Turnberry Galleria Luxury High-Rise At 5048 Hidalgo St.

Guys.. that white model doesn't appear to be a finished product. It doesn't have any materials on the actual model... just white for solid and gray for transparency...

I think its only meant to represent the form, so y'all can stop worrying about a white tombstone/urinal etc. going up.

If the gray were rendered green and showing refelctions, it would look very similar to the model shown in the 'more glass' render of post #203

i hope, i hope, i hope it will have some color other than white and tan. I also hope, with the new technologies and materials, it could have a more translucent appearance. Whatever the case, i am glad UT is becoming more dense looking with mid-rises.

Does anyone have any idea how hot the market is for urban residences in UT? I mean, i hear a lot about DT and MT, but am not for sure about the numbers when it comes to potential buyers for those UT highrises.

Robert M. Swedroe is the achitect. Check the website.

Thanks.

Where did you find that.... I spent 20 minutes yesterday trying to google for the architect to no avail.

I may have been wrong about the 'not gonna be white' thing.... this architect has done dozens of mid-rise and high-rise projects.. and almost every one has white cladding.

Edited by Highway6

Guys.. that white model doesn't appear to be a finished product. It doesn't have any materials on the actual model... just white for solid and gray for transparency...

I think its only meant to represent the form, so y'all can stop worrying about a white tombstone/urinal etc. going up.

If the gray were rendered green and showing refelctions, it would look very similar to the model shown in the 'more glass' render of post #203

i was thinking the same thing.

If it is being billed as a 38 story, that includes the parking. Thats not 38 stories of residencs on top of x levels of parking.

You can't just compare stories between two completely differnent types of buildings.

Even with Condo type ceiling hts of 11-12' ceilings, a residential highrise will have a smaller Floor to floor than an office building.

Office buildings ususally have over 13'-14' floor to floor.

For comparison sake.. the Cosmpolitan has 12' FtoF on it's residential levels, is 24 floors total including 6 parking levels.. it will top out at 315'.. IF we add another 14 floors, that would put us at 480' for 38 floors..

Highway6 was almost SPOT ON with his estimate for 480'. According to the architects, the building will top out at 485'6" to the highest point of the arch on the top of the tower.

That would make it the 4th tallest in Uptown, behind the Williams, San Felipe, and Marathon Oil. The next largest are the Four Oak Twins at 444'.

Highway6 was almost SPOT ON with his estimate for 480'. According to the architects, the building will top out at 485'6" to the highest point of the arch on the top of the tower.
....will be roughly half the size.

Williams 901'

Turnberry 485'6

53.8%

Can I get a Boo-yahh?

Williams 901'

Turnberry 485'6

53.8%

Can I get a Boo-yahh?

Well it may be a little bit less than what I'd thrown out there, but I'm still concerned that Williams Tower won't completely dominate everything as seen from the ground or highway. Nothing immediately around it is that tall, and this one will be right up next to it, making it seem a bit less imposing, IMO. That'll be especially true from northbound 610 in the Bellaire area.

Well it may be a little bit less than what I'd thrown out there, but I'm still concerned that Williams Tower won't completely dominate everything as seen from the ground or highway. Nothing immediately around it is that tall, and this one will be right up next to it, making it seem a bit less imposing, IMO. That'll be especially true from northbound 610 in the Bellaire area.

My thought exactly. I love that view!

That'll be especially true from northbound 610 in the Bellaire area.

Well, at least it's not due south of Williams. Tis southwest, so Yes, there will be an additional mass competing for your attention, but it shouldn't block any of Williams from view.

Well, at least it's not due south of Williams. Tis southwest, so Yes, there will be an additional mass competing for your attention, but it shouldn't block any of Williams from view.

Oh yea... that's right. For some reason I was thinking it was directly south of the Williams Tower.. but that's where the Water Wall is. It won't really block the Williams Tower... I think it will actually look nice sitting right next to it.

Shoot, I'm for as many tall buildings as we can get. I don't care where they are. The more tall buildings we have the more urban we become. Critical mass, that's what we're looking for.

Shoot, I'm for as many tall buildings as we can get. I don't care where they are. The more tall buildings we have the more urban we become. Critical mass, that's what we're looking for.

That's not always accurate. I recall from another thread on this forum that if you average the tallest ten buildings in every city in the world, Houston has the 10th tallest-building average. Does that make us the 10th most 'urban' city in the world?

Truth be told, most of the very tall buildings are more ego-driven than financially-driven. What you want is density. Gulfton is currently the densest part of town in terms of population, and how many tall buildings does it have? Downtown is the densest part of Houston in terms of built space, but many would argue that even it is not 'urban' because most pedestrians are in the tunnels and street activity is sparse.

This building will also be built on the western most part of the block, away from the waterwall. The areas facing the waterwall across the street will include what appears to be a green space/lawn/pool area as well as a very "green" looking parking garage with roofdeck amenities. The garage only appears to be 4-6 stories tall.

So, in the end, it will be one block west-southwest of the Williams tower and the buidling itself will be on the western most part of that block from what I can gather.

I don't know about how tall we are, but Houston's big, getting bigger and Turnberry is a great addition to Uptown. So, One Park Tower is rising downtown, 2727 Kirby in River Oaks is going to be gorgeous, Mosaic is almost ready to top out its first tower, Endeavor on Clear Lake is probably topped out by now . . . yeah, this sleeping giant is awake and ready to rumble. Woo hoo. :P

This building will also be built on the western most part of the block, away from the waterwall. The areas facing the waterwall across the street will include what appears to be a green space/lawn/pool area as well as a very "green" looking parking garage with roofdeck amenities. The garage only appears to be 4-6 stories tall.

So, in the end, it will be one block west-southwest of the Williams tower and the buidling itself will be on the western most part of that block from what I can gather.

Correct...

Courtesy of WesternGulf from SkyscraperPage Forum... who said it's courtesy of Shasta.

http://img410.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1...rnberry1pp8.jpg

Looks like the building itself will actually be situated in a north/south way as opposed to east/west, like say The Mark is. I wasn't expecting that... but maybe they want a lot of people to have a Downtown view. It kind of reminds me of the Mark... shape-wise... still a much nicer building, though. This definitely won't block the amazing view of the Williams Tower when coming up 610 from the south.

This definitely won't block the amazing view of the Williams Tower when coming up 610 from the south.

Yeah, but like Highway6 suggested, I just don't like that it'll be another giant mass competing for attention on the skyline. I mean, the Williams Tower by itself is rather unremarkable except for its sheer size and utter dominance of that area. I don't want it just to be described as the building with the rotating light, or as the tall one, but in essence as the building.

I mean, the Williams Tower by itself is rather unremarkable except for its sheer size and utter dominance of that area.

It's tempting to mock the above statement; but, in the words of the old song, "She's more to be pitied than censured."

T :o he Niche afraid of change? Dear friend, have you forgotten this is Houston? ^_^

The Williams Tower should always remain as the tallest in that area of town... Its the Light house. I don't think the Turnberry Towers will make too much of an impact, although their light tone will contradict the dark blues of the William's Tower. The rendering looks amazing, look how green and lush the bottom is, I hope it turns out like that! I like the criss cross grid on the crown, I hope the lighting scheme is cool, maybe like 1200 Post Oak.

I'm glad the Uptown area will have a taller & denser skyline.

T :o he Niche afraid of change? Dear friend, have you forgotten this is Houston? ^_^

Nah, I'm just being petty. I'll always prefer the view I have now, but more than that, I prefer the unimpeded dynamism and as-yet-unknown potentials to be discovered many years and decades into Houston's future.

Edited by TheNiche

Correct...

Courtesy of WesternGulf from SkyscraperPage Forum... who said it's courtesy of Shasta.

http://img410.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1...rnberry1pp8.jpg

Looks like the building itself will actually be situated in a north/south way as opposed to east/west, like say The Mark is. I wasn't expecting that... but maybe they want a lot of people to have a Downtown view. It kind of reminds me of the Mark... shape-wise... still a much nicer building, though. This definitely won't block the amazing view of the Williams Tower when coming up 610 from the south.

This pic only appears to show the building at 33 floors. What's the deal? I want my 5 other floors!