Development Plans At Raveneaux

mrfootball

As some of you may already know, a developer has purchased Raveneaux Country Club with plans to redevelop the property, below are some of the details presented to the Cypress Forest Public Utility District which serves the Champion Forest area, and who's permission is needed to provide infrastructure to make such a project work:

http://www.cyforestpud.com/meetings/minutes/2006/Aug0906.pdf

Mr. Kindred stated that the Country Club will continue to be a private club and that the course will be a 27-hole facility. He reviewed Phase One and Final Phase land plans, copies of which are attached, including relocation of the pool and tennis courts, construction of a new practice range, extension of Champions Drive, construction of two buildings containing a total of 72 brownstone units, and construction of a clubhouse on the current clubhouse location with 28 to 30 hotel rooms, a spa/wellness center, and 60 condominium units. He reviewed an example rendering of the brownstone units, a copy of which is attached.

Mr. Kindred stated that approximately seven acres of the current Raveneaux County Club tract are located within the District and that approximately 42.5 acres are proposed for annexation in the development project. He stated that the estimates for proposed Phase One development are $4,600,000 for construction of the utilities infrastructure, $4,000,000 of which is reimbursable to the land owners, and $114,000,000 in new assessed value. He stated that estimates for the proposed second phase development are $2,000,000 for construction of the utilities infrastructure, all of which is reimbursable to the land owners, and $175,000,000 in new assessed value. He requested that the Board consider holding a bond election on the November 2006 general election date.

Mr. Kindred stated that the plans are for the mid-rise condominiums to be constructed at five stories, the brownstones to be constructed at three to four stories, and the clubhouse to be constructed at eight stores. He stated that no detention or channel facilities are included in the proposed development for maintenance by the District.

Chronicle: Developer reveals plans for Raveneaux Country Club

Appears that they've already gone ahead and secured utilities through Kleinwood having usurped the Cypress Forest's PUD's power over the proposed development. I'm curious as to what Kleinwood (ahem...Benedict Arnold) PUD is getting in return?

I think it could be really neat, or it could piss a lot of CF residents off. Probably both.

They (Kindred & JP) need to be in the mindset that they are going to add value to the property or else they're going to stir up a hornet's nest. They best work with the HOA and Cypress Forest PUD to work out the best possible solution. Of course Don Hand is against it, because he wants to build his luxury hi-rise condo right down the street and this will surely compete.

Again, if they can all work together, I bet they can come up with a plan that's agreeable to everyone. It's a beautiful property.

Chronicle: Developer reveals plans for Raveneaux Country Club

Appears that they've already gone ahead and secured utilities through Kleinwood having usurped the Cypress Forest's PUD's power over the proposed development. I'm curious as to what Kleinwood (ahem...Benedict Arnold) PUD is getting in return?

I think it could be really neat, or it could piss a lot of CF residents off. Probably both.

They (Kindred & JP) need to be in the mindset that they are going to add value to the property or else they're going to stir up a hornet's nest. They best work with the HOA and Cypress Forest PUD to work out the best possible solution. Of course Don Hand is against it, because he wants to build his luxury hi-rise condo right down the street and this will surely compete.

Again, if they can all work together, I bet they can come up with a plan that's agreeable to everyone. It's a beautiful property.

Don't you mean Champion Forest?

• 3 weeks later...

Judge Eckels throws down the NIMBY card when it comes to Raveneaux development plans!

Amazing how quickly things can change if it personally affects him!

Shot fired across the bow from Eckels:

"The flood-control district could ask the county engineering department not to issue the developers a building permit if it concluded the project would increase flooding and stormwater runoff."

And returned from Kindred, who brings up Big Daddy Eckels, whom most have forgotten:

"Kindred said he was surprised that Eckels didn't call him and ask him to explain the project. He said he thought he had a good relationship with Eckels and that he also knew his late father, former Precinct 3 Commissioner Bob Eckels."

I think the Raveneaux development people created some bad blood when they proudly presented their "end around" via the Kleinwood PUD last month. That wasn't a smart move IMO, and will not garner them any sort of goodwill with a group that simply wished to preserve the neighborhood they love.

The Ravenneaux developers gave the Cypress Forest PUD ample opportunities. I was appalled and embarrassed at how the developers were treated at those inital meetings with the PUD and Ravenneaux members. The developers purchased the land, it is theirs, and they are ready to start making some money on it. They presented a plan that I agree had holes (how they are going sell $400K-$700K + townhomes in that area is beyond me) but it was a whole lot better than other alternatives - like a strip mall. It's actually very attractive. The CF PUD blew it by trying to table the discussion until spring and asking for too much information. I don't blame them for going to Kleinwood at all.

I'm not sure why everyone is so against this project. When you bought into that neighborhood you knew there was private property across the street. That is an unzoned, unincorporated part of Houston. Anything could happen. This is the best alternative. Private golf clubs don't work anymore. They are closing all over the country. It beats looking over at an old, crumbling building with wood over the windows.

minutes from a special meeting between Raveneaux developers and the adjoining utility district

Notice in the minutes, Mr. Kindred says that the only Mark Jordan is involved at this meeting is because of the bankruptcy proceedings. If this plan is not accepted, what ARE the options, considering the bankruptcy? And why is Don Hand of Greenwood Properties presenting an alternate plan for property he doesn't own?

And why is Don Hand of Greenwood Properties presenting an alternate plan for property he doesn't own?

Don Hand is the original developer of Champions Forest.

One has to wonder what would be better for CF residents...a PUBLIC park (ie. Eckels plan which would I suppose turn Raveneaux into a Muni) or redevelopment of Raveneaux? I too think it would be cool to turn it into a resort/conference center, however the idea of 500 units of Brownstones/Condos doesn't sound appealing, though it could be workable. I'm not a big fan of 'density' in suburban neigbhorhoods. Perhaps they can come to a happy medium. I hope they do. I love that area, we lived there for 10 years.

I think Don Hand would like to buy Raveneaux CC.

He's got a development under construction, I just drove by it about an hour ago. It's a senior/assisted living center (about 4 stories)...looks nice from the renderings on the sign outside on Louetta. Next door is the land for Chateaux Raveneaux which recently had the utility infrastructure layed down.

He's got a number of projects underway from what I understand:

The conservatory

The Class A Office stuff on 249 (the one he clearcut)

The HP Property (UH fell through, but the Chronicle said he's got 2 other offers...I still think UH is going to get the old Compaq property on 290, which is better suited for a campus)

The Chateaux Raveneaux luxury condos

I thought that the Office Park Construction on 249 by lowes (were they clear cut) was a Pennington Deal not Don Hand.

The way I understand it, Hand develops it, Pennington sells it.

BTW, brilliant work over on Louetta where their new Medical building is going in. Brilliant job clearing the trees. They could've left a nice tree barrier to hide the big H20 tanks back there, but instead just cleared the lot, save for the frontage tree barrier.

I just don't get it. Are these people idiots? Have they no sense of aesthetics? Golden opportunity to use the natural treescape to keep those things hidden, but instead they clearcut and expose these things to view from the street.

• 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Development Plans At Raveneaux

Archived