Aga Khan Foundation: Islamic Community Center

torvald

I'd be SO sad if it was torn down...but I've been preparing my self. I love that building! but, it is too much of a prime location to keep sitting vacant. I figure the building must be pretty damaged, otherwise it would be lofts by now...

I think I'll need to take some pics to remember it by...

I'd be SO sad if it was torn down...but I've been preparing my self. I love that building! but, it is too much of a prime location to keep sitting vacant. I figure the building must be pretty damaged, otherwise it would be lofts by now...

I think I'll need to take some pics to remember it by...

yeah, this would be the time to do that -

i think the company name that's doing the abatement is texas environmental controls (?)

i wonder if they would/could offer any information...

Hello,

I am new to this website and if this question has already been answered, then I am sorry. What is going to be built at Montrose and Dallas? I notice that the demo has begun on the old building towards Dallas. The large old Sears building that faces Allen Pkwy has yet to be touched. I live next door and was just curious to what is going to be built there.

Thanks!

Yes that's the one. It is on the corner of Dallas and Montrose. They are building new townhomes across the street. The building and most of the old concrete parking lot is demolished and has been hauled away. I am going to walk my dog by there tonight and try and read the permit posted. We could use some retail over in that area other than the Chevron. ;)

Yes that's the one. It is on the corner of Dallas and Montrose. They are building new townhomes across the street. The building and most of the old concrete parking lot is demolished and has been hauled away. I am going to walk my dog by there tonight and try and read the permit posted. We could use some retail over in that area other than the Chevron. ;)

archstone smith owns the site and are planning to do apartments.

across the street is not townhomes but more apartments. originally owned by farb, mccombs purchased his plans and will develop around +/- 400 units.

• 2 weeks later...
archstone smith owns the site and are planning to do apartments.

across the street is not townhomes but more apartments. originally owned by farb, mccombs purchased his plans and will develop around +/- 400 units.

This backs up to the old Robertson Public Warehouse. The warehouse's location and the building you are talking about on the south side of Buffalo Bayou is why Southern Pacific had to build the railroad bridge across the bayou way back when. The wooden bridge was torn down not so long ago. The concrete abuttments are still visible on either side of the bayou if you look close enough. The bridge was kind of a landmark.....too bad!

It is being torn down and turned into a Muslim center. See today's Chronicle:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...iz/4337706.html

Muslim center planned for Allen Parkway

By NANCY SARNOFF

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

The Aga Khan Foundation has purchased an 11.3-acre parcel of land along Allen Parkway and Montrose, including the historic Robinson Warehouse.

The international development nonprofit organization plans to build an Ismaili Center on the property. The facility will be similar to existing Muslim centers in Vancouver, London and Lisbon. It will include a prayer hall, classrooms, offices and a multipurpose social hall, said Zahir Janmohamed, CEO of the Aga Khan Council for the USA.

The design concept and development timeline have not been determined.

The property, which runs along Montrose from Allen Parkway to West Dallas, includes the Robinson Warehouse at 2323 Allen Parkway The 1920s building was the first Sears department store in Houston, according to the Greater Houston Preservation Alliance. It will be demolished to make room for the new project.

By NANCY SARNOFF

The Aga Khan Foundation has purchased an 11.3-acre parcel of land along Allen Parkway and Montrose, including the historic Robinson Warehouse.

The international development nonprofit organization plans to build an Ismaili Center on the property. The facility will be similar to existing Muslim centers in Vancouver, London and Lisbon. It will include a prayer hall, classrooms, offices and a multipurpose social hall, said Zahir Janmohamed, CEO of the Aga Khan Council for the USA.

The design concept and development timeline have not been determined.

The property, which runs along Montrose from Allen Parkway to West Dallas, includes the Robinson Warehouse at 2323 Allen Parkway The 1920s building was the first Sears department store in Houston, according to the Greater Houston Preservation Alliance. It will be demolished to make room for the new project.

• Like 1

By NANCY SARNOFF

I hate to see the old warehouse go, but I like what we'll be getting. I'd say its worth it.

We are losing the war on sleeping in, I can assure you of that! I just moved into the Bel-Air and my unit faces the demolition. Metal sure makes a screeching sound as its folded for hauling off. On the bright side, the call to worship might be able to replace my alarm clock...

I bet it will be a well designed building. With the price that they paid (north of $80 psf), it surely wont be tiltwall construction.

We are losing the war on sleeping in, I can assure you of that! I just moved into the Bel-Air and my unit faces the demolition. Metal sure makes a screeching sound as its folded for hauling off. On the bright side, the call to worship might be able to replace my alarm clock...

I bet it will be a well designed building. With the price that they paid (north of $80 psf), it surely wont be tiltwall construction.

Topics merged.

Well, look on the bright side; you might be in a very safe spot if we ever have a terrorist attack in Houston! (a joke people, just a little joke)

Ah well, I hate to see the old warehouse go down like so many other neat buildings but I have to keep reminding myself where I am and that architecture is attached to buildings, which are attached to land, which can be valuable. I have more of a collector mentality, I suppose.

Only in Houston would you have United Way headquartered across the bayou from a Federal Reserve Branch, public housing, a funeral company headquarters, and now an Ismaili center.

Love it!

Danax - I thought Downtown would be saved because of the Islamic Center on Main? :P

I hadn't noticed, but that does make for an interesting cluster...

I want the bricks from Sears.

Anybody need a patio?

Don't be greedy now, save some for me. (just paid $600 to repair the broken rear shock mount in my car, thanks to "free" bricks). :(

You paid about $550 for labor, my friend. Know anyone who's handy with tools?

I know. It was many hours of welding, the sheet metal was gone. I've worked on many cars in the past but now have no tools and no garage.

Back to the Sears warehouse, I would hope someone would take the time to remove and save those carved stone decorative relief panels around the building (yeah, right). Very early art deco and worthy of contemplation. I took some pics and will post them when I get home.

Here's a link to a brief history of the building.

Not sure. Last time I drove by I thought the building was still there.

Has the demo started?

Yep. They've got the demo company and the enviro company (asbestos) on site so this is not one of those easy pickin places. The interior is being bulldozer gutted today.

Not sure. Last time I drove by I thought the building was still there.

Has the demo started?

Yup. I drove by there an hour ago. There are two huge hole in the north side of the building. Looks like currently they are salvaging steel from inside the building. There is also a crane onsite.

Get your pictures quick.