Houston Brag

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you see the name of this site? Houston architecture Info Forum.

What is the point in cheerleading our city to a group of fellow residents that already know the pros and cons of our city.

LOL.

I was thinking the exact same thing, but I do have to admit, the facts that are posted up there are interesting and it helps me with my knowledge of the city from those out of town.

What is the point in cheerleading our city to a group of fellow residents that already know the pros and cons of our city.

There is way too much "Oh we're so much cooler/bigger/urban/diverse/________ than I thought we were" mindless comments here.

Well I knew (or remembered) most of the information. But wasn't aware of "Houston has the second largest volume of theatre and performance art space (in terms of square footage) in the United States ranking only behind New York " Maybe I was aware of it at one point, but i had forgotten.

Houston Facts B)

Houston Pavilions Link

Houston is home to the world headquarters of more Fortune 500 companies than any city in the United States other than New York

I think we recently passed up NY in this category. Here's the thread: http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...;hl=fortune+500 EDIT: I just re-read the thread - and it was TEXAS who passed up NY. Houston is still #2 to NYC. Sorry, my bad.

What is the point in cheerleading our city to a group of fellow residents that already know the pros and cons of our city. There is way too much "Oh we're so much cooler/bigger/urban/diverse/________ than I thought we were" mindless comments here.

As a 3rd generation Houstonian, I don't find these to be mindless comments. Sure, I've seen many of these facts before, but I thought it was interesting to see them all listed together in one nice post. A good post IMHO.

And, SunKing, you have a problem with Houston presenting facts on its own forum? That would be your problem. And if it is a problem, you are still on the board? I am confused. HAIF (HOUSTON Architecture Info Forum). This forum can be habit forming. We recommend you go to the Dallas forum for withdrawals. :lol:

SunKing .... not you.... you are cool. (I deleted the post that started with Sun King.) Sorry, it was the wine at lunch and in my haste, I didn't realize it was a Highway 6 who posted the crap. :lol:

Whomever posted that cheerleading thing..... HIGHWAY 6. Hell, what does Highway 6 know? Christ, Highway 6 is somewhere close to nuttin'.... Thanks, Trae. I am supposed to be working and the phone is ringing and the people are asking questions and I can't think... not that I ever could. :blush:

Sun King: thank you. I like factoids too. The people who can't handle the truth will eventually dry up and blow away. :o

There is way too much "Oh we're so much cooler/bigger/urban/diverse/________ than I thought we were" mindless comments here.

YOU ...... mindless????? come on. I make mistakes but mindless??? Where are your contributions on this site? Come on, give 'em to me. Don't want to see what Houston Pavilions writes about our downtown, etc. Read the f**king Readers Digest. :lol::lol::lol:

Oh, for crying out loud, give the constant negativity a rest. I frequent boards such as this for several different city and NONE of the others come close in the level of NEGATIVE posts regarding the subject city. What is wrong with posting some FACTS about Houston that just happen to be positive?

If Highway6 would have read the post just a bit closer, he might have commented on the fact that it is a LOS ANGELES developer cheerleading Houston to potential tennants for his $200 million dollar downtown project. The discussion might then have turned to what out-of-state businesses think is interesting or important about locating their stores here.

But then that might have detracted from his apparently self-appointed role of arbiter of approved content on this forum.

I can get as annoyed at houstonfella's sappy 'Texas Uber Alles' posts as anyone, but to suggest that this forum is ONLY about architecture is ridiculous. In fact, in the last year or so, it is RARELY about architecture, including many of Highway6's posts (if I cared to look them up). The point is, houstonfella has as much right to post mindless factoids as Highway6 has to criticize them...and, I have to comment about it.

If Highway6 would have read the post just a bit closer, he might have commented on the fact that it is a LOS ANGELES developer cheerleading Houston to potential tennants for his $200 million dollar downtown project. The discussion might then have turned to what out-of-state businesses think is interesting or important about locating their stores here.

But then that might have detracted from his apparently self-appointed role of arbiter of approved content on this forum.

I can get as annoyed at houstonfella's sappy 'Texas Uber Alles' posts as anyone, but to suggest that this forum is ONLY about architecture is ridiculous. In fact, in the last year or so, it is RARELY about architecture, including many of Highway6's posts (if I cared to look them up). The point is, houstonfella has as much right to post mindless factoids as Highway6 has to criticize them...and, I have to comment about it.

as usual, well stated (what's up with the dog?) Red.

I'm not annoyed by them either, but I know some of them are those that have been stated before in other posts. I just kinda' wished there was a place we can post all those interesting little facts without making dupes or making it easier to do a fact check on without trying to do an exhaustive check on this or another system.

I also didn't realize that it was an out of state company cheerleading us on, but it would have been interesting to know the story behind it and what they think about it.

excuse me, I need more coffee.

I wasn't putting the emphasis on architecture... I was putting the emphasis on Houston.

I realize this forum encompasses all things urban/political/Houston related and is more than just buildings. We discuss a little bit of everything and i enjoy that and was in no way objecting to that.

I'm just complaining about the cheerleading/preaching to the choir.

If there was one or two somethings on that list that stood out.. by all means.. start a post on it and lets discuss it. But to post the entire list... it's like making a promotional Houston commerical then only showing it on the air in the Houston market.

Red I agree with you on its purpose on the Pavillions site.. but we're not the investors here that need to be sold on Houston. I don't object to it being on the Pavillions site... I object to the entire list being posted on here as if its a big whoop and its stuff the majority of us don't know. We don't need to be told here Gee Houston is condsidered the energy capital of the world... I just don't see the point.

I admit I was in a bad mood and was reacting to the culmination of reading some other posts along the same lines of "Gee I didnt know we were so awesome" in some other threads. Houstonfella.. I apologize.

Who cares?

Hestly, I don't care about this stuff. And I don't know anybody who goes to these things. Call me a Philistine, I don't care.

Again, who cares?

So what?

So?

Meaningless.

Again, I don't really care.

So what?

Thank you for that insightful and important contribution.

• 1 month later...

That's an interesting little list they compiled there.

Random thoughts:

- I would believe it about Houston being the fourth best restaurant city. If anything, I think we should rank higher when you consider the diversity, quality of service and prices.

- I had never heard that about being the most ethnically diverse. For some reason I was thinking it was LA. Does anyone know the source for that?

- If you have to boast about your fine art museums in terms of volume, it might be better to say nothing. Volume aside, MFAH and Menil are both very good.

- Quoting Convention & Visitors Bureau projections of increases in conventions is a bit of a stretch. I might be projecting that I will become a millionaire next year, but it's not something I would want to be quoted on. :D

-

Houston

I wasn't putting the emphasis on architecture... I was putting the emphasis on Houston.

I realize this forum encompasses all things urban/political/Houston related and is more than just buildings. We discuss a little bit of everything and i enjoy that and was in no way objecting to that.

I'm just complaining about the cheerleading/preaching to the choir.

If there was one or two somethings on that list that stood out.. by all means.. start a post on it and lets discuss it. But to post the entire list... it's like making a promotional Houston commerical then only showing it on the air in the Houston market.

Red I agree with you on its purpose on the Pavillions site.. but we're not the investors here that need to be sold on Houston. I don't object to it being on the Pavillions site... I object to the entire list being posted on here as if its a big whoop and its stuff the majority of us don't know. We don't need to be told here Gee Houston is condsidered the energy capital of the world... I just don't see the point.

I admit I was in a bad mood and was reacting to the culmination of reading some other posts along the same lines of "Gee I didnt know we were so awesome" in some other threads. Houstonfella.. I apologize.

At first, I was perturbed by your post up there. And then, after reading this, part of me just slightly...slightly...agrees with you. But just slightly. I think it is great to trumpet our city, so that list of Houston attributes was fine by me, especially comming from an outside source such as those LA investors. But at the same time, we may not want to come across with that quality that Dallas people oooze: where they constantly proclaim themselves to be the almighty epidome of this, or that. Dallas really comes across as a city begging to be admired for it's allmighty greatness, practilcally saying "Looky here, Dallas is the sophistication center of the universe. Yes we are. Yes we are." I know we dont even come close to that and Houstonians will be the first to rant an yell at all the reality of crap and drainage that exists in our city that we need to improve and fix. We're realists. We're different in that way. Having said that, there really wasnt anything wrong with this particular list of H-town coolness, it really wasnt anybody overly anxious to show off. It was just a nice thing to read from an outside source, which I think we all enjoy when it happens. Heck, more often than not we get bad press. So by all means, lets post positive things like this when they come about. But I guess I kinda saw where you were coming from in your complaint there.

That's an interesting little list they compiled there.

Random thoughts:

- I would believe it about Houston being the fourth best restaurant city. If anything, I think we should rank higher when you consider the diversity, quality of service and prices.

- I had never heard that about being the most ethnically diverse. For some reason I was thinking it was LA. Does anyone know the source for that?

- If you have to boast about your fine art museums in terms of volume, it might be better to say nothing. Volume aside, MFAH and Menil are both very good.

- Quoting Convention & Visitors Bureau projections of increases in conventions is a bit of a stretch. I might be projecting that I will become a millionaire next year, but it's not something I would want to be quoted on. :D

-

Had to laugh at loud at that one. Midtown is a distinct neighborhood, it's deceptive to lump it in with downtown. Downtown's population would be even bigger if they included the Montrose, or the Galleria area! :lol:

- Another volume "statistic." <_< The Chronicle investigated this claim a couple of years back. It should be qualified by adding that it is true only if one measures seats in officially designated theater districts in "concentrated areas."

I guess the point is that we have a lot to be proud of, and there's nothing wrong with lists like this, but it doesn't help the message when they toss in bogus points.

Very true.

And I also rolled my eyes at the 18,000 number that includes Midtown's population stats with DT's. Very disingenuous. As it shows, with most rah-rah charts, the statistics are often inaccurate or exaggerated, and it's not just in Houston but pretty much everywhere. Kind of like the fluff you hear from dealers concerning a new car.

Some of this is pure jingoism.

Houston is ranked as the fourth best restaurant city in the United States by Wine Spectator and Esquire magazines anyone know who the other three are??

Magazine rankings are worthless because they change each year. For what year is this ranking? I know cities that still promote themselves as "Most Liveable" even though the rank was from some obscure magazine ten years ago. Also, magazines have been known to ...ahem... adjust their rankings to favor cities where readership is down in order to generate media buzz and get people to buy their magazines again.

Houston is the most ethnically diverse city in the United States - with 83 consulates, Houston has the third largest consular corps in the nation
Yes, Houston has a lot of consulates. But how many actual EMBASSIES? And is that even a way to measure ethnic diversity? No. It just shows that Houston has responsibility for a large region. There are 209 nationalities represented in the New York City public schools system. I think that's a much better measure of how ethnically diverse a city is.
Houston

Yes, Houston has a lot of consulates. But how many actual EMBASSIES? And is that even a way to measure ethnic diversity? No. It just shows that Houston has responsibility for a large region. There are 209 nationalities represented in the New York City public schools system. I think that's a much better measure of how ethnically diverse a city is.

Using the same Census Bureau dataset they used, the residential population of downtown Chicago is 251,220. My NEIGHBORHOOD alone is 32,113. Heck, when my APARTMENT COMPLEX is finished we're supposed to have 15,000 people. Put another way -- 18,600 people isn't even a television ratings point.

Houston is home to the world's largest medical center

I've heard the same claim from New York, Tokyo, and Moscow.

Houston has no embassies, OF COURSE. Embassies are only located in capital cities. How many embassies does Chicago have? I don't think anyone said or suggested that the number of consulates was the way to measure ethnic diversity. (In fact, since Houston is not the number THREE city for consulates, it is obvious that is NOT the way ethnic diversity has been measured. I don't remember where, but I have seen this study before that named Houston the most ethnicially diverse. And it wasn't just based on the number os nationalities represented in the public schools either.)

RE: population. How is it that you know what Census Bureua dataset they used? And how did you come up with 250,000 for Chicago? Talk about "tourist bureau manipulation" and "fact distortion"... Everything I find online puts downtown Chicago's population closer to 50,000. (and you're bragging about an apartment complex housing 15,000 people? Sheesh. Where are you, Calcutta? That sounds hideous)

RE: the medical center claim. Just because other cities may have made the same claim does not automatically mean Houston's claim is untrue. Is there really a medical center in NYC, Tokyo, or Moscow that even comes close in size to the Texas Medical Center? I doubt it, but don't know for sure. I know I've never seen any evidence that Houston's claim is untrue. As we have seen in some past threads, you seem to be quite eager to assume that Houston's claims are not true.

For such a fan of Houston, we sure seem to be able to count on you to put a negative spin on any news out of Houston, in any way you can, whether logical or not.

Folks, this list was from the Houston Pavilions website. It's just a list of things about Houston they have up there to help market the development to potential retail tenants. That's the purpose for listing downtown (including Midtown) population. All of these people have easy pedestrian, auto, and train access to Houston Pavilions. (if I were them I would have included all of the other near-downtown neighborhods, as well.) And they were no deceitful or disingenuous about it; they clearly said 'including midtown'.

Archived