Diedrich Coffee At 1901 Westheimer Rd.

jlt1988

:lol: i'm sorry, but the picture of coffee aficionados and salon personel cat fighting cracks me up.

diedrich customer - "your ruining my favorite coffee place."

upper hand employee - "we want to make more people feel special."

sounds trite.

i hate to see diedrich's go, but passing out flyers in front of the salon is embarrassing. are the salon customers going to boycott diedrich's? how about a picket line with signs of a steaming coffee cup and a "X" through it.

i know i want to have a cup of joe while getting dirty looks from the neighboring business.

it's sad to see loyal customers of any business making an issue worse than it already is. showing your support (or lack of support) with how you spend your money is about the best you can do. IMO

Exactly!

the place had a very untexan scale on the inside so naturally i felt a bit off

This is great! Are you a texan?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent point, Red. Do you think that many people think that the coffee shop is a local product and not a franchise from another state? For years, I assumed Diedrich's was from Houston, as I had never seen or heard of one before going to the location being discussed.

I'm very upset with the impending closure of Diedrich too. It is my understanding that Dirk Smith definately wants this location. It is true that Diedrich said they were not interested in the lease, but that's because Diedrich is a franchise of Mr. Smith's. He was in negotiations, however, with the landlord. He said that he had the green light, and then within a matter of 24 hours the landlord suddenly changed its mind.

I personally will never do business with the salon, and I will make sure I always bad mouth them so that anyone in the future who might wish to visit them will hopefully reconsider. It is the salon that should be put out on the street in my opinion. It is very unethical, and this kind of landlord abuse should be illegal. They couldn't do this to a human being, but for business owners, I guess they aren't human beings in the eye of the law.

Find out more about Diedrich here, and come join in the dicussion. All views are welcome -- the good, the bad, and the ugly.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/diedrichforum/

Yes, Diedrich's is gone. Upper Hand parking signs have replaced the Diedrich's parking signs and the granite talbes on the east side have been removed.

After giving it a lot of thought, I have decided that the landlord likely took this action to solve his biggest problem - parking. With the new pub at the other end opening soon, more parking will make it more likely that the pub will survive.

Diedrich Coffee is opening a store in Rice's Fondren library: link

I didn't know the connection with Starbucks, but it looks correct: link

the dietrich's on montrose is now packed with the overflow from the closed location.

phooey. <_<

there's plenty of other good coffee shops in the area.

Diedrich Coffee is opening a store in Rice's Fondren library: link

I didn't know the connection with Starbucks, but it looks correct: link

i think this will have a negative affect on the student-run coffee house that's already on campus

and this diedrich won't be in the library - it'll be in the new pavilion which will be on the grassy expanse between the student center and the library (groundbreaking set for february i think), which is even closer to the other coffee shop.

:angry2: Can somebody explain the following to me? Diedrich was kicked off the property against its will because the Salon next door agreed to move into. Both parties agree this is what happened regardless of who stole what from whom. Now, as I drive by the location, there is a "for lease" sign. The salon doesn't appear to be moving in.

So if the place is up for lease with no tenant, why was Diedrich not told "hey, you know what, the salon isn't moving in after all. You can keep your space since you want it." Is this persecution against Diedrich? It seems more and more like the case to me. I'll never set foot on that property again, but I'd like to know why nobody has the space right now.

Is there someone with a legal background that may see a case that Diedrich has against the landlord? This reminds me of the days when people of a different color had to drink from a different fountain.

:angry2: Can somebody explain the following to me? Diedrich was kicked off the property against its will because the Salon next door agreed to move into. Both parties agree this is what happened regardless of who stole what from whom. Now, as I drive by the location, there is a "for lease" sign. The salon doesn't appear to be moving in.

So if the place is up for lease with no tenant, why was Diedrich not told "hey, you know what, the salon isn't moving in after all. You can keep your space since you want it."

Isn't there space on the opposite side of the salon that is available for lease?

The for lease sign, that is hanging on the post in front of where Diedrich's was, is for the furniture store on the other side of the Salon. That sign has been up for a long time, the furniture store I understand has found another location.

I peeped inside of where Diedrich's was and the bar is gone, they appear to be remodeling.

I know each side, the Upper Hand Salon, Property Manager, and Diedrich's all were threathing each other with law suits. Now since Diedrich's is gone, if anything comes of it, they would only know, for now. The Property Manager, definitly had the intent, of signing a lease with Diedrich's, that is shown by him e-mailing Dirk a copy of the lease to review & sign.

It certaining is true that, that center needs more parking, and that effects all the tenants.

Many great ships go down quietly, I am glad this ship made a big splash, on it's way down.

Thank you, that makes more sense. To the previous poster, I don't think the space across the street is the issue. It was the ambience of the store that made all the difference. That location across the street is ugly. There is no fountain, and it would be a step down. I don't even think parking is an improvement there. I can't see any advantage it has.

Is it just me, or is anyone else going to boycott this property? I know "innocent" tenants will suffer, but that's what our government does to the innocent citizens of tyrant governments. It's my only recourse, and I would feel sick to my stomach knowing that some fraction of my money will be lining the pockets of the company that kicked out my favorite coffeehouse against its will.

Is anyone else willing to boycot this property? If not, I'll just be all by myself. Still, that's a few dollar less for these unethical bastards. :angry2:

The for lease sign, that is hanging on the post in front of where Diedrich's was, is for the furniture store on the other side of the Salon. That sign has been up for a long time, the furniture store I understand has found another location.

I peeped inside of where Diedrich's was and the bar is gone, they appear to be remodeling.

I know each side, the Upper Hand Salon, Property Manager, and Diedrich's all were threathing each other with law suits. Now since Diedrich's is gone, if anything comes of it, they would only know, for now. The Property Manager, definitly had the intent, of signing a lease with Diedrich's, that is shown by him e-mailing Dirk a copy of the lease to review & sign.

It certaining is true that, that center needs more parking, and that effects all the tenants.

Many great ships go down quietly, I am glad this ship made a big splash, on it's way down.

• 2 weeks later...

Houston Chroncile article, November 11, 2006

I didn't see this article, I guess I was out of town.

Business

Jennifer Gonzalez-Reinhart, left, and Anastasia Pappas curl up with coffee and their work at Diedrich Coffee on Westheimer before the hangout closed last week. The details of what led to the lease not being renewed are not clear.

Carlos Antonio Rios: Chronicle

PLAY | BACK | NEXT

Nov. 12, 2006, 2:03AM

Community hangout

Coffeehouse's 10-year run in same spot is over; tenant wanted to stay, but landlord has final say

Popular or not, the lease is up

By DAVID KAPLAN

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

RESOURCES

More on small business

Q&A: Know routes that can lead to funding

Resources For the past 10 years, Diedrich Coffee on Westheimer has had a huge following. Many of its regulars considered it the most beautiful and pleasing coffeehouse in Houston. The thriving business doubled as an unofficial neighborhood community center.

Last Sunday, it shut down.

Its lease was not renewed, and Diedrich owner Dirk Smith said he doesn't know why.

Smith said he was about to sign a new lease until landlord Bradford Schmalfuss, vice president of T-Con Properties, suddenly changed his mind with no explanation. Smith said he is perplexed because Schmalfuss once told him that Diedrich was the center's best tenant, although Schmalfuss denies ever saying that.

"It's our decision who our tenants are" and "what the community feels is irrelevant," Schmalfuss said.

A decade of popularity

Diedrich Coffee, located in the Winlow Westheimer District, has been a popular hangout for 10 years.

It served as an informal study hall for neighboring Lanier Middle School students and teachers, as well as undergraduate, medical and law school students from across the city.

Sometimes, however, the community's and the landlord's wishes are different.

The Upper Hand, a salon and spa next door, will expand into the soon-to-be-vacated Diedrich space.

A flier distributed by a Diedrich customer implied that the landlord and Upper Hand jointly forced out the coffeehouse, but the Upper Hand's owner said it isn't true.

"It makes us look like corporate moguls pushing Diedrich out," owner Rachel Gower said, but in fact, she and her husband, Brian Williard, learned that the space was becoming vacant after Schmalfuss decided not to renew Smith's lease, and only then did they get the idea to expand, she said.

T-Con's attorney, Alex Cosculluela, offered three reasons Diedrich's lease isn't being renewed:

• 1 month later...
Now I know there were some other HAIFers who hung out there. So where did the Diedrich's crowd go to?

i would imagine nearby places like empire, brasil, agora, or the diedrich on montrose

Where is Cafe Europe? The music can get too obnoxious at Brasil.

i think it is further out - maybe galleria area?

Where is Cafe Europe? The music can get too obnoxious at Brasil.

Here is the info, no website though.

Mix of bar/coffee/and outdoor patio, just outside of uptown.

i would imagine nearby places like empire, brasil, agora, or the diedrich on montrose

i think it is further out - maybe galleria area?

I have heard about Agora, is that in Rice Village?

Archived