Pasadena Southmore

foxmulder

Why the heck is Southmore mainly gone? For example. The wendy's near the mall is closed, Old memorial hermann is closed, Old Grandy's is closed, Mervyns You guessed it.. Old bank Closed. The area has a lot of vehicular traffic. It's kinda depressing the northwest side of Pasadena Town Square is dead! Nothing exist past morrows nut house 'cept a uniform store and a coke machine. Aside "from the smell" (which we get in the winter months.) What do you think it would take to spruce up the area?

Why the heck is Southmore mainly gone?

Aside "from the smell" (which we get in the winter months.) What do you think it would take to spruce up the area?

Southmore is disapearing largely as a result of demographics. It hung on for a good long while, but just couldn't manage the change. Mervyn's had pulled out of Texas entirely, not Pasadena's fault. Memorial Hermann needed a new facility and moved further south, closer to where its paying customer base is. The newer Wal-Mart Supercenter probably hurt a lot of competitors' retail sales at Pasadena Town Square. And since very few corporate decision makers live in or near Pasadena anymore and there has been time for long-term leases to roll over completely, the office vacancy rate is out of control.

Despite its demographic issues, Pasadena has refineries for a tax base, so the City has a great deal of financial flexibility in what they want to do. As for what they should do, that's more difficult to say. They've got a lot of land and vacant properties to work with in the vicinity of Southmore and Pasadena Blvd. They could just about rebuild it from the ground up if they were so inclined.

Southmore is disapearing largely as a result of demographics. It hung on for a good long while, but just couldn't manage the change. Mervyn's had pulled out of Texas entirely, not Pasadena's fault. Memorial Hermann needed a new facility and moved further south, closer to where its paying customer base is. The newer Wal-Mart Supercenter probably hurt a lot of competitors' retail sales at Pasadena Town Square. And since very few corporate decision makers live in or near Pasadena anymore and there has been time for long-term leases to roll over completely, the office vacancy rate is out of control.

Despite its demographic issues, Pasadena has refineries for a tax base, so the City has a great deal of financial flexibility in what they want to do. As for what they should do, that's more difficult to say. They've got a lot of land and vacant properties to work with in the vicinity of Southmore and Pasadena Blvd. They could just about rebuild it from the ground up if they were so inclined.

I'm waiting for a starbucks to come :( Might be never in this area. Supposedly the bank tower is suppose to open up remodeled with a few resturants. I can't wait. It would be nice if they decided to rebuild, I love history and art but some buildings are OLD. Not compact like some stores.

I'm waiting for a starbucks to come :( Might be never in this area. Supposedly the bank tower is suppose to open up remodeled with a few resturants. I can't wait. It would be nice if they decided to rebuild, I love history and art but some buildings are OLD. Not compact like some stores.

The four closest stores to the Town Square are:

1. Spencer Highway and Burke Road

3530-A Spencer Hwy

Pasadena, 77504

2. Super Target Pasadena ST-1396

5757 Fairmont Parkway

Pasadena, 77504

3. Fairmont & Pansy

5118 Fairmont Parkway

Pasadena, 77505

4. Beltway 8 & Fairmont Parkway

5769 Fairmont Parkway

Pasadena TX, 77505

It would help, as a start, if the City of Pasedena reconstructed some of the roads in the immediate area (and when I say streets, I mean the sidewalks, too), including Shaver Street, Southmore and Pasadena Blvd. The core of Pasadena, just like the core of all cities, should display a certain level of asthetic pride because, presumably, this is where visitors are the most likely to congregate for whatever purpose. Hard to shop revitalization to outsiders (read: the private sector) when the public sector isn't willing to invest in it themselves.

Just my take...

well i grew up off pasadena southmore and my folks still live there so i'll chime in.

1- area used to be a middle class caucasian neighborhood of workers that worked in the chemical plants, steel mills and such in pasadena, baytown, laporte, deer park, texas city, etc.

was a very blue collar sort of town.

not very much commercial business other than a few grocery stores, fast food joints, etc.

back in the 70-80s is when the transition began where the caucasian population began to move out and primarily hispanic population moved in. due to the KKK presence over off Red Bluff the african american population never really was keen to moving to pasadena even tho i believe they bolted in the late 80s to vidor (not sure, just remember that store front no longer having the sign)

in the late 80s to early 90s seems like there was a 50/50 mix of caucasians/hispanics. i was in HS at this time and gosh it was pretty dicey there for a while as the 2 groups were battling each other. i saw kids at school often times with guns...i left there and tranferred to another school- there was burgeoning gang problem but it didn't seem overtly obnoxious to where you couldn't walk down the street...

seems like there was very little commerical development in the area and likely the ownership of properties had owned the properties for years...they did very little in the way of improvements.

most of the people in this area shopped off of 45 even tho pasadena town square provided a small amount of shopping.

there was a point where it seemed that whole area of southmore all the shopping outside of hte mall was virtually closed up.

fast forward to about 3 years ago...

i returned to the houston area and spent much more time in pasadena- seems like the demographics of southmore is likely closer to 90% hispanics...

the old sears was tore down about 10 years ago and a brand new walmart supercenter replaced it, seems all the shops around the wal mart were full and plenty of them renovated.

its not a glamorous area of town, but IMO since the population is predominantly one ethnic group, seems commercial development has increased....

Is the Luby's still there?

yes

and they still have a tea lady instead of 'waiters' where you have to tip.

• 10 months later...

GhostDog: With SchoolDigger I can see ethnic changes at the high schools that serve the City of Pasadena.

Pasadena ISD:

* Pasadena HS: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/...839/school.aspx

* Sam Rayburn HS: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/...843/school.aspx

* Pasadena Memorial HS: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/...283/school.aspx

* South Houston HS: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/...849/school.aspx

(Dobie HS is in the Houston city limits and serves sections of Houston and Pearland as well as some unincorporated areas)

Deer Park ISD:

* Deer Park HS: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/...415/school.aspx

Clear Creek ISD:

* Clear Lake HS: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/...906/school.aspx (Yes, there are parts of Pasadena in CCISD)

NOTE: I think CCISD should build a new high school in Seabrook to relieve Clear Lake High School.

NOTE: I think CCISD should build a new high school in Seabrook to relieve Clear Lake High School.

I e-mailed a CCISD employee and he told me that CCISD is building a new high school in League City south of Seabrook. I assume that this will affect zoning boundaries of Clear Lake and Clear Creek high schools.

if i see an 18 yr old with him on tv,,,,,i'll assume it is you.

I'm 19 going on 20 :)

The most recent bond project ('07) in CCISD calls for one new high school and various other new schools.

BTW, here's a link to an article regarding Pasadena Town Square:

http://deadmalls.com/malls/pasadena_town_square.html

I was born in Pasadena and have lived there most of my life. I've noticed lately that Pasadena has changed and not for the better. It saddens me to see what Pasadena has become. Just the other day, I was thinking that I did not want to be at the Pasadena Town Square Mall after dark. I never dreamt I would feel that way about Pasadena, it always seemed like a safe town, that is until now. I would like to know if the Pasadena Rodeo Parade still travels down Southmore. I heard that the route has changed and that it no longer goes down Southmore. If this is true, I can understand why.

• 8 months later...

I've got to put a plug in for the cool "Antique Junction", located at 111 W. Southmore, Pasadena,Tx. It has great, walking back in time, yesterday. Has a nice collection of vintage treasures. Nice display of toys. The store is right by where the Abel's pharmacy was, long strip center. The gentleman we talked to told us that it was once a furniture store. Approximately 20 yrs ago it was bought by the current owners. It has a bank cage-type setup in the back, left, with old post office boxes (Don't know if it's original to the bldg). Has 2 old, very wide staircases that lead to a second floor filled w/ vintage items. (It was very similar to the Sears bldg. that used to stand diagonally across the street). Have a feeling it's may be older than the 1950's decor (doors, floors,...) It's one of those places I grew up seeing, and saying, "I need to go in there!".

• 2 weeks later...
That was my fave Luby's. And the Casa Ole down the strett was pretty good, too.

I spent a lot of time in this area in the 70s.

When I was a kid in the early 90s, we used to hit both those places after YMCA basketball games.

Yall know where the (office depot is still there) old mervyns used to be i

n front of the mall,well, steve and barry's is there now and a ross coming soon.

Also, Southmore Int is being moved and rebuilt and bobby shaw

middle school(very modern) is buing built in its field.

• 1 month later...
well i grew up off pasadena southmore and my folks still live there so i'll chime in.

1- area used to be a middle class caucasian neighborhood of workers that worked in the chemical plants, steel mills and such in pasadena, baytown, laporte, deer park, texas city, etc.

was a very blue collar sort of town.

not very much commercial business other than a few grocery stores, fast food joints, etc.

back in the 70-80s is when the transition began where the caucasian population began to move out and primarily hispanic population moved in. due to the KKK presence over off Red Bluff the african american population never really was keen to moving to pasadena even tho i believe they bolted in the late 80s to vidor (not sure, just remember that store front no longer having the sign)

in the late 80s to early 90s seems like there was a 50/50 mix of caucasians/hispanics. i was in HS at this time and gosh it was pretty dicey there for a while as the 2 groups were battling each other. i saw kids at school often times with guns...i left there and tranferred to another school- there was burgeoning gang problem but it didn't seem overtly obnoxious to where you couldn't walk down the street...

seems like there was very little commerical development in the area and likely the ownership of properties had owned the properties for years...they did very little in the way of improvements.

most of the people in this area shopped off of 45 even tho pasadena town square provided a small amount of shopping.

there was a point where it seemed that whole area of southmore all the shopping outside of hte mall was virtually closed up.

fast forward to about 3 years ago...

i returned to the houston area and spent much more time in pasadena- seems like the demographics of southmore is likely closer to 90% hispanics...

the old sears was tore down about 10 years ago and a brand new walmart supercenter replaced it, seems all the shops around the wal mart were full and plenty of them renovated.

its not a glamorous area of town, but IMO since the population is predominantly one ethnic group, seems commercial development has increased....

yes

and they still have a tea lady instead of 'waiters' where you have to tip.

I agree with the change in ethnicity numbers, is now predominately Hispanic, but believe Katrina refugees have affected the numbers of Pasadena in recent years, as well. The construction of the beltway also affected the "somewhat isolated" city.

• 1 month later...
Yall know where the (office depot is still there) old mervyns used to be i

n front of the mall,well, steve and barry's is there now and a ross coming soon.

Also, Southmore Int is being moved and rebuilt and bobby shaw

middle school(very modern) is buing built in its field.

I heard a rumour from the store(Office Depot) the landlord promised to spruce up the place. I drove by at night...Boy it's dark in the parking lots.

• 2 weeks later...
I heard a rumour from the store(Office Depot) the landlord promised to spruce up the place. I drove by at night...Boy it's dark in the parking lots.

What does he/ you mean by "spruce up the place"?

Anyways the New Police Dept. is finishing up quite nicely, imo ,although instead of its vertical old home it took the horizontal path.... And you can see the DATED construction google map image if you go to the link below... Which also has the library renovation/ addition

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&clie...mp;t=h&z=17

What does he/ you mean by "spruce up the place"?

Anyways the New Police Dept. is finishing up quite nicely, imo ,although instead of its vertical old home it took the horizontal path.... And you can see the DATED construction google map image if you go to the link below... Which also has the library renovation/ addition

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&clie...mp;t=h&z=17

They promised to fix the parking lot, new signage/monument and an upgrade to the shopping center.

I really think at one time (back when) that Southmore had some real promise to become a major thouroufare for shopping etc. Maybe I should say it once was.

The old Sears has been brought up on ocassion, the Walmart is one that I rather avoid. There once was a good photographer just across from where that Walmart now stands. Not sure if there still had my "79" grad pics taken there. By looking at the majority of the crowd that enters Walmart its easy to see why the Southmore district went down hill. When Mervyn's left it left such a big gap like a missing tooth. I sure miss the Wyatt's Cafeteria across the street. :(

Even that Pasadena Town Sq Mall is barely hanging on. Its a miracle Macy's is still hanging around? The crowd in that mall looks more like Goodwill or dollar store clientele. Truth, sorry. That whole area just seems like its 1974 still. Everyone rather be at BayBrook Mall, at least you feel like it's 2008. :)

I really think at one time (back when) that Southmore had some real promise to become a major thouroufare for shopping etc. Maybe I should say it once was.

The old Sears has been brought up on ocassion, the Walmart is one that I rather avoid. There once was a good photographer just across from where that Walmart now stands. Not sure if there still had my "79" grad pics taken there. By looking at the majority of the crowd that enters Walmart its easy to see why the Southmore district went down hill. When Mervyn's left it left such a big gap like a missing tooth. I sure miss the Wyatt's Cafeteria across the street. :(

Even that Pasadena Town Sq Mall is barely hanging on. Its a miracle Macy's is still hanging around? The crowd in that mall looks more like Goodwill or dollar store clientele. Truth, sorry. That whole area just seems like its 1974 still. Everyone rather be at BayBrook Mall, at least you feel like it's 2008. :)

Read somewhere that before Sears was built on that land, neighborhood houses were there. In the early 70's, when we went to the Pasadena Foley's, I often thought "they should build a mall" to go with it. Foley's sat on a huge piece of land, empty expanse to the north. Too bad it didn't work out very well. Remember that Sears had Winnie -the-Pooh items, Foleys had Peanuts.

There's a lot of truth to what you said, but you should focus on the good things too, not just bad ,even if there's more bad than good...

• Ross is , according to a sign, is coming where a half of Mervyns used to be
  • Considering that Steve And Barrys is closing many stores, the Fact that the Steve and Barrys on Southmore is there after 1 year and planning to stay, speaks for itself
  • Macys parking lots are never empty , the ones in the side facing southmore anyway.(Sears too)

• And the mall isnt dead yet, so theres hope..
  • All of the buildings that are 2 stories and higher are in that area ( the Bank of America Bldng, Shell Fed. Bldng. City Hall, The 'Via-something' building behind the mall and Library, The Police Station, 1st Pasadena State Bank Bldng,old Memorial Hospital , and the 2 Buildings beside it)

gallery_6503_98_2398.jpg

gallery_6503_98_5283.jpgPasadena_lrg.jpg

Archived