Turnberry Galleria Luxury High-Rise At 5048 Hidalgo St.

No, as I don't know how high the ceilings will be in the new building. I also did not take into account any structured parking on which the residential building may sit. I don't have enough information to do anything other than compare the number of stories.

If it is being billed as a 38 story, that includes the parking. Thats not 38 stories of residencs on top of x levels of parking.

You can't just compare stories between two completely differnent types of buildings.

Even with Condo type ceiling hts of 11-12' ceilings, a residential highrise will have a smaller Floor to floor than an office building.

Office buildings ususally have over 13'-14' floor to floor.

Edited by Highway6

If it is being billed as a 38 story, that includes the parking. Thats not 38 stories of residencs on top of x levels of parking.

Notice that two towers are planned for this relatively small site and that a third tower is entirely possible. Seems to me that structured parking underneath the residential floors is likely, but no specific mention was made.

When there is ambiguity and your only source is media coverage, do not assume that you actually know anything.

For comparison sake.. the Cosmpolitan has 12' FtoF on it's residential levels, is 24 floors total including 6 parking levels.. it will top out at 315'.. IF we add another 14 floors, that would put us at 480' for 38 floors..

Well, that would mean more of it is for the parking garage too, not to nitpick! :P

You can't just compare stories between two completely differnent types of buildings.

Even with Condo type ceiling hts of 11-12' ceilings, a residential highrise will have a smaller Floor to floor than an office building.

Office buildings ususally have over 13'-14' floor to floor.

Office buildings typically have 10-foot ceilings and 4-foot service spaces between floors. How large would the service space be between floors in a condo building with 12-foot ceilings?

Well, that would mean more of it is for the parking garage too, not to nitpick! :P

replacing a residential level with parking level would make the overall ht go down..

Notice that two towers are planned for this relatively small site and that a third tower is entirely possible. Seems to me that structured parking underneath the residential floors is likely, but no specific mention was made.

When there is ambiguity and your only source is media coverage, do not assume that you actually know anything.

I was simply assuming the same thing you were... that we are dealing with a 38 story building.

When a media report states the levels of a building.. or when a developer tells the media the ht of a new project, in stories, I think its safe to assume that they are talking over all..... not the levels of just one apect of the building.

You assumed office floors are typically equal to residential floors... you thought you knew what you were talking about.

Edited by Highway6

Office buildings typically have 10-foot ceilings and 4-foot service spaces between floors. How large would the service space be between floors in a condo building with 12-foot ceilings?

Condos have smaller service spaces.

Mechanically the two building types work differently.. they don't have equal service areas spead over the entire area like an office does.

If you're in a 12' floor to ceiling living room, the concrete you might see above you is the next slab up.

And unlike offices, you don't have endless grids of flourescant lightings... your drop down ceilings can be much smaller, or in some places non-existent. Where you try to have the bulk of mechanical systems is above where you wouldnt need those ceiling hts... closets, bathrooms, kitchens....

Also.. back to parking garages... Williams has detached parking like most offices. Most residential highrises need less parking than the office equivalent, so it can afford to stack the parking under the residential.... which means, thats a floor that has gone down to a 10' floor to floor parking level from a 12' or 14' residential floor. ... most office towers don't have as much luxury to include several 10' parking level in its overall floor total thus shaving off 20-25'... they're typically stuck with the 14' hts throughout.

I'm simply saying... based on what we do know, 38 stories.. and based on what I know.. that a x level residential tower will typically be shorter than a x level office tower..... that it should be closer to 50% and not 60% of Williams 900 ft.

Edited by Highway6

Hey Highway6-

Where did you find the building height for the Cosmo? Is it really going to top out at 315'? Also, when did they add 4 floors to the project? I heard a rumor they were increasing the size from 20 floors but is the final version going to be 24 floors?

Thanks in advance!

Hey Highway6-

Where did you find the building height for the Cosmo? Is it really going to top out at 315'? Also, when did they add 4 floors to the project? I heard a rumor they were increasing the size from 20 floors but is the final version going to be 24 floors?

Thanks in advance!

I don't know when it was 20 floors or when floors got added.

I know its 24 floors - 15 residential, 2 lobby, 5 parking, 2 mech floors

I have friends that work for the design firm... and I assume the information shared with me was current since its under construction.

The original announcement was for a 20 floor tower. I think pre-sales were so strong they added some residential floors. If you go to www.brandallen.com and search their projects, you'll find the reference to a 20 story tower.

Thanks for the update though. Do you know if it indeed will top out at 315'? I've been searching for www.emporis for awhile but have kept coming up empty on trying to find the actual height to list it under. Thanks again. It's a cool looking building.

The original announcement was for a 20 floor tower. I think pre-sales were so strong they added some residential floors. If you go to www.brandallen.com and search their projects, you'll find the reference to a 20 story tower.

Thanks for the update though. Do you know if it indeed will top out at 315'? I've been searching for www.emporis for awhile but have kept coming up empty on trying to find the actual height to list it under. Thanks again. It's a cool looking building.

most architectural firms are pretty bad about updating project info on their websites.

the one associate dealing with the website, if the website is even done in-house, might not have anything to do with a specific project. details like that surely woudln't be updated all that often as scope and details of projects change all the time.... i imagine it won't be corrected until its finished, if ever.

Edited by Highway6

That's news to me. I thought this site was always planned to have just one tower. Are you thinking of the new thread on the 2 35 story towers next to Walgreens on Sage @ Westheimer?

It looks pretty much like how I thought it would look, except I thought they'd go with some form of a light green, blue or mango.

They all do look alike don't they.

Almost like they are reharshing designs from previous buildings.

Still, a nice location, will likely be the most expensive condo building, since you really can walk to the Galleria mall faster than you could get into your car, drive across the street and re-park.

Banal, uninspired, yet in keeping with the recent additions to our skyline! Seriously, why couldn't we get some steel and glass for God's sake??? Tunnel form crap is all this is....

If you know Turnberry, there was no reason to be so anticipated to know what the design would look like.

Which Turnberry are you talking about, Steel and Glass for their Houston projects. . . not even close.

Ummm, i think i was referring to Post #165, although i just saw the renderings for the Galleria project this morning. Disapointing.

;)

^^^

And by disapointing, i mean i wish it did not look so much like many of the other highrises that have been erected UT in the past few years. I understand continuity- but it is beginning to look cookie-cutter like. Hmmm. Maybe there will be some revisions. We can hope.

Also- in my reference to Turnberry's glass and steel- i was specifically referring to their Miami project.

m.

AH yes, more tombstones and urinals!

yay! :lol:

Exactly. (sigh)

:(

If this rendering is correct or even close, all I can say is Blaahhh! Can't anyone come up with something other than a beige in color? I would have also prefered a little sleeker lines. It's almost the exact design of the Dominion Post Oak which on the surface doesn't seem so bad, however if the Dominion boys decide to even somewhat duplicate there existing tower, we'll have cookie cutter city.

This Turnberry design would be much more to my liking. It has a kind of Nautical (flowing lines) appeal with nice color, which is of course attributed to MORE GLASS.

Turnberry-Ocean-Colony-Rear.jpg

I went to there website but it was running very slow. I looked a little but didn't see any info on the Houston project.

Edited by Gary

Oh, there's definitely room for improvement, but it's not hideous IMO. Just pretty straight-forward. Nothing earth-shaking. Just typical Turnberry.

I was, however, hoping for a more varied color-scheme, I guess.

I guess so. I just hope for a little more color at least.

Oh, there's definitely room for improvement, but it's not hideous IMO. Just pretty straight-forward. Nothing earth-shaking. Just typical Turnberry.

I was, however, hoping for a more varied color-scheme, I guess.

Guys.. that white model doesn't appear to be a finished product. It doesn't have any materials on the actual model... just white for solid and gray for transparency...

I think its only meant to represent the form, so y'all can stop worrying about a white tombstone/urinal etc. going up.

If the gray were rendered green and showing refelctions, it would look very similar to the model shown in the 'more glass' render of post #203

Edited by Highway6