Aga Khan Foundation: Islamic Community Center

torvald

• 2 weeks later...

Facilities just announced the pending sale of the AIG land on the NW corner of Dallas and Montrose, which includes the grassy area bordering the corner, which includes one surface parking lot off Dallas b/w entrance 6 and 7. No other scoop, yet.

You should be able to see it by using the link Lockmat put up on the SE corner thread:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...8&encType=1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
We'll make a preservationist out of you yet, Niche. ;)

Your statement does brings to light one problem; car culture is too fast to take in architectural details like that, and that could be one reason that Houston has lost so many. New York, on the other hand, seems to have strong preservationist bloodlines. L.A....sort of.

But anyway, if more people were able to slow down and enjoy beauty like this, we might see less destruction of these treasures.

I personally believe you either have an eye for architectural details, or you don't (No matter how fast your car is going). Of course, most people on the HAIF forum do. My car never has a problem slowing down, when a bldg. catches my eye. All those others behind me can just "!@#$%^&*". I'm gonna look. I admired the Sears bldg. for many years. Just figures, it's gone too. The Houston I grew up with is slowly just disappearing. :angry:

a fence now surrounds the perimeter and tiny red flags dot the property. something's going on.

I'll be interested to see if it is really going to be the mosque. I liked the old building, but I also have pictures of it after Allison where water came halfway up the side of the building along Montrose. From what I've heard about the mosques that these particular folks put up, we might get something great in its place. I'm a preservationist, but I also believe that sometimes good old things have to go to make way for the good old stuff of tomorrow. Just as long as they replace it with somethig as interesting as what was there, I'll be happy. Unfortunately that rarely happens around here.

This is a link to the Ismaili center in London. It's obviously on a much smaller piece of property, but it's definitely more intersting than another Alexan apartment.

http://archnet.org/library/images/one-imag...;image_id=38754

Edited by capnmcbarnacle

I'll be interested to see if it is really going to be the mosque. I liked the old building, but I also have pictures of it after Allison where water came halfway up the side of the building along Montrose. From what I've heard about the mosques that these particular folks put up, we might get something great in its place. I'm a preservationist, but I also believe that sometimes good old things have to go to make way for the good old stuff of tomorrow. Just as long as they replace it with somethig as interesting as what was there, I'll be happy. Unfortunately that rarely happens around here.

This is a link to the Ismaili center in London. It's obviously on a much smaller piece of property, but it's definitely more intersting than another Alexan apartment.

http://archnet.org/library/images/one-imag...;image_id=38754

Agree,

IMO the old building was just built in the wrong place to begin with. Was just to obtrusive and close to the street. Just wonder if any of the facade or anything was saved? :(

This was a large, full-service retail store, maybe the first outside of the CBD. It only became a warehouse after the flood.

There is just such a callous attitude here and that, more than anything, has me negative about Houston at times. We lack a good balance between historic and new. One of the reasons I like city living is the get the feeling of history and it's that same feeling that makes suburban living so unappealing. Plain buildings become something else when they survive the decades. Even plain buildings become special to a degree when they survive a long time, and this one wasn't plain, it started out special.

Anyway, we've talked this point into the ground but hopefully the so-called urban renaissance and all of those who are responsible for it are also sensitive to these things and so the ordinances will eventually change as the city's people continue to.

Please, the Robinson Public Warehouse has been a warehouse since at least 1950, so what flood are you talking about?

per the July 3rd Planning Commission, it's going to be a high end shopping center.

The developer is: GZ MONTROSE/ W. DALLAS LLC.

Company is: Terra Surveying Company

Staff Recommendation: Grant the requested variance(s) and Approve the plat subject to the conditions listed

• 4 months later...

Link to Sears/ Robinson Warehouse Pics: http://www.historichouston.org/newsite/ima...exas/index.html

Link to Flood article, mentions Sears: http://books.google.com/books?id=bYIIV5Zob...result#PPA90,M1

These sites were mentioned above, by other HAIFers.

These are the best pics I've seen yet, of the original Sears bldg.

Edited by NenaE

• 2 weeks later...
Link to Sears/ Robinson Warehouse Pics: http://www.historichouston.org/newsite/ima...exas/index.html

Link to Flood article, mentions Sears: http://books.google.com/books?id=bYIIV5Zob...result#PPA90,M1

These sites were mentioned above, by other HAIFers.

These are the best pics I've seen yet, of the original Sears bldg.

Found some old Allison pics. The first is of the side door to the buliding along Montrose, a good ways up from Allen Parkway. The othes are the intersection of Montrose and Allen Parkway and Memorial. Gives you a good idea of what happens around there when big ones hit...

Allison1.jpg

Allison2.jpg

Allison3.jpg

Thanks for posting those pics capnmc...I can't get over how the city has never found a way to channel at least some of this flood water somewhere else, in the case of overflow. This spot seems to have never improved it's drainage issues since the 1920's. I know that sometimes, in extreme cases, the rainwater rate and length have a lot to do with it, the water has nowhere to go. Couldn't there be retention ponds built for some of this flow? Rising flood water is so dangerous. I know, it's a lot of water.

Edited by NenaE

• 2 weeks later...

The intersection near where the bridge will be built is surrounded by apartment complexes that have spurred new development, including a nearby Islamic community center funded by the Aga Khan Foundation that some civic leaders expect to be an architectural wonder.

I've seen this one mentioned a few times and the above is from the Houston Chronicle article . Does anyone have any further information or renderings on this one? Whatever the final design, I hope its woven into the urban fabric the area is deperately trying to create with the Fingers site, Regent Square, Archstone, new bridge, and the other proposals in close proximity to this location.

• Like 1

The intersection near where the bridge will be built is surrounded by apartment complexes that have spurred new development, including a nearby Islamic community center funded by the Aga Khan Foundation that some civic leaders expect to be an architectural wonder.

I've seen this one mentioned a few times and the above is from the Houston Chronicle article . Does anyone have any further information or renderings on this one? Whatever the final design, I hope its woven into the urban fabric the area is deperately trying to create with the Fingers site, Regent Square, Archstone, new bridge, and the other proposals in close proximity to this location.

Agreed. I've looked for more information about this online and haven't been able to find anything. I am very interested to see what it will look like--though there's no telling when it will actually be built given the current economic climate.

As an aside, my first thought when hearing the name "Tolerance Bridge" was that the bridge's proximity to Houston's new Ismaili Center had to cross through the minds of those in charge of choosing the name. I would be surprised if they didn't at least consider the fact that the bridge will be right across the street from the future center of Houston's Islamic community.

Is there a large Islamic community in this part of Houston? Just curious to why this location was chosen.

I found it very interesting that they picked a site right in the middle of what is destined to become yuppieville. That is a great location though...I was really rooting for a renovation and rehab of that old deco influenced warehouse before they leveled it.

Is there a large Islamic community in this part of Houston? Just curious to why this location was chosen.

I'm not sure, but it is in the middle Gaytown. Isn't that punishable by death in Islam? It's queer that they picked this location.