Buffalo Bend Nature Park

Guest danax

is this part of the buffalo bayou master plan being done in segments?

Yes, it is part of the Master Plan. It was transferred over to Harris County today and they will own and manage it from now on but the Buffalo Bayou Partnership. who have the Master Plan, contributed financing to buy the land. There are a lot of groups involved in the 20 year plan. I don't know when construction on this park will begin.

• 2 years later...

Very happy to see this. Also...

http://www.buffalobayou.org/eastside.html

The Buffalo Bayou masterplan, Buffalo Bayou and Beyond, calls for trails along the bayou from Shepherd to Lockwood Drive and the Partnership is actively promoting and funding trails in East Houston.

The land along the bayou east of downtown is almost all in private hands today. These private landowners are banding together to give small parcels of the land to the city for hike and bike trails.

As of spring of 2004, almost 4 miles of trails have been built along the bayou on private lands just east of downtown. Dozens of volunteers have helped plant more than 100 native trees along the new trails. The trails will officially open to the public in the spring.

Have these trails worked their way close to Lockwood yet?

I just went jogging on the trail that starts on the sourth side of the Bayou at Jensen, and it is almost complete to North Yourk/Hirsh/Waco and the park there (Tony Marron). Also, Going the other direction from Jensen, there is a trail that is also a trail almost finished to McKee. BBP told me these would be complete by the fall and there would be a "grand opening."

Heading east from Tony Marron is the beginning of a trail, but it doen not extend far and I have not explored from York to Lockwood yet...

Archived