Aga Khan Foundation: Islamic Community Center

torvald

• 2 months later...
18 minutes ago, CasualObserver said:

You can't expect a non-profit group to just recklessly barge ahead with a plan that started a mere...check notes...11 years ago.

If its a project where you only build one in each country then they are going to take their time to make sure they like what they are going to build. Not to mention if its a non-profit + a religious group then they aren't going to be pushed to construct this as quickly like one that is looking to profit from what they want built immediately like a regular client. I do hope this does get off the ground soon, but I rather then take the time they need to get this right the first time than pushing it just to get built and then they aren't satisfied with the result.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

They bought this valuable plot 11 years ago. It's much more valuable now as the neighbors are tons of towers and mid-rises and Whole Foods and a completely rehabbed park. They don't pay taxes on it while it sits designated as a "park." 

I would be surprised if they eventually sell this at a HUGE profit all while never paying a dime in taxes. Hope I'm wrong but the older I get the more cynical I become.

• Like 3

On 1/29/2020 at 12:42 PM, bobruss said:

They might have purchased the land many years ago, but they just named an architect to design the project a year ago. 

Didn't they have a public event with scaled models of the whole site? This thing has already been schematically designed...we just need them to release the design to the public. 

• Like 5

Hopefully they would make them public at some point in the near future. Everyone is waiting to see what this site will evolve into. 

I just know after many years of waiting for the pot to boil, I've finally learned that a watched pot never boils.

It will come when they're ready. It always seems that these type of projects get announced when you least expect it. 

• Like 3

• The title was changed to NW Corner Of West Dallas And Montrose
  • 6 months later...
6 hours ago, tangledwoods said:

I drive by this site everyday and have noticed increased activity.  They have a dumpster and a McCarthy trailer on site.  There also looks to be some site cleanup / clearing going on.  No heavy equipment is onsite yet but things might just be kicking off!

I can't wait for improved sidewalks in this area from Allen to Dallas.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Triton said:

I can't wait for improved sidewalks in this area from Allen to Dallas.

So speaking on that. How does the city not notice these need an upgrade and not do something based off city ROW? Is our city that lazy or incompetent or is this because the land is private property? 

• Like 4

Sidewalk repairs cost money. My guess is that the City, knowing this project was coming, has held off on allocating/finding money to spend on this connection. My hope is that they've been working with the property owner to make sure there's a wide, consistent concrete sidewalk/trail for both pedestrians and cyclists along Montrose as part of the project. The owners will be required to rebuild the sidewalk regardless, but a 5' sidewalk is not adequate here. 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Texasota said:

Sidewalk repairs cost money. My guess is that the City, knowing this project was coming, has held off on allocating/finding money to spend on this connection. My hope is that they've been working with the property owner to make sure there's a wide, consistent concrete sidewalk/trail for both pedestrians and cyclists along Montrose as part of the project. The owners will be required to rebuild the sidewalk regardless, but a 5' sidewalk is not adequate here. 

Our fair city doesn't really build sidewalks or even maintain them; instead, that job gets handed to the developers and property owners to accomplish.  Yes, it's public right of way, but even when the city did it way back when they would come back and impose a paving lien on the adjacent property owners.

Also, construction on this scale would really trash the sidewalks.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, mollusk said:

Our fair city doesn't really build sidewalks or even maintain them; instead, that job gets handed to the developers and property owners to accomplish.  Yes, it's public right of way, but even when the city did it way back when they would come back and impose a paving lien on the adjacent property owners.

Also, construction on this scale would really trash the sidewalks.

I think Houston's approach is actually pretty standard.  Property owners are responsible for sidewalks.  Where Houston has differed (and failed, especially in the past), is in imposing and enforcing sidewalk requirements.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

I think Houston's approach is actually pretty standard.  Property owners are responsible for sidewalks.  Where Houston has differed (and failed, especially in the past), is in imposing and enforcing sidewalk requirements.

Just because it's "standard" government abuse does not necessarily make it right lol...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Texasota said:

Agree. Isn't this whole development going to be walkable though? I figure 10ft sidewalks will prob go here. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, iah77 said:

Just because it's "standard" government abuse does not necessarily make it right lol...

Yeah but I do get the point that many cities take this approach. I think the bigger issue is enforcing the ordinance already in place that they must be maintained. At some point I see the city ticketing property owners. The good thing is the minimum is 5ft opposed to 3ft in the past. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Yoda said:

This is such a prominent location. I kind of wish this was going to be a mixed use development similar to "The Allen" but larger in scope.

I'm torn. I agree with you in part since a row of mixed use down the Parkway, with the Whole Foods just right there, would make it a pedestrian paradise. But a part of me says that because it is such a prominent location it makes even more sense to have such a public cultural/spiritual place go into the space. The Menil/Rothko Chapel helps give Montrose a sense of permanency, and provides a v positive space for gathering and reflection for the neighborhood and Houston, that I love the thought of having that replicated.

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, X.R. said:

I'm torn. I agree with you in part since a row of mixed use down the Parkway, with the Whole Foods just right there, would make it a pedestrian paradise. But a part of me says that because it is such a prominent location it makes even more sense to have such a public cultural/spiritual place go into the space. The Menil/Rothko Chapel helps give Montrose a sense of permanency, and provides a v positive space for gathering and reflection for the neighborhood and Houston, that I love the thought of having that replicated.

I know this is more of an Ismaili community center and not necessarily an Ismaili place of worship, but as someone familiar with this sect, I will say that Ismaili places of worship are very strict about not letting non-Ismailis in.

Again, this doesn’t apply to mosques in general (anyone is welcome in a mosque in Houston, regardless of religion), but to Ismaili/Aga Khani places of worship in particular.

Edited by clutchcity94
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, clutchcity94 said:

I know this is more of an Ismaili community center and not necessarily an Ismaili place of worship, but as someone familiar with this sect, I will say that Ismaili places of worship are very strict about not letting non-Ismailis in.

Again, this doesn’t apply to mosques in general (anyone is welcome in a mosque in Houston, regardless of religion), but to Ismaili/Aga Khani places of worship in particular.

So you're telling me this entire plot of land won't be accessible to the public when it's finished? Yeah we def need 10ft sidewalks along Montrose. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, clutchcity94 said:

I believe the prayer hall will probably be private, but otherwise it should be pretty open to the public similar to the Toronto center. https://the.ismaili/ismailicentres/toronto/visiting-toronto

The decision makers behind this project have been pretty tight lipped on this since they acquired the site. I'm a member, but doubt I'll hear about ground-breaking prior to the general public.

• Like 6

23 hours ago, X.R. said:

Having a grocery store within walking distance is dandy, but not necessarily something to be "enjoyed" on a daily basis as a park like environment would be.

• Like 3