Turnberry Galleria Luxury High-Rise At 5048 Hidalgo St.

Looking for lots

Turnberry, a Florida-based developer, is sniffing around Houston for a site to build a swanky high-rise residential tower.

A spokeswoman from the company said there is talk about a Houston project, but there was "no information to give out."

A look at the company's most recent brochure, however, reveals a lot more.

It says Turnberry is planning a 42-story tower for the Uptown/Galleria area.

Sources said the company may be looking at a site owned by Walton Street Capital near the Williams Tower.

Founded by Donald Soffer, the company has such developments as the Aventura Mall in southern Florida and the Residences condominium hotel at MGM Grand Las Vegas.

• Like 1

Looking for lots

Turnberry, a Florida-based developer, is sniffing around Houston for a site to build a swanky high-rise residential tower.

A spokeswoman from the company said there is talk about a Houston project, but there was "no information to give out."

Sources said the company may be looking at a site owned by Walton Street Capital near the Williams Tower.

Founded by Donald Soffer, the company has such developments as the Aventura Mall in southern Florida and the Residences condominium hotel at MGM Grand Las Vegas.

What's your source on this?

For those who dont like to open PDFs:

turn0016hx.jpg

Im not sure if that is going to be it, though. Will it be taller than The Spires?

• 3 weeks later...
For those who dont like to open PDFs:

turn0016hx.jpg

Im not sure if that is going to be it, though.  Will it be taller than The Spires?

Thanks for that........also....... I have been searching Emporis and Skyscraperpage in order to see what is new for Houston skyscrapers. Yes, there seems to be a lot of residential construction occuring, but nothing really over 300-400 feet. Let's get another eye popping, trend setting, skyline altering (for the better of course) high rise. Anybody have any info. about a 750'+ highrise going up anytime soon in Houston?

m.

• 1 month later...

They'll stop building $300k residences in towers when the market can't handle it.

Most of the professional residential tower builders (orion is one, turnberry is another one) have the financial side of building these things laid out and planned.

Right now, a large part of the demand for this residencies is in the middle and higher end market.

I too would love a cheaper high rise residence.

I would rather have more midrise projects than this, plus they suport ground level retail better, but imo for uptown to be successful, they need to start from scratch again. Talk about suburban. From malls, strip malls, gated highrise condos, huge parking lots. Ugh, I give up.

Two of the strip malls near San Felipe and Post Oak or under consideratio for demolition to be rebuilt into highrise residential, commercial, and retail projects.

Yes I heard about that, which I am really looking forward to. IMO, a lot of Uptown needs to be re-done to get a true urban experience. Especially on Post Oak Boulevard. How are you going to have a Hermes of Paris boutique, Bailey Banks and Biddle, and a Maggianos, or whatevr it is called, in a strip center?

• 1 month later...
Looking for lots

http://www.turnberry.com/imgdir/Turnberry.pdf

turn0016hx.jpg

Any new news on this building?

It just in the list at turnberry's website.

They have a ton of projects. I don't see this going anywhere until they get some land for it. If they can't get a land deal that appeals to him, it could kill the project.

Right now I thing that project is just too early in concept to really make any projections. This would be there first high-rise residential development in Houston. They have a strong presence in Miami and Las Vegas. And since Las Vegas has grown out as much as it can (it abuts all government owned land and can't sprawl out eventhough the geography will allow them too), they are seeing a high-rise boom for residences.

That's true, relatively speaking for the area, but they've paid a lot more for land in south Florida. The difference is whether they think they can make "x" amount over the dollar-for-dollar return and be satisfied with it. I actually think it's the opposite in that you want to jump on land now before it really becomes scarce.

Is this the same project?

A mixed-use, multimillion dollar, high-rise complex will change the skyline along the city's Westchase District when construction begins later this year on Park 8 Grand. The project is set to include retail space, medical offices and luxury condominiums. Stephen Schorr, also with NAI 's Houston office, says groundbreaking on the 11.5-acre site at Beltway 8 between Bellaire Boulevard and Beechnut Street is expected to occur within the next few months. The project will include high-rise residential towers featuring luxury condominiums along with 130,000 square feet of retail space and about 20,000 square feet of medical offices. The retail phase of the project should be completed by fall 2006.

Well, it was in a Turnberry news letter. Not really on the website per se. Only their active projects show up. They had tons of possible new projects on the newsletter which included Houston.