Turnberry Galleria Luxury High-Rise At 5048 Hidalgo St.

Oh, I know the difference between the Mark and the Mercer.

My question was, didn't the same group of investors build both? I thought that after the Mark was completed, they came together to produce what was originally called the Mark II but later the name changed to the Mercer.

Is this correct?

I would say yes, because I think I remember seeing that too, or maybe I was as confused as you were too! :lol:

It looks like they've begun construction adjacent to the Transco water wall on Hidalgo across from Nordstroms. Is this the site for this 42 story tower?

That is the The Empire

Edited by Pumapayam

The Empire is actually on the south side of Hildalgo, I was looking at the north side of Hidalgo immediately adjacent to the water wall. Between the water wall and McCue. Any other ideas?

Ok, I did not know that the final piece of empty land was being built on, that is amazing, tehy little area will be so dense now, I hope it has ground level retail what ever is in there, some outdoor cafe will do wonders, with that water wall there! :D:o

So does anyone know what is going up, I saw the fence, but I am thinking more and more it could just be a debris fence for the work going on at the Empire, since it is only on the Hildago side of the street and does not emcompass the entire perimeter of the property.

Edited by Pumapayam

While on Richmond on yesterday, I saw a rendering that looked similar to this project in an open lot just West of the Best Buy but east of Hidalgo Street there on Richmond. I was driving and couldn't get a really good look but I think it may have been the Turnberry building.

Does anyone know if that is the correct location of the project and if so, what is the status of groudbreaking?

West of Best Buy but East of Hidalgo? Hidalgo runs east to west. Did you mean East of McCue? If so then it i sprobably the MarkII. They have had their sign in that empty lot for a long time.

So does anyone know what is going up, I saw the fence, but I am thinking more and more it could just be a debris fence for the work going on at the Empire, since it is only on the Hildago side of the street and does not emcompass the entire perimeter of the property.

So does anyone know if the above question I asked was a debris fence or a new project?

Bottom line: Turnberry will build its 42 story beauty or it will build a smaller one at 33 floors (that'd be big in Dallas but a blip in H-town). :lol: The dirt: are we gonna get a beautiful Turnberry project in one of the most desired settings in the city or are they gonna dick us around with this and that and scaled down versions of the original? Let us kow, Turnberry.... no playing.

Edited by houstonfella

• 2 weeks later...
the only people that can build high rise condoes in houston are interfin and randall davis

what other ones have ever worked?

redstone- no

orion- no

shamrock- no

monaco- no

2727 (address?) kirby- hopefully not but most likely not goin to get built

the huntingdon and the houstonian are the only high rises I know of (in this certain price range) that have ever been able to muster any sales

Don't worry. Just wait for me to get a college education and play in the NFL for a bit.

there is a chainlink fence with a dark brown/black cloth covering the patch next to the waterfall. No it is not "empire".
It is the lot hugged between the Empire, Nordstroms Garage, Williams Tower Parking Garage, and the Water Wall.

That is the same question I asked above.

No one knows, this is somewhat of a mystery now. :mellow:

no mystery, it's the turnberry associates project mentioned in the bizjournals article.

Turnberry gets high on Houston with planned condo tower

Houston Business Journal - April 7, 2006

by Jennifer Dawson

Houston Business Journal

A nationally known developer that has drawn attention for high-dollar condominium projects in markets such as Las Vegas and the Bahamas is moving forward with plans to build a luxury condo tower in the Galleria area.

Florida-based Turnberry Associates intends to build a high-rise condo project that could stand as tall as 42 stories just west of the Water Wall. The proposed site is just south of the Galleria on vacant land owned by Walton Street Capital LLC. Sources say Walton is a joint venture partner on the project, which will be located west of Post Oak Boulevard between Hidalgo and W. Alabama.

full story

turnberry has leased office space in the lakes on post oak. empire is on property that was the lakes on post oak. the new tower is across the street from empire, the lakes on post oak, the water wall, etc. no mystery.

wasnt turnberry the builder behind the orion?

if so, what makes you think this one will get off the ground?

I went to the orion site and they still have the sales office there gathering dust. I think people still work in it because there were a few cars outside and the promo video for the orion was still playing.

wasnt turnberry the builder behind the orion?

if so, what makes you think this one will get off the ground?

I went to the orion site and they still have the sales office there gathering dust. I think people still work in it because there were a few cars outside and the promo video for the orion was still playing.

The Sales "office" for Shamrock is still there. :ph34r:

Turnberry was NOT the builder behind the Orion. This is their first Houston development. Turnberry has a stellar reputation for getting things done in other cities (Aventura, Vegas, Pittsburgh, and tons of other Florida locales).

Just like the Wood Partners/Phillips deal (Mosaic), this will likely get underway because of the experience of the team from outside Houston.

if your in the houston market dont you want people with experience from inside houston?

vegas, florida and the others are high rise sanctuaries but houston is sprawl. think the texas ideal: big everything. people would rather want huge lots with great gardens than a balcony.

high rise builders in houston should try for the older market, the empty nesters and price accordingly. units starting at $1 mil dont really suit the retiree.

What ever it is they are building, they started framing this week. :D

I just drove past it!

How weird that no one here knows what the design looks like, yet it is currenty under construction in a highly visible spot!

That's not the tower, it's the sales office.

That's not the tower, it's the sales office.

That is one HIGH end sales office, I am used to seeing those as trailers I guess.

This one looks like it will be a permanent fixture, likely to be re-used as something else then.

If not, that is a waste of money to frame a sales office only to be torn down after the highrise is built.

Must be a "first impression" issue they are trying to convey. :mellow: