Savoy Apartments/Hotel At 1616 Main St.

squatterkid

My pictures are all re sized all wrong. Oh well , you can see em fine. I just found this website recently and have been reading through posts for weeks. I wanna give a special thanks to Squatterkid for customizing all the places he lived in. It makes all those places much more interesting . The bouncy room is one of my personal favorites. I had to try it out for myself. :D
Edited by secretsquirrel

• 3 weeks later...
Ooooh....can I bounce in the bouncy room too? secretsquirrel's gonna have to give me a tour...

Looks really clean in there for a building that's been abandoned for >20 years.

The inside is great shape compared to other buildings I've been in .

Edited by secretsquirrel

Also, the Savoy is mentioned in the Winter 2009 issue of Cite, along with its old peers the Beaconsfield and the Rossonian..

Noticed that as well. Should be a good issue, it's titled Here and Gone. The cover is really nice, a 1950's apt. and pool. Just browsed thru, so far.

Too difficult ! It's on lock down. Only ninja's can gain access B)

I'll bet, because I walked around and couldn't figure it out. You must have entered through the parking garage as best I can figure. That or you did some climbing, or somebody just straight let you in. And I'm figuring the latter didn't happen.

The first picture in your reply to me, is that the older Savoy building? Looks like it, or it's another building that's all caved in on the inside. Got more pictures of the interior of the new building, the one that looks like it's still in good shape? I guess squatterkid looked after it when he was in there.

If this recession puts me on my ass I think I'm gonna go live up there. It's probably better than where I am :lol:

• 2 months later...
Ran across this list about asbestos & Houston bldgs. last night by accident, thought it was interesting.

http://www.asbestos.com/states/texas/houston.php

Says the list is compiled from many sources, don't know how accurate it is.

Looks like to me it's mostly just chronologically based. It it was built or substantially remodeled during The Golden Age of Asbestos

• 3 months later...

The Savoy is coming down tomorrow! Its been deemed structurally unsound and must come down immediately.

The Savoy (1616 Main St.), one of the half dozen or so derelict high- and midrisesin southwestern downtown, is to be imploded tomorrow in an emergencydemolition, according to HPD public affairs officer Victor Senties. Thebuilding was found to be structurally unsound and must come down atonce, he said, and added that more details are forthcoming fromofficials from Metro, HPD and the Houston Fire Department at a pressconference to be held at 3 p.m. today near the building. But not toonear, we're guessing.

The Savoy is two buildings in one. Theolder section was built in 1906 and was the first public building inthe city to have electricity. The yellow, mid-century modern additionwas added in 1961. Hair Balls has mixed feelings about this. It's sad to see one ofthe city's very first skyscrapers go, but even in spite of ourdownright minuscule engineering knowledge, even we could say that the1906 Savoy was, how shall we put this...falling the thousand dollars down. It madeus nervous every time we walked it in our parking lot -- directlyacross Travis Street -- to enjoy a cigarette. All the same, it's gonnabe weird having just a bigger piece of sky to look at back there.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2009/09/sayonara_savoy_derelict_downto.php

Yipes. I guess I'll be changing my plans tomorrow...I'm guessing it'll be in the AM?

I caught some of the press conference through the lame speaker on my computer. I thought he said that it would take several days and something about cranes, etc. Might not be an implode.

I'm pretty sure it's the old building. I remember earlier on this thread something about that building being affected by Ike. Apparently, the cracks have expanded in the past year.

The raw video I just saw on Ch. 11's site was a police officer saying they would do it "next Friday" and are going to have cops at the building 24/7 until then to make sure people don't go in and cars don't park there. Don't know if that's the official word, it's just what I saw.

The City of Houston will demolish part of the old Savoy Hotel September25 because it poses an immediate danger to civilians, HPD NeighborhoodWatch Chief M.L. Curan said today in a press conference. (Despite whatan HPD press officer told us -- and others -- earlier today, the Savoy will not be imploded tomorrow).

Passers-byhave reported bricks falling from the two-building hotel's smallerstructure, he said. The area around the hotel -- along Travis and Main,between Leland and Pease -- was being barricaded during the pressconference. Police officers will be posted around the area 24-7, Curransaid. He said there were no plans right now for a demolition byimplosion, but that will ultimately be up to whichever contractor winsthe bid.

He said the police have had difficulty contacting theowner, who is currently in Lebanon. (Curran didn't remember his nameoff-hand, but a 2007 Press story identified him as Michael Nassif). The owner has 10 days to file an appeal, Curran said.

The nearby Metro line will need to be closed during the demolition -- hopefully not longer than Friday-Sunday, Curran said.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2009/09/savoy_demo.php

No wammy no wammy, let's hope he doesn't appeal.

Coming into work this morning, I noticed they've already got all the streets cordoned off near the building, including a part of Milam - hell, they've got our entire building behind cones. It's fine on the weekend, but I can't imagine the congestion throughout all of next week. Yikes.

So the reports of falling bricks prompted this? That's been going on for a while. I wonder if something else (worse) happened. The apartment building has been caving in on itself for years now, and bricks started falling from the arches above the windows quite a while ago, too.