New Dallas Office Tower

TexasStar

st_ann.gif

Uptown skyline set to gain new high-rise

Saint Ann Court will be built between Crescent and Victory

10:40 PM CDT on Wednesday, October 11, 2006

By STEVE BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

Developers plan to break ground in January on what will be the tallest office tower yet in Dallas' booming Uptown district.

The 27-story Saint Ann Court will include 320,000 square feet of luxury office space plus restaurants and shops.

Harwood International hopes that its elaborate architecture can set the Saint Ann Court apart in an Uptown office market that is becoming crowded.

The glass and masonry tower will be constructed between the Crescent and the Victory project and will take about 18 months to build, officials with developer Harwood International said Wednesday.

"Our building will have 17 stories of office space above 10 floors of parking," said Harwood International founder and CEO Gabriel Barbier-Mueller. "We are now talking with several tenants who are interested in the building."

Rents in the building will start at $32 per square foot. That compares with about $23 on average in Uptown.

"We just did a lease for $37 in our Harwood International Center IV building, and we are full," said Mr. Barbier-Mueller.

Since starting in 1984 with the Rolex Building, Harwood International has constructed just under 1 million square feet of office space along McKinnon Street in Uptown.

The Saint Ann Court tower will be on an adjoining block at Harry Hines Boulevard and Moody Street. The developer has owned the land since 1999.

The property includes the historic Saint Ann's school building, which Harwood International plans to include in its project. The oldest part of the school was built in 1927.

Harwood International plans to use parts of the old Catholic school as restaurant, retail and art gallery space.

"We want it to be an amenity center, not just for our building, but the entire neighborhood," Mr. Barbier-Mueller said.

Architects for the high-rise include Chicago-based Perkins & Will and Dallas' BOKA Powell.

Mr. Barbier-Mueller said the top seven floors of the office tower have been designed for high-end tenants that want deluxe, secure offices.

"At the top we have smaller spaces and penthouses," ranging from 6,000 to 14,000 square feet, he said. "We are putting in outside terraces with fireplaces and patios.

"There will be a grove of trees on the 27th floor."

Those offices are being targeted to financial, professional services and legal firms

The roof top garden is a nice top.

The "grove of trees" sounds promising and would make me want to hang out on the roof top.

I think the grove of trees is a cool addition. Yeah, the flat top buildings seem to have taken over rather than an inspiring crown of sorts. But all in all I think it is a beautiful new building.

I think the grove of trees is a cool addition. Yeah, the flat top buildings seem to have taken over rather than an inspiring crown of sorts. But all in all I think it is a beautiful new building.

We finally agree on something!!!!!!!!(applause).And what's even better is that I get to watch it go up because I work in the building directly to the right on the 2nd picture. :rolleyes::D

We finally agree on something!!!!!!!!(applause).And what's even better is that I get to watch it go up because I work in the building directly to the right on the 2nd picture. :rolleyes::D

Don't forget ... I was the first one on the board to say the new Dallas Performing Arts Center was going to be a beauty as well. So make that two things we've agreed on. :P

No ....The "Jones Day" Building which is in the same complex with the Rolex.It's the building directly in the shadow of The new one to the right. :rolleyes:

All 10 floors? Woooo Hoooo .... :o

Do we have one that short in Houston? :lol:

Jus' kiddin' boi ... just kiddin'. Jones Day is a great firm. I work for a law firm, too; we are in a skyscraper in downtown Houston and have over 200 attorneys in the Houston office, so you know sometimes why I stress out. >:) By the way, our Dallas office recently moved to Fountain Place. They did a great job with the Dallas office. It is really, really nice now. Fountain Place is gorgeous. I remember, there's a restaurant where you are slightly below the fountains. We were seated at the window and watched the dancing waters. Don't remember the name, but it was pretty cool. You probably know.

Of course it does!......And the firm that I work for occupies the whole building so I have access to every floor and the rooftop. :D

Greetings neighbor. You don't have access to the 10th floor because I'm the mail boi on that floor. Surely we have bumped in to each other on the freight elevator pushing our respective mail carts.

Greetings neighbor. You don't have access to the 10th floor because I'm the mail boi on that floor. Surely we have bumped in to each other on the freight elevator pushing our respective mail carts.

Oh yes I do!!! :rolleyes: I Bank with Frost and I love the veiw from the lobby.And besides.....as long as the elevator stops at every floor,I will always have access. :D But it is great to know that We work in the same building. :D

All 10 floors? Woooo Hoooo .... :o

Do we have one that short in Houston? :lol:

Jus' kiddin' boi ... just kiddin'. Jones Day is a great firm. I work for a law firm, too; we are in a skyscraper in downtown Houston and have over 200 attorneys in the Houston office, so you know sometimes why I stress out. >:) By the way, our Dallas office recently moved to Fountain Place. They did a great job with the Dallas office. It is really, really nice now. Fountain Place is gorgeous. I remember, there's a restaurant where you are slightly below the fountains. We were seated at the window and watched the dancing waters. Don't remember the name, but it was pretty cool. You probably know.

It's 11 whole floors. <_< .And Our office has more than 200 lawyers also. Our Houston Office Just started about 4 years ago and they are already up to 50 lawyers.The Houston Office is in the Chase building. B)Oh and the restaurant you were speaking about that's in Fountainplace is called"Avanti".

Oh yes I do!!! :rolleyes: I Bank with Frost and I love the veiw from the lobby.And besides.....as long as the elevator stops at every floor,I will always have access. :D But it is great to know that We work in the same building. :D

It's 11 whole floors. <_< .And Our office has more than 200 lawyers also. Our Houston Office Just started about 4 years ago and they are already up to 50 lawyers.The Houston Office is in the Chase building. B)Oh and the restaurant you were speaking about that's in Fountainplace is called"Avanti".

Avanti.... best place in that area. Thanks for that info. BTW.... our Dallas office has approx. 50 attys in Fountain Place. We got lots of bonding going on here, 'boi. I think it is a good thing. I am beginning to see that you are "allright" and we have far more in common than not. B)

The roof top garden is a nice top.

The "grove of trees" sounds promising and would make me want to hang out on the roof top.

Trees planted that high on a tower would never survive past two years. The drying wind would destroy them or a severe thunderstorm can blow them off. Could you imagine trees raining down on you? That's worse than putting pea gravel on top of skyscrapers.

But... earlier in this thread you told us that the firm you work for occupies the entire building. And now we discover that, apparently, that is not the case. You told us that you have access to the entire building, which also now does not seem to be the case, at least not legitimate access.

And according to Emporis, the Jones Day Building has 10 floors.

And according to Jones Day's own website, their Houston office is in the Calpine Building, not the Chase Building.

Are you sure you even work there? ;-)

Jones Day. :ph34r: Cleveland based big ass firm. Nah, I'll work for my Houston-based big firm in a skyscraper rather than a house (11 stories) :lol::lol: Did you guys notice that Uptown Dallas is short? Anyone have the scoop on the tallest building there? Curious george. Also, a co-worker told me that Houston was the world's fifth largest office market. Anyone know about that remark?

P.S. Houston now has over 400 highrises.

Texas Tallest TowerB)

Jones Day. :ph34r: Cleveland based big ass firm. Nah, I'll work for my Houston-based big firm in a skyscraper rather than a house (11 stories) :lol::lol: Did you guys notice that Uptown Dallas is short? Anyone have the scoop on the tallest building there? Curious george. Also, a co-worker told me that Houston was the world's fifth largest office market. Anyone know about that remark?

Texas Tallest TowerB)

P.P.S. Houston has 329 Highrises.

Actually, that is old news. Houston now has 400 highrises. Dallas has 325.

Where are you getting 400 from? Emporis? If you look closer at Houston's page there, you'll see that out of the 400 listed, 15 were never built, 10 were demolished, 9 are under construction, and 35 are in the design/pre-construction phase.

So unless Houston just built 71 buildings overnight, you're wrong dude.

But, 28-story buildings are a dime a dozen. Gimme a 57 story skyscraper any day. Tell me Houston has one in the wings. I would believe that. Not another 26 story "thang". B)

Right now, it looks like Dallas has the tallest building in the works between the two cities. According to Emporis(and I know it's not totally reliable), Dallas' tallest approved tower is the 43 story Victory Tower(Mandarin Oriental), and Houston's is the 37 story One Park Place.

Actually, that is old news. Houston now has 400 highrises. Dallas has 325. But, 28-story buildings are a dime a dozen. Gimme a 57 story skyscraper any day. Tell me Houston has one in the wings. I would believe that. Not another 26 story "thang". B)

No, really, its anywhere from 329-340. While emporis may not be updated as frequently as possible, they are still accurate. Houston has 400 Highrise listings on there. (which includes completed, proposed, never built, approved, demolished, under construction, vision, or on hold). Now this is by their standards of defining a highrise as a structure either 12 stories or more.

So where did you get your information? (Don't anwser that, I know exactly what your doing wrong).

Dallas has 325 highrise listings. Of which +237 are complete.

So, let me say this again...

Dallas - +237

Houston - +329

Math is difficult for Dallas. They insist 1,250,000 > 2,016,000. :wacko:

So I guess 237 > 329. :lol:

Houston generated over 104,000 jobs from Mar 2005 til Mar 2006. Area employers are finding it difficult to find IT people, engineers, etc. to keep pace with the job growth. So I would imagine lots of new people will be moving to the area to fill these high paying positions. Stay tuned .......

I'm getting tired of all the flat-top buildings.

I am too. I live in Dallas and travel to Atlanta for business a few times a year. I'm jealous that they got quite a few buildings with spires during their big building boom in the late 80s to early 90s. Well, spires are out of style now and both Dallas and Houston missed the trend.

I do think Atlanta may be a bit overdone with the spires, but they are building a lot of great new modern flat topped building to mix it up and have a better representation of architectural styles.

Oh well, just my opinion. A lot of great projects are going up in both Dallas & Houston right now, but again, we missed out on the superfluous spikes, so... Will we go through another downtrend and miss the next time these spikes are in style???

But... earlier in this thread you told us that the firm you work for occupies the entire building. And now we discover that, apparently, that is not the case. You told us that you have access to the entire building, which also now does not seem to be the case, at least not legitimate access.

And according to Emporis, the Jones Day Building has 10 floors.

And according to Jones Day's own website, their Houston office is in the Calpine Building, not the Chase Building.

Are you sure you even work there? ;-)

Yes I am sure I work there <_< I've been working there for 6 years now.It does too have 11 floors.The 11th floor is Extra work spaces and file storage. Frost bank does have the 10th floor but it's not off limits to us.I'm up there enough to know every body by name.And when they move out (Next Year)we will then occupy the 10th floor. And Yes you are right it is the calpine building,but I recently just found out that we moved our offices from the chase tower in 2004.If you still dont think I work here then tuff cookies for you ;)

Texas Tallest TowerB)

Here you go...Flip Flop Cheerleading again.Yes Jones Day is Based in Cleveland ,but we are one of the top three largest out of 30 offices. And yes.......we too used to be downtown in Tremmell Crow building (in the air) But we grew to large and required our own building with more space(in Uptown).Yes... Uptown dallas is short......for now. Over time they will get taller and taller,and eventually uptown will blend right in with Downtown. "Houston Has 400 Hirises".....Ok it should, remember it's the 1st larget in Texas and 4th city in the U.S. ;) which means since we are waaaaaaaaay at #9 we should be waaaaaaaaay behind you guys...and we all know that's not true :lol:

Archived