Weingarten's Grocery Stores

doug

I'm interested in photos of Oak Forest from the 1950's-1970's (when I grew up there) of the streets, houses, and shopping centers. I recall as a kid getting high enough up in a tree in my yard or on the roof of my house & being able to see the illuminated Weingarten's grocery stylized  'W" at the top of their tower sign on 43rd  at night about 3/8 mile away. That was iconic to me (anyone have that photo?). Links to sites rich in these photos would be a good start.

Thanks

Edited by Greg Rhodes
spelling

• 1 year later...
On 2/28/2017 at 3:55 PM, mkultra25 said:

One of the Kroger signs has (temporarily, I assume) been taken down at the Kroger at Yale and 20th, revealing its history as a former Weingarten's location. Someone grabbed a pic and tweeted it earlier today:

32331221314_6cfdd3c207_b.jpg

https://twitter.com/ChrisBarnesInfo/status/836573060664799232/photo/1

Was wondering where that Weingarten went to.  My ex always said her house used to sit on the spot where the store was to be built and was moved a little south to its present location in the Heights.

On 5/27/2013 at 4:32 PM, MikeRichardson said:

Randalls on Voss and 1960 were both built as Handy Andys.  I worked at a couple of Handy Andys and the interiors were identical.  When I worked at the 1960 Flagship, I kept looking around thinking something looks familiar.  

• 2 years later...
On 2/26/2012 at 6:43 PM, Snigley said:

While I realize this is an old thread, hopefully someone can help me. Prior to my parents meeting, my father worked at Weingarten's #7. He's in the enclosed photo that promoted some type of sale. The photo was taken in 1945, but I believe the store was older than that. My question is does anyone know where Weingarten's No. 7 was located. I'd be very happy to find out where he actually worked.

post-10634-0-30225300-1330303096_thumb.j

That building looks like the one on Harrisburg in Eastwood next to the Park. If this is the same building it is still there and I want to say it was built in the 1920's.

2 minutes ago, sinister1 said:

That building looks like the one on Harrisburg in Eastwood next to the Park. If this is the same building it is still there and I want to say it was built in the 1920's.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7423592,-95.3240863,3a,41.5y,193.15h,97.81t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_sPnptMmse7QbShJGOhQFw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

No 12 (3114 Smith St) has once again become the site for a grocery store, albeit a different company and building. 
This is the location of the Midtown Whole Foods. 
After Weingarten's closed, their building was adapted to different uses. In the 1980's it was the Fish and Bird Clinic pet store, and after that an office for the Social Security Administration. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbigtex56 said:

No 12 (3114 Smith St) has once again become the site for a grocery store, albeit a different company and building. 
This is the location of the Midtown Whole Foods. 
After Weingarten's closed, their building was adapted to different uses. In the 1980's it was the Fish and Bird Clinic pet store, and after that an office for the Social Security Administration. 

Thanks for confirming that my memory hasn't gone completely wonky. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ross said:

Thanks for confirming that my memory hasn't gone completely wonky. 

You're welcome. 
TBH, I was second-guessing myself before committing to that post. Thank goodness for Google Street's Time Machine function. 

• Haha 1

• The title was changed to Weingarten's Grocery Stores