Weingarten's Grocery Stores

doug

Where was the Pasadena Weingarten located?

It mortifies me to admit I can't visualize a Weingarten's in Pasadena, but I'm sure there was one. For some reason, my memories keep coming back to a location in a shopping center on South Shaver at Southmore, directly across Shaver from the Sears store. I could be wrong though. I frequently am. Anybody with a better memory than mine? The floor is still open.

It mortifies me to admit I can't visualize a Weingarten's in Pasadena, but I'm sure there was one. For some reason, my memories keep coming back to a location in a shopping center on South Shaver at Southmore, directly across Shaver from the Sears store. I could be wrong though. I frequently am. Anybody with a better memory than mine? The floor is still open.

Better yet why did the 3 story building across from sears get razed? The one where wal-greens was. There was an old pharmacy and they had fountain drinks and ice cream. My dentist was on the second floor.

My girlfriend was born in Pasadena in 1948 and lived there until around 1970, she should remember the location. Out of town at the moment, but she'll be back by mid-week. Will ask and see what we come up with on Weingarten's location.

The linked pictures were great, just wish with the rest of you, actual addresses were included. Say, wouldn't an old phone book be useful? I've noticed in past, some around here are in possession of same.

Better yet why did the 3 story building across from sears get razed? The one where wal-greens was. There was an old pharmacy and they had fountain drinks and ice cream. My dentist was on the second floor.

You are thinking of the old Ables Pharmacy! I use to spend many a happy day going down there for the drinks and ice cream floats and to get my parents meds. The owner of the shopping strip sold the whole building and the Walgreens bought it. The rest of the story you can only guess. Many of the local residents tried to stop walgreens from destroying the building but noone wanted to listen. Money won out in the end.

The linked pictures were great, just wish with the rest of you, actual addresses were included. Say, wouldn't an old phone book be useful? I've noticed in past, some around here are in possession of same.

in 1955:

general offices:

600 lockwood dr

personnel offices:

808 prairie av

stores:

808 prairie av

1601 taft av

5100 harrisburg blvd

2001 yale

1420 richmond av

1802 polk av

3600 n main

3114 smith

1118 broadway

1100 quitman

2512 university blvd

4800 washington av

1102 telephone rd

6002 lyons

4100 almeda

4000 bissonnet

10901 market

8826 jensen dr

4431 griggs rd

south shaver and southmore, pasadena

bakery and food plant:

534 lockwood dr

poultry and sea food dept:

4711 navigation blvd

home centers:

4800 washington av

1102 telephone rd

Edited by sevfiv

The weingartens looks like it's right across from where walmart is! AH HA it IS IT! It's a shopping center owned by campbell properties!

e_bb_0467_pub.jpg

compare it to

google earth view

The building on the north of the shopping center is a Family Dollar/Dollar General(same junk) The building where the arch looking thing is now a defunct Weiners(Now a falla paredes). On the bottom is where CiCi's pizza is at now. The street running on the left is W Southmore. My dentist was across from the southern tip in a three story building. On the east side is Shaver and I assume the Sears was there...

The weingartens looks like it's right across from where walmart is! AH HA it IS IT! It's a shopping center owned by campbell properties!

e_bb_0467_pub.jpg

compare it to

google earth view

The building on the north of the shopping center is a Family Dollar/Dollar General(same junk) The building where the arch looking thing is now a defunct Weiners(Now a falla paredes). On the bottom is where CiCi's pizza is at now. The street running on the left is W Southmore. My dentist was across from the southern tip in a three story building. On the east side is Shaver and I assume the Sears was there...

There is an error somewhere look at the year built and year pic was taken...

http://hcad.org/records/details.asp?tab=1&...t=0281770000026

e_bb_0470_pub.jpg

This building is simply to die for. I presume, in the grand Houston tradition, that it has been torn down. Where was it?

hey...i think its still here! :o

it may be the Telephone road weingartens (near broadmoor addition)

HiSD renovated it a few years back. not sure what they use it for, though.

in 1955:

general offices:

600 lockwood dr

personnel offices:

808 prairie av

stores:

808 prairie av

1601 taft av

5100 harrisburg blvd

2001 yale

1420 richmond av

1802 polk av

3600 n main

3114 smith

1118 broadway

1100 quitman

2512 university blvd

4800 washington av

1102 telephone rd

6002 lyons

4100 almeda

4000 bissonnet

10901 market

8826 jensen dr

4431 griggs rd

south shaver and southmore, pasadena

bakery and food plant:

534 lockwood dr

poultry and sea food dept:

4711 navigation blvd

home centers:

4800 washington av

1102 telephone rd

I think, but I'm not 100 percent certain, that it may be the store in the 3100 block of Smith Street in mid-town. I lived in Montrose for a time in the sixties, and I did my grocery shopping there, and that picture looks just like it. It's also true that many of the Weingartens' stores looked like that.

I think, but I'm not 100 percent certain, that it may be the store in the 3100 block of Smith Street in mid-town. I lived in Montrose for a time in the sixties, and I did my grocery shopping there, and that picture looks just like it. It's also true that many of the Weingartens' stores looked like that.

it looks like it may be neither of them.

the picture caption in the collection database says it was store number 14.

the reference i have says store 14 was 1100 quitman.

the telephone store was no.22 and the smith store was no. 12

Edited by gnu

it looks like it may be neither of them.

the picture caption in the collection database says it was store number 14.

the reference i have says store 14 was 1100 quitman.

the telephone store was no.22 and the smith store was no. 12

well, 1100 quitman is still owned by weingarten (realty) according to hcad, with it listing the year built as 1931...

i can't for the life of me picture it now, but this is the aerial of the address:

3yhcf4j.jpg

well, 1100 quitman is still owned by weingarten (realty) according to hcad, with it listing the year built as 1931...i can't for the life of me picture it now, but this is the aerial of the address:

3yhcf4j.jpg

I know that corner. The green arrow is pointed at the northwest corner of the campus of John Marshall Junior High. Across Quitman to the north is Jeff Davis High. The supermarket is the building across from Marshall JrHi with the reddish strip at the front and all the cars parked in front of it.

I can remember when it was a Weingarten's, but several other chains have also occupied it over the years. I have no idea what it is now.

Edited by FilioScotia

I used to work for C.I.S. at Davis H.S. in the 90s. That store with the red roof is a Fiesta. The Fiesta looks nothing like the photo, so my guess is the old Weingarten store was ripped down and a new store with plenty of surface parking was built in its place...

I used to work for C.I.S. at Davis H.S. in the 90s. That store with the red roof is a Fiesta. The Fiesta looks nothing like the photo, so my guess is the old Weingarten store was ripped down and a new store with plenty of surface parking was built in its place...

You're probably right. New owners frequently tear down and rebuild. It's cheaper to build a new one than to bring the old building up to code. The old Weingartens' bldg was also too small for Fiesta. RIP Weingartens.

Edited by FilioScotia

so then the hcad record for 1100 quitman (listed as a grocery store) built in 1931 is completely wrong? (not that they are right about things very often...!)

Why would it be wrong? There's been a grocery store of one name or another at that address for more than 70 years. First it was a Weingartens'. Since they closed, it's been a couple of things and now it's a Fiesta.

so then the hcad record for 1100 quitman (listed as a grocery store) built in 1931 is completely wrong? (not that they are right about things very often...!)

it could be wrong. it wouldnt be the first time hcad messed up a build date.

maybe weingarten's renumbered the stores at some point...or there might be a discrepancy in the numbers in the listing. afterall, it is called "big store no.14"..maybe there was a little store 14 too? :lol:

sevfiv, does your store list give the store numbers too?

it sure does seem to resemble the old weingarten's building on telephone road...but i havent driven by it in a while. and a lot of stores could be similar - as filio stated

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...&iwloc=addr

yeah, who knows -

the reason i was mentioning that hcad was wrong was if the building was in fact demolished and then rebuilt (as a fiesta or whatever...). if that happened, then the date shouldn't be 1931, but the date the new building was built (the way hcad has things listed).

and unfortunately, my directory doesn't list store numbers :(

My Pasadena Friend sent me this to post:

Yes, that is the Weingarten's in Pasadena. It sat on the northwest corner of Southmore and Shaver, across from Sears to the east, and Walgreen's to the south. The drugstore was Able's much longer than Walgreen's. It was a home-grown drugstore with a soda fountain (but no jukebox). Sears moved east to the new Pasadena Town Square Mall and Wal-Mart tore down the building and created one of the all night SuperCenters. The move did not help Sears very much, and Wal-Mart moving in hurt everything around. After Weingarten's moved out, Wyatt's Cafeteria was there, on the side facing Southmore (south) for a long time, but has been supplanted by the awful dollar genre. Palais Royale was there, facing Shaver (east) for quite a while, but the last of women's specialty shops in Pasadena died with Ms. Kraker.

My Pasadena Friend sent me this to post:

Yes, that is the Weingarten's in Pasadena. It sat on the northwest corner of Southmore and Shaver, across from Sears to the east, and Walgreen's to the south. The drugstore was Able's much longer than Walgreen's. It was a home-grown drugstore with a soda fountain (but no jukebox). Sears moved east to the new Pasadena Town Square Mall and Wal-Mart tore down the building and created one of the all night SuperCenters. The move did not help Sears very much, and Wal-Mart moving in hurt everything around. After Weingarten's moved out, Wyatt's Cafeteria was there, on the side facing Southmore (south) for a long time, but has been supplanted by the awful dollar genre. Palais Royale was there, facing Shaver (east) for quite a while, but the last of women's specialty shops in Pasadena died with Ms. Kraker.

I remember ables was a three story building. IT WAS CREEPY! I was 11 years old.(just about 10 years ago) They had an old OTIS elevator. It smelled like 1950 in there. Same smell when i go to Larry's Art on Richey. They sold old figurines at Ables, And the men that worked there were very nice. I have no idea what was in the 3 story building. I went to the 3rd floor for my braces and no door had names. My guess is most of it was probably abandoned. The Dentist moved next to rerun books which he is still there now. Nice old guy.

I remember ables was a three story building. IT WAS CREEPY! I was 11 years old.(just about 10 years ago) They had an old OTIS elevator. It smelled like 1950 in there. Same smell when i go to Larry's Art on Richey. They sold old figurines at Ables, And the men that worked there were very nice. I have no idea what was in the 3 story building. I went to the 3rd floor for my braces and no door had names. My guess is most of it was probably abandoned. The Dentist moved next to rerun books which he is still there now. Nice old guy.

My mom worked at the Weingarten's deli in Deer Park for a short time when I was a kid. I don't really remember what the store looked like (I was four), but eventually it became a Gerland's, and now it's a Food Town. There was one in La Porte, too. It became a Safeway, then a short-lived Apple Tree. Now it's one of the last (or might be THE last) "Food Fair" stores that still has the Gerland's name on it.

Speaking of Able Drugs, there was one in Deer Park/La Porte infront of San Jacinto College, and another one in Pasadena on Spencer Hwy (between Burke & Strawberry). That one (the one in Pasadena), I remember also had a soda fountain well into either the late 1980's or early 1990's (I don't remember which). The one is Deer Park is a nail shop, while the one in Pasadena is now a Ci-Ci's Pizza.

Oh, and I know what you mean about Larry's Arts. That place gives me the creeps. They too used to have soda fountain. They made good milk shakes... not as good as Able.

Edited by lunchbox