Shadow Creek Ranch

oddjob142

I am thinking of purchasing a home there but I have a few questions for those who live there.

I drove around the neighborhood and found everyone putting bags of trash on the curb.

-Why are there no bins for each house? Will you get them soon?

Also, the neighborhood I am looking at is in the flood plain. It worries me a little bit. I've read that the detention ponds and the lakes provide relief from the threat of flooding but I drove through during the major storm we had this week and there were 2-3 areas where the water was so high, making the roads inside SCR impassable.

-Should I be worried concerning potential flooding?

Any other feedback on SCR would be greatly appreciated. This is our first home and I am really scared about getting screwed over...

I am thinking of purchasing a home there but I have a few questions for those who live there.

I drove around the neighborhood and found everyone putting bags of trash on the curb.

Also, the neighborhood I am looking at is in the flood plain. It worries me a little bit. I've read that the detention ponds and the lakes provide relief from the threat of flooding but I drove through during the major storm we had this week and there were 2-3 areas where the water was so high, making the roads inside SCR impassable.

Any other feedback on SCR would be greatly appreciated. This is our first home and I am really scared about getting screwed over...

I do not live there but, there is no way they are building new development in the flood plain. The Developers or their Civil engineers had to get the drainage approved by h.c.f.c.d. Most likely they have a c.l.o.m.r. approved you don't know about. This is a conditional letter of map revision issued by Fema after reviewing a report mitigating the current flood plain conditions through on site drainage or site fill, to simplify. These approvals do not show up on the flood maps for some time till Fema has updated them and they have been approved by all channels

Do you know which areas of SCR flooded? I live in SCR and didn't see any water on the roads this week. But... I think some water was on 518 west of 288 (the southern boundary of SCR). There are ditches on either side of the road that routinely fill. It was passable Tuesday morning but not by much. This road is being torn up eventually and will be replaced with a wide road from 288 to 521. I was not driving through SCR during the storm but returned home about 6pm on Monday after the rain stopped. There was some water on 521 near 2234 but I didn't see any covered roads within SCR. All of the lakes I've seen are within 5-10 feet of overflowing their banks. My yard was "squishy" after all the rains but I didn't have any standing water. So, yeah, I wouldn't be too worried about flooding.

SCR, and all of Pearland I believe, do not allow trash bins. It surprised me a little bit when moving in, too. They just say the trash has to be contained. In a box, in a bag, such that everything on the curb can be tossed in the truck. The only exception is the green recycling container.

As BWSchultz stated the City of Pearland doesn't allow plastic trash bins. Here's the link -> http://www.cityofpearland.com/index.asp?Ty...E-3D31D422FB23}

As far as flooding, I didn't have any problems getting out of or into the neighborhood during the last rain storm. My husband was actually in and out of house that day and drove through the neighborhood and FM 2234/Shadow Creek Parkway with no problem (I live off of Kingsley near the new elementary school that is being built).

I believe FM 518 to the south of the neighborhood did become impassable at some point, but the worst parts were near the the constructions points for widening the street. Hopefully once 518 is widened all the way those problems will be alleviated but I'm not sure how long that will take. Looks like so far they are all working up to Kirby.

The lakes and retention areas did serve their purpose and are still very full. They are slowly draining, but I wonder how it would've been had the rain not stopped for another day or two. I think the SCR area got about 10 inches of rain.

I moved into SCR this past April. Love the neighborhood & have never been concerned about flooding. The past few days however have concerned me a little bit.

In looking at the closest Harris County Emergency Management rain gauge (Clear Creek at 288; http://www.hcoem.org/default2.php), SCR received approx. 10 in. total rain in the last 5 days, 3 of these 10 in the last 3 days, and almost nothing these last two days. There was a time a few days ago when their stream gauge had Clear Creek at 288 at over a 500-yr. flood level - but I couldn't find that info. later & it's likely an error.

My biggest concern is with the very slow rate of drop in the ponds. I know the master drainage plan is designed to hold water on-site to mitigate downstream floods along Clear Creek, but in my opinion we may have had widespread street flooding last night if we'd received the large rainfall predicted. We have had little to no rainfall the past 2-3 days & the pond near my house has only gone down 2-3 feet (after coming up over 10 feet. This 10 ft. is a guess.... I live near the most southeastern pond in SCR and it was approx. 3-4 ft. from spilling over. Had we received a big rain last night, our storm sewers would likely have backed up into our streets. Not sure how much storage the streets would provide until water reached houses. Probably quite a bit, but I have a bad feeling my part of SCR is slightly lower - all the ponds on the west side were lower than the east side last night.

In the end, the system did its job and I never saw even street flooding. I feel we may have just been lucky, though.

I'm not sure if they coordinated with HCFCD as SCR is not in Harris County. The floodplain map depicts my neighborhood not being in a floodplain, but did show one not far to the west (in SCR). With the master drainage plan & development that's taken place, these old maps are likely irrelevant. Flood Ins. at my house is cheap.

A few questions I'd like to know are:

1. Could they keep the ponds slightly lower so we'd have more storage?

2. I'd like to see a copy of the drainage plan. Are all ponds connected & do they all (even the far SE pond) flow north to the "Clear Creek Relief" you cross on Shadow Creek Pkwy?

3. What maintenance is required on the ponds & who does it? Maybe we have some debris problems?

4. Could ponds be lowered more quickly in an emergency? Depends on the elevation of Clear Creek likely.

5. Are the streets part of the storage design for very extreme events?

In all, it's a great neighborhood with well designed amenities. Just got a little spooked with the very full ponds and the doomsday weather forecasts for last night. Maybe some more info. is all I need.......... or a little pond maintenance.

I do not live there but, there is no way they are building new development in the flood plain. The Developers or their Civil engineers had to get the drainage approved by h.c.f.c.d. Most likely they have a c.l.o.m.r. approved you don't know about. This is a conditional letter of map revision issued by Fema after reviewing a report mitigating the current flood plain conditions through on site drainage or site fill, to simplify. These approvals do not show up on the flood maps for some time till Fema has updated them and they have been approved by all channels

If you look at the flood plain map on this website:

http://www.cityofpearland.com/vertical/Sit...3A2ABEFB2E}.PDF

-you will see part of SCR encompassed by the flood plain. Ironically, that is the exact neighborhood I am thinking about...hence my concern.

Do you know which areas of SCR flooded? I live in SCR and didn't see any water on the roads this week. But... I think some water was on 518 west of 288 (the southern boundary of SCR). There are ditches on either side of the road that routinely fill. It was passable Tuesday morning but not by much. This road is being torn up eventually and will be replaced with a wide road from 288 to 521. I was not driving through SCR during the storm but returned home about 6pm on Monday after the rain stopped. There was some water on 521 near 2234 but I didn't see any covered roads within SCR. All of the lakes I've seen are within 5-10 feet of overflowing their banks. My yard was "squishy" after all the rains but I didn't have any standing water. So, yeah, I wouldn't be too worried about flooding.

I drove around SCR on Monday in the afternoon. There were 2 spots where the roads were flooded and I had to turn around.

-The first area was the road in b/t Waterside Landing and Kelsey Pointe.

-The second area was near Rosewood Crossing and Jasmine Pass. There was construction going on at that school which probably led to the flooding there.

-There were some parts of the neighborhoods where the streets were flooded, but probably still passable. This was in Rosewood Crossing.

SCR, and all of Pearland I believe, do not allow trash bins. It surprised me a little bit when moving in, too. They just say the trash has to be contained. In a box, in a bag, such that everything on the curb can be tossed in the truck. The only exception is the green recycling container.

That really stinks. Pardon the pun. Will that ever change? Where are you supposed to put the trash while waiting for the pickup. What if it rains during that time. Infestation of flies...smells? That just doesn't sound right...to have very nice houses with trash sitting on the front lawn. That is so odd....

Thanks for all the replies...

That really stinks. Pardon the pun. Will that ever change? Where are you supposed to put the trash while waiting for the pickup. What if it rains during that time. Infestation of flies...smells? That just doesn't sound right...to have very nice houses with trash sitting on the front lawn. That is so odd....

The reason for no trash cans is they don't want everyone leaving them on the curb and then not picking them up for days - that looks bad. SCR rules state you can't put trash out until after 6pm & it has to be bagged up, etc. The trash guys then come by in the morning, and the neighborhood looks good by 9am. With trash cans, they'd be sitting out all day or longer until people get home. You can still obviously buy & keep a trash can in your garage or backyard, just don't take it to the curb. I personally like this system.........

The reason for no trash cans is they don't want everyone leaving them on the curb and then not picking them up for days - that looks bad. SCR rules state you can't put trash out until after 6pm & it has to be bagged up, etc. The trash guys then come by in the morning, and the neighborhood looks good by 9am. With trash cans, they'd be sitting out all day or longer until people get home. You can still obviously buy & keep a trash can in your garage or backyard, just don't take it to the curb. I personally like this system.........

or demand that your neighbors bring their trashcans in when they pull into the drive when they get home.

If you look at the flood plain map on this website:

http://www.cityofpearland.com/vertical/Sit...3A2ABEFB2E}.PDF

-you will see part of SCR encompassed by the flood plain. Ironically, that is the exact neighborhood I am thinking about...hence my concern.

According to FEMA's website, there have been 21 LOMR-F's (Letter of Map Revision based on Fill) approved by FEMA for the Shadow Creek Ranch FIRM panel (map number 48039C0010I) between 1999 and May 2006.

All the LOMR-F's have removed property from the floodplain by metes and bounds descriptions (as opposed to lot and block numbers), so without a survey or other drawing it's near impossible to tell what's been removed.

I believe FEMA is going to be issuing revised floodplain maps for Brazoria County in the "near future" (which could mean years using FEMA's definition of "near future"). The revised maps will certainly incorporate all the LOMR-F's.

When looking at those houses in Shadow Creek Ranch, don't hesitate to ask about the floodplain situation. If they want to sell the lots, I'm sure someone can point you in the right location to get a certain answer. Based on everything I've seen, though, I'd say with 99.99% certainty that all the finished lots in Shadow Creek Ranch have been removed from the floodplain.

Regardless, I'd buy the flood insurance (about $300/year if you're out of the floodplain).

SCR is a great place to live.

It would probably had taken another couple of days of the same kind of rain to see some bad flooding.

I drove around both Monday and Tuesday and main problems were around SCR on 518, which hopefully will be solved with the expansion work underway.

Yea, it does look like a very nice place to live. I think I am over the whole flooding deal, but I am bothered about the trash. I just imagine animals and flies having a fieldday. The smell can't be great either.

I looked into Fall Creek, but it just seems so far from everything. I think I will end up going to SCR. The only thing really holding me back is the lack of trash bins...

Yea, it does look like a very nice place to live. I think I am over the whole flooding deal, but I am bothered about the trash. I just imagine animals and flies having a fieldday. The smell can't be great either.

I looked into Fall Creek, but it just seems so far from everything. I think I will end up going to SCR. The only thing really holding me back is the lack of trash bins...

I agree with Crionics. At first, I was skeptical about the lack of trash bins. At this point, I've grown to accept it and and I don't mind. I'm happy that I don't see barrels rolling around in the street like when I grew up. Whenever it was windy, another trash bin would fall into the road and roll around. Not a problem here. Trash pickup is twice per week so there isn't too much trash on the curb at any one time.

I think the flooding is non-issue now that I've seen a really bad storm come through SCR. This morning, the lakes were much, much lower. Very noticable. I think we would have had to see the rain we had on Monday for an additional two or three days to have serious trouble. Could it happen? Of course. TS Allison dropped some 40+ inches in parts of Houston. There are very, very, very few areas in SE Texas that would be immune from any weather.

My only concern for the future of SCR is traffic. 518 is getting reworked now from 288 to 521. In the coming years, they will need to do something about 288 and 2234. There is no way 2234 will be able to exist as a 2-lane 60 mph road with two stoplights once all the commercial buildings are finished. I see a 35/40 mph road with 3-4 more stoplights and 5 lanes across from 521 to 288.

• 1 month later...

Just a couple of questions/ comments on what I have read here. First I don't think the no trashcan rule is a function of SCR as I have lived in Pearland for 14 years and that has been a city regulation since I moved there. No trach cans garbage in bags with no garbage put out before 6PM the day before pickup. Lawn clippings and other trimmings go in bundles or clear plastic bags for recycle pickup. Second who said the development was built on a landfill? I grew up in Southeast Houston and have hunted that area most of my life and cannot ever remember a landfill in that area. Most of the area was soybean and rice fields because I walked a lot of them hunting dove over the years.

What about the fact that its built on a landfill?????

SCR is not built on a landfill, but there is a landfill directly west of the subdivision on the Fort Bend county side, west side of FM 521. That landfill was started in the early 1990s and was originally proposed to be "done" in about 5 or 6 years from this year, at which point they cover the landfill and stop dumping trash in it. There is currently a proposal by BFI to expand that landfill. The City of Pearland, and numerous residents are fighting the expansion. You can find information at http://cabrle.spaces.live.com/

The contention points that nearby residents are taking is the size of the expansion and the environmental affects.

SCR is not built on a landfill, but there is a landfill directly west of the subdivision on the Fort Bend county side, west side of FM 521. That landfill was started in the early 1990s and was originally proposed to be "done" in about 5 or 6 years from this year, at which point they cover the landfill and stop dumping trash in it. There is currently a proposal by BFI to expand that landfill. The City of Pearland, and numerous residents are fighting the expansion. You can find information at http://cabrle.spaces.live.com/

The contention points that nearby residents are taking is the size of the expansion and the environmental affects.

For some reason, someone started a thread about that in Kingwood Underground, a site about Kingwood: http://www.kingwoodunderground.com/topic.jsp?topicId=4132250

How much is the tax rate? I've heard that it is over 4%. That is over 7k on a 175k house right?

Hi I live in SCR , my home property tax was 1414.63 and my other taxes were 4900 for the year this is my first tax bill, I bought for 245000 and was taxed at 166530.

Hope this helps you

Hi I live in SCR , my home property tax was 1414.63 and my other taxes were 4900 for the year this is my first tax bill, I bought for 245000 and was taxed at 166530.

Hope this helps you

Thanks. Does that include your homestead exemption?

• 1 month later...

Hope this helps you

I hope that was your tax on improved property.

• 1 year later...

I'm reviving this old thread since my question seems appropriate to it.

I have a friend who lives in SCR (Meadow Trails East) and she said that this year her HOA dues had been increased to over $800 (somethign like $810, I believe). I just wanted to know if you other HAIF'ers who live in SCR can confirm this. If so, did your HOA say why they had to raise the dues? Repairs from Ike damage or something?

I'm reviving this old thread since my question seems appropriate to it.

I have a friend who lives in SCR (Meadow Trails East) and she said that this year her HOA dues had been increased to over $800 (somethign like $810, I believe). I just wanted to know if you other HAIF'ers who live in SCR can confirm this. If so, did your HOA say why they had to raise the dues? Repairs from Ike damage or something?

$815 to be exact. Ike has a small part to do with the increase; SCR has 4 villages; In mine IKE extra costs came to around $20-$25k.

Main factor for the steep increase is maintenance of those lakes, pools & recreation centrs, etc. HOA dues have doubled in the last 4 years.... One would imagine that more houses would mean same or smaller dues, but as explained to me by the developer, at the end of each year they are still putting money out of their pockets to cover deficits. Hopefully the $815 will stay for a while or even decrease.

FYI....I also found out that all the clearing to the school site on 518 @ Half Moon Bay is nothing more than to get rid of a lot of the soil they excavated when expanding 518. That school is still years to come to live.

Having lived in both Silverlake (Allison) and SCR (Ike), I can say that both sides rarely flood and it does take getting used to the retention ponds. They fill up so fast and drain off very slowly but I guess that's what they are supposed to do. NO place is really safe from the floods that could happen in the gulf coast like Allison but I think SCR does a very good job with the drainage.

Someone in real estate told me that HOA dues are calculated based on number of occupied units in a subdivision. So I guess the fees are going up due to people losing their homes.

Maybe so, but I wouldn't rule out pure greed.

For example, from my perspective they are getting ripped off, because SCR probably has 8-10 times more residents than my subdivision (ST), yet our HOA dues were not increased this year, even after all the money that AWH spent to repair Ike damage here.

Maybe so, but I wouldn't rule out pure greed.

For example, from my perspective they are getting ripped off, because SCR probably has 8-10 times more residents than my subdivision (ST), yet our HOA dues were not increased this year, even after all the money that AWH spent to repair Ike damage here.

I have also heard, true or not, that HOA dues have gone up simply because not everyone is paying. So those that do pay have to make up for your neighbor that doesn't pay. Because the unfortunate thing is that the cost to prosecute someone for NOT paying can be considerable. And may or not be worth it. I've paid all 4 of my years and don't know of anyone who hasn't but it actually seems fairly logical to me. I for one would like to see a detailed breakdown of revenue/expenses. Because in my opinion, the number of houses increased far more than the amount of services in the last four years. Amount of landscaping is nearly the same. I think the 3rd rec facility opened about three years ago (and the fourth was supposed to be already open but hasn't started. So where is all the money going? I guess there was maybe some overtime to fix a few hundred trees after Ike but that's all I got. Doesn't the developer also get some of our MUD taxes (to then pay the city)? I realize it's paying for different things but the idea of the MUD tax is protect the developer and the city while spreading the burden to the taxpayers.

SCR is obviously in a recession - my builder is pulling out of our subdivision for at least 6 months after they finish four more homes. But I don't really believe that SCR is actually losing residents. It's gotta be going up, even if it's very slowly. But I don't think the costs should be rising... what has really been added in the last 3 years? If they were operating at a deficit all along well, then they must be related the federal government, I guess.

Archived