Houston Videos

tw2ntyse7en

• 2 months later...

I'm a native Houstonian and new to this board. I located a video of Playland Speedway a few years ago. Shows the old jalopies racing around the asphalt track. You can see the bleachers on the straightaway and the Playland Park roller coaster behind it. It's even in color. Dates around 1955 and 1957. Also shows video of A.J. Foyt racing on another track somewhere north of Houston. Really cool.

I use to go to Playland Speedway when I was a kid in the 50's. My favorite drivers were A.J. Foyt and another driver named Billy Wade. (Both drivers were succesful in later years of course but I was told Billy was killed at Daytona during a tire test run in the 60's or 70's.) When I couldn't make it to the track on Saturday nights I'd stay up late and watch the main event on KTRK-Channel 13 after the local news. Another Houston great was watching Houston wrestling. The good kind of wrestling. Paul Bosch, Danny McShane, Gorgeous George to name a few.

Oh, and don't forget the Houston FAT STOCK Show and Rodeo. Roy Roger, Dale Evans, Pat Brady with Nellebelle. Oh boy, I'm a kid again.

Ray

I'm a native Houstonian and new to this board. I located a video of Playland Speedway a few years ago. Shows the old jalopies racing around the asphalt track. You can see the bleachers on the straightaway and the Playland Park roller coaster behind it. It's even in color. Dates around 1955 and 1957. Also shows video of A.J. Foyt racing on another track somewhere north of Houston. Really cool.

I use to go to Playland Speedway when I was a kid in the 50's. My favorite drivers were A.J. Foyt and another driver named Billy Wade. (Both drivers were succesful in later years of course but I was told Billy was killed at Daytona during a tire test run in the 60's or 70's.) When I couldn't make it to the track on Saturday nights I'd stay up late and watch the main event on KTRK-Channel 13 after the local news. Another Houston great was watching Houston wrestling. The good kind of wrestling. Paul Bosch, Danny McShane, Gorgeous George to name a few.

Oh, and don't forget the Houston FAT STOCK Show and Rodeo. Roy Roger, Dale Evans, Pat Brady with Nellebelle. Oh boy, I'm a kid again.

Ray

Ray, I just finished doing some work with Paul Boesch's son Joey. He's blind and has cerebal palsey but is a fantastic concert pianist. Anyway I have come to know Paul's wife Valerie and she let me see hundreds of photos, films, trophies etc. She even gave me Paul's record collection believe it or not. There was alot of Johnny Cash. It was amazing to see all of that history up close and personal.

Sorry to get off of the subject.

Ray

Ray, I just finished working with Joey Boesch (Paul's son). He's blind with Cerebal Palsey but is a really fantastic concert pianist, Paul did a fine job raising him. Anyway over the last few months I have gotten to know Valerie (Paul's wife) and she let me look through countless pictures, films and any and every award/trophy you could imagine. It was amazing to see that history up close and personal. She even gave me Paul's record collection believe it or not. There was alot of Jonny Cash ha ha.

Sorry for getting off the subject.

Ray, I just finished doing some work with Paul Boesch's son Joey. He's blind and has cerebal palsey but is a fantastic concert pianist. Anyway I have come to know Paul's wife Valerie and she let me see hundreds of photos, films, trophies etc. She even gave me Paul's record collection believe it or not. There was alot of Johnny Cash. It was amazing to see all of that history up close and personal.

Sorry to get off of the subject.

Archived