Gearheads hangout

Mark F. Barnes

Hee hee, Is that the Frankenstein shell for that 35 ? I am sure you have heard of the Blastolene Bros. Are they your inspiration for this radical ride ? My next project is a '32 ford Rat Rod. I have a guy I work with whose father has a sweet junkyard of nothing but muscle cars and such up in Waxahachie,Tx. The son and I are gonna take a roadtrip up there. He has a '69 Plymouth, he wants to sell me, and i have been thinkin' about some Mopar, but Ford and Olds is usually where I go for Torque fun. I've built up 3 Fox body 'Stangs back in the 90's, and they are just so much fun.

Hee hee, Is that the Frankenstein shell for that 35 ? I am sure you have heard of the Blastolene Bros. Are they your inspiration for this radical ride ? My next project is a '32 ford Rat Rod. I have a guy I work with whose father has a sweet junkyard of nothing but muscle cars and such up in Waxahachie,Tx. The son and I are gonna take a roadtrip up there. He has a '69 Plymouth, he wants to sell me, and i have been thinkin' about some Mopar, but Ford and Olds is usually where I go for Torque fun. I've built up 3 Fox body 'Stangs back in the 90's, and they are just so much fun.

I actually met Randy Grubb at a show, he came over to look at my rod at the event. I have become a fan. I picked this pile of parts up for a song and dance. But it will be cool eventually. I don't to plastic and glass, I am an old school french hand. I still do some lead work. I am going to french in those light sockets somehow, and change up the back-end some. I may cut it off and put the 35 coupe with the long hood and cut the to to make is a convertible or a removable Carson lid. I was just into the long hood with the bull frog eyes, had to have it.

I don't believe in Bondo or glass either. I defy anyone to find any on my Olds. I even leaded in the canyons where the roof seams meet. Funny thing about how GM cut costs. If you had a vinyl top on your A-body ride, you got a nice heap of sculpted bondo-crete underneath on the corners. After the vinyl was taken off of mine we gouged out all the bondo-crete and media-blasted the whole thing, then leaded in where neccessary and I also had my guys lead in the rain seams behind the back glass in order to prevent any water from settling in that crack and rust to start.

this is the before shot, that is a beautiful DuPont yellow primer, before I media blasted it, and did the thing right.

14744june_04_016.jpg

14744june_2004_009.jpg

As far as your '35 goes, definately leave the long hood, but take off the bullfrog eyes. Go for the classic hot rod and not a funky Barris creation. I think with a choptop and removable hardtop that bad boy would be "tits" ! Stay with the RED color, you really have something there. I am having to put on a new alternator today, YIPPEE ! Weird thing happened, the battery on my wife's car went out, and I had to change her's out before I went to work this morning, now my alternator is out, and I just got the part in a few minutes ago to put on, so now that is what I am fixin' to go do.

I don't believe in Bondo or glass either. I defy anyone to find any on my Olds. I even leaded in the canyons where the roof seams meet. Funny thing about how GM cut costs. If you had a vinyl top on your A-body ride, you got a nice heap of sculpted bondo-crete underneath on the corners. After the vinyl was taken off of mine we gouged out all the bondo-crete and media-blasted the whole thing, then leaded in where neccessary and I also had my guys lead in the rain seams behind the back glass in order to prevent any water from settling in that crack and rust to start.

As far as your '35 goes, definately leave the long hood, but take off the bullfrog eyes. Go for the classic hot rod and not a funky Barris creation. I think with a choptop and removable hardtop that bad boy would be "tits" ! Stay with the RED color, you really have something there. I am having to put on a new alternator today, YIPPEE ! Weird thing happened, the battery on my wife's car went out, and I had to change her's out before I went to work this morning, now my alternator is out, and I just got the part in a few minutes ago to put on, so now that is what I am fixin' to go do.

Good French-work is hard to find. It is a lost art, with all the existing blow molding, and the Carbon Fiber craze. But you know what? A hundred years from now hopefully one of my great grand kids will be enjoying my hot rods when all the plastics are rotted and gone.

Check out some of my stuff

roughout0.jpg

roughoutstart.jpg

rearroughtout.jpg

9960165387412.jpg

9940165387412.jpg

9990165387533.jpg

9980165387533.jpg

rearinplace.jpg

Primed and in place

Hey Mark, good news, my Interstate battery is under warranty, I will trade it in, and get a new one tomorrow. it is a pro-rated warranty, but hell, every little bit helps. I also meant to ask you about that airride system, are thoses bags out of a Lincoln ?

She will give you a CAVITY when I am done stuffin' that Olds 455 in her.

Make sure she has a hefty growl!

No true American muscle car is complete without a hefty growl!!!

By the way, my oldest kid has seen your girl and he thinks shes beautiful. How long did it take you to get her to her present state?

Make sure she has a hefty growl!

No true American muscle car is complete without a hefty growl!!!

By the way, my oldest kid has seen your girl and he thinks shes beautiful. How long did it take you to get her to her present state?

Took about 2 years, and alot of tears. :lol: She has factory headers, hard to find factory, Thrush Turbos mufflers on now with an "H"-pipe, that's old school stuff. When she gets her new powerplant she will be sporting some Magnaflows.

Hey Mark, good news, my Interstate battery is under warranty, I will trade it in, and get a new one tomorrow. it is a pro-rated warranty, but hell, every little bit helps. I also meant to ask you about that airride system, are thoses bags out of a Lincoln ?

Man I started buying the OPTIMA YellowTop batteries and all problems left, they deep cycle well and are smaller and easy to manage. Glad Interstate helped out.

Been burning metal most of the morning, to wet out to do much else.

Good French-work is hard to find. It is a lost art, with all the existing blow molding,

This sounds dirty...but in a good way.

this is the before shot, that is a beautiful DuPont yellow primer, before I media blasted it, and did the thing right.

14744june_04_016.jpg

14744june_2004_009.jpg

Holy crap -- you did some nice work. The end result would put a lot of show cars to shame.

This sounds dirty...but in a good way.

Holy crap -- you did some nice work. The end result would put a lot of show cars to shame.

Thanks Dal,

All I did was some of the engine work and re-install all the chrome and trim pieces. I leave the paint and upholstery to the professionals. Lucky for me I have lots of friends in the industry, and can get what I need and want, done without too much hassle or expense. That doesn't mean the good work comes cheap, just cheaper than the average joe. About 160 hours of metal work on the car alone too make sure that special silver paint laid out right. There is NO transition in the stripes also, those suckers are set deep, and has a few coats of clear to make it look "WET" all the time. >:):lol:

Thanks Dal,

All I did was some of the engine work and re-install all the chrome and trim pieces. I leave the paint and upholstery to the professionals. Lucky for me I have lots of friends in the industry, and can get what I need and want, done without too much hassle or expense. That doesn't mean the good work comes cheap, just cheaper than the average joe. About 160 hours of metal work on the car alone too make sure that special silver paint laid out right. There is NO transition in the stripes also, those suckers are set deep, and has a few coats of clear to make it look "WET" all the time. >:):lol:

Give yourself a huge pat on the back! you have done a wonderful job.

Give yourself a huge pat on the back! you have done a wonderful job.

Thanks, now just an electrical problem to work. I don't know if the new alternator is overcharging, or because the old battery was sooooo dead it was damaged from jumping it off ? So, now i am gonna go splurge on an Optima yellow top, my Stereo system DEMANDS it ! Then, we should be aces.

Thanks, now just an electrical problem to work. I don't know if the new alternator is overcharging, or because the old battery was sooooo dead it was damaged from jumping it off ? So, now i am gonna go splurge on an Optima yellow top, my Stereo system DEMANDS it ! Then, we should be aces.

TJ have you seen the movie "Worlds Fastest Indian"? If you haven't you need to it's great. The DVD is at Wal-Mart and it is a great movie, nice documentry on the real Burt Munro as a trailer after the movie.

Can't go wrong with the OPTIMA.

TJ have you seen the movie "Worlds Fastest Indian"? If you haven't you need to it's great. The DVD is at Wal-Mart and it is a great movie, nice documentry on the real Burt Munro as a trailer after the movie.

Can't go wrong with the OPTIMA.

That Optima better not go wrong, for the price. :lol:

Thanks Dal,

Well, you know, half of it is just having the eye and the inclination to get it done the right way. Even if your skill set lies in other parts of the job, you still have to be able to articulate how you want it done. That said, engine work is no minor component of a restoration like yours. Very impressive.

If you drained it really, really empty, then that's probably what killed it. Normal car batteries will only tolerate being drawn way down once or twice before they die...even if they are new. An older battery can be killed with just one good discharge.

on that red abortion I would pull out the center section and move the front end back to the cowl...the front would end up looking like the lunar lander on the H.A.M.B.....kinda cool start, but I would be careful....post pics on the HAMB....see what feedback you get...but your metal work looks really good....but it looks like aluminum?

If you drained it really, really empty, then that's probably what killed it. Normal car batteries will only tolerate being drawn way down once or twice before they die...even if they are new. An older battery can be killed with just one good discharge.

Turns out the friggin' regulator was killin the whole system, and when I put on the new alternator, it was pumpin' out about 19 volts, and sizzled the battery. I put on the new regulator and we are ready to rumble. The ol' girl loves this weather btw, she doesn't want to hold back, she was very peppy this morning. :lol: I smoked some guy's '32 three window this morning on the way to work.

on that red abortion I would pull out the center section and move the front end back to the cowl...the front would end up looking like the lunar lander on the H.A.M.B.....kinda cool start, but I would be careful....post pics on the HAMB....see what feedback you get...but your metal work looks really good....but it looks like aluminum?

Still up in the air with what to do with the Lagondastien. I found out the front end may possibly be a Pre-war Lagonda variation, and someone spliced it to a 1935 Chevy Cabriolet. That piece you were looking at was .024 Cold Rolled Sheet Metal, but once I finish blending it looks a little like Aluminum I guess, until you put your hands on it.

I Just got back from Henderson County, I picked up another project. A '41 Lincoln Zephyr all there, it was in the weeds in an old mans pasture, It should be delivered today by Rollback. I have been after one of these for years. Flat head V-12 . I have a Zephyr Motor already I rebuilt 5 years ago, however this has the motor in it. This is a LC (Luxury Coupe) and my motor came from the SC (Sport Coupe). The SC is tripower and more cam, that's about the extent of the differences.

1lc7.jpg

1lc6.jpg

1lc5.jpg

1lc4.jpg

1lc3.jpg

We aired up the tires and drug it out with a tractor so the rollback can get at it, nice piece of iron. $5000! What a steal.

brechler1.jpg

I had built this for another Rod but ended up going a different direction. I was building a 32 Low boy and this was the power plant for it. Upgraded Altenator and distributor and I guy came along and wanted my low boy more than I did, so I sold it to him less the motor. These motors are hard to come by, so I wouldn't part with it. But I got a home for it now.

Looks like someone had started a restoration on it, and then just put it under that tarp. Even has the continental kit on the back. Nice grab.

Speaking of nice grabs. I just got one of these for the wife, 03 model Eddie Bauer with 70k w/ Navigation and DVD , Quad Capt. for $9000. Sweet deal.

03expeditionwhite.jpg

well the reason I said aluminum was cause it was so nicely finished...that motor is awesome...any 49-51 fords in that graveyard? Looking for back half of roof section, and maybe another flathead (merc. of course prefered)

well the reason I said aluminum was cause it was so nicely finished...that motor is awesome...any 49-51 fords in that graveyard? Looking for back half of roof section, and maybe another flathead (merc. of course prefered)

Well I must be living good, my Hot Rod Lincoln showed up on the roll back and had a pallet strapped down behind it. The Wrecker Driver told me the old man found another motor and tranny in a shed and threw it in on the deal. I called him to thank hime and he said it was just in his way anyway. Well let me take out the trash for you anyday. These Zephyr motors are hard to come buy, I about sheet my pants when I saw that.

imag001.jpg

imag002.jpg

I asked him about the Ford Greaser, he said "nope" But I will keep am eye out for you, will a Merc backhalf work or is the rear window different?

Archived