Midtown Medical Center At 1400 Gray St. & 3808 Main St.

Subdude

Sept. 17, 2004, 1:14AM

Midtown medical centers on tap

Two facilities expected to be physician-owned

By NANCY SARNOFF

Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

A local development group is planning three health care facilities on the outskirts of the Texas Medical Center.

The partnership, Midtown Medical Center, is under contract to purchase four blocks in Midtown where it plans to develop two 15-story physician-owned medical centers.

The two Midtown buildings will be built at 3808 Main and 1400 Gray.

The Main Street building, dubbed Main Medical Center, will sit just about a block away from a Metro light rail station and across Alabama from a burgeoning area of restaurants and clubs.

The second building, called Midtown Medical Center, will be just south of the Pierce Elevated.

The additional land acquired will eventually be developed with medical office space, retail centers or additional parking.

Both facilities, totaling 220,000 square feet each, are more than half leased by doctor groups, said Tim Delgado, a partner in the development group, which also includes Doug Brown of First Texas Residential.

"We were frankly blown away by the demand," said Delgado.

When construction is completed, title to the buildings will be turned over to the physicians who will practice there.

Jim Rutherford of Quality Infusion Care will have a presence and ownership in both buildings.

Rutherford's company will provide laboratories, pharmacies and chemotherapy treatment facilities in the properties.

"This concept is giving the primary care physicians ownership of what they do for a living," said Rutherford.

Each building will also include emergency rooms and operating rooms as well as 24 hospital beds.

http://images.chron.com/content/news/photos/04/09/17/bz-midmed.jpg

Link

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is most excellent news!

The construction along main should be interesting, though! The one thing I hope is that they put the emergency entrances AWAY from main, and it will be a relief for people who can't, for one reason or another, are able to make it to the med center proper.

Ricco

I agree about access to the Main site being better served by entrances off the Travis exit from Spur 527, and perhaps Alabama. There's a bit of that "you can't get there from here" confusion in surrounding streets, due to one-way streets and left turn restrictions. I'm sure they'll work it out.

Here's hoping that plaza shown in the rendering will face on the corner of Main & Alabama - it will be a welcome addition in an area that could use that amenity. Wonder when groundbreaking is scheduled?

I don't get it... Are the two towers being built next to each other at one of those locations, or are they building two identical towers in two different parts of Midtown? If it's the latter, that seems a little odd, doesn't it?

The renderings do look good though...

definitely.  This project is on 2 blocks, currently, one of them is land and the other is the blue "Cambe" building and the street between them (La Branch) will surely remain.

There is a big story on the front page of the HBJ about all of these developments and the sale of the Plaza.

Alright, thanks.

Okay, forgive me for being stupid, but this simple man needs some clarification:

1) The renderings above show the two buildings at the Gray location? Is that LaBranch between the two?

2) If (1) is true, then what does the one on Main and Alabama look like? The article only mentions 2 buildings being built.

Help!

i need to see what the back side of the the building will look like with those garages.  I hope it doesnt appear that the buildings face downtown and turn their back on midtown, but it does look like promising development for midtown.

Isn't Labranch a one way street running North? If so then I would hope they would make the buildings face south so you can see them as you are driving up Labranch.

I like how the twin buildings give the effect of a gateway into downtown.

Am i correct in understanding that there will be TWO structures at LaBranch/Gray?

One on the NW corner and one on the NE corner?

Or is it just one structure at the corner of LaBranch/Gray?

Either way...I hope that they do a good job of preserving some of those beautiful trees....they are HUGE...and some will undoubtedly have to be sacrificed...I just hope they can make some of them part of the plazas in the rendering.

I am excited about this project; especially the portion on Gray and La Branch. This will add synergy to the St Joseph's in the area creating a mini-medical center downtown.

This area is pretty rough right now. There are lots of "transients" in this area; no doubt likely to the half way houses nearby. I like the mirror image design.

I am not as excited about the building on Main. In my opinion, I would like to see Main lined with retail and/or residential in midtown. Medical buildings along Main belong in the medical center. But in Houston it is first come first serve in terms of land use.

• 4 weeks later...