Turnberry Galleria Luxury High-Rise At 5048 Hidalgo St.

[

I'd have to agree about the quality of the views, but then that is offset by the fact that, as you pointed out, we aren't very dense. Do Houston's views make up for our general lack of a walkable pedestrian-oriented environment with a good selection of shops at the street level, as is common in NYC and Chicago? That'd be very much a matter of individual preference.

Yeah, too bad we are at a stage in Houston that we have to choose between one or the other. Lack of density means, as you said, lack of urban amenities and niceties- whereas creating density packed in like NYC and Chicago means sameness. The only draw would be the warmer weather and the very affordable housing market. Alas, we cannot have it all. :mellow:

What part of "They are just building a "grand" sales office." do you not get?

Maybe they looked at the wrong post. Try repeating it. :rolleyes: Otherwise........good luck, you are on your own with this one.

Edited by marc

I think my post was pretty clear. The building going up on this lot seems way too big for even a "grand" sales office. Therefore I have doubts that it is a sales office that is being built. Can anyone confirm what the structure they're building really is?

Perhaps this project is more grand than most of us think, then. That piece of land is far too prime(next to the fountain, acorss from the Williams Tower, etc) for a small building like that, unless our friends at Zone D'Erotica have finally decided to expand and relocate their store.

Just kidding, of course :P

This is what I don't understand, we know they aren't building a 42 story wood frame building, why are they building such a large wood frame building on this site? That building looks way bigger than a sales office needs to be.

It looks to me like they are building a BIG sales office that will attract fat wallets for their new tower. Nothing wrong with doin' it up right. :rolleyes:

Turnberry is known nationally for having a huge "knocked out" sales center when they embark on a project. There will probably be a full blown model apartment inside. Additionally, there will be an area where materials selections can be viewed. Lastly, there will be an area where the sales and management team can conduct their business and sell, as well (translation: office areas). So, the size of the structure that is currently under construction does not seem large to me.

As far as living in a high rise is concerned, it's really a lifestyle choice. For people who travel a lot, it is very nice to not only have a turn key primary residence but it's also nice to enjoy the same 5 star amenities at home that you do when you travel. This is a luxury product and not only will it be expensive on the front end to purchase, the monthly carry on the units will be quite high as well.

Regarding the market, in addition to a lot of people who are moving to Houston from other cities with vertically dense housing areas, there is a very large Mexican National market in Houston. Many Mexican Nationals are very affluent and rather than staying in hotels when they are in Houston, they prefer to own a high-rise apartment. The Galleria area has a very deep Mexican National following, as seen in the four towers that Borlenghi has built over the last 20 years.

Edited by sanman

• 3 weeks later...

I asked a worker who was unloading some material off of the blue truck seen in the picture what the building was going to be. And he said, "I don't know senor." and I said, "ah, sta bueno."

Edited by Boris

:) Maybe someone could go on site and ask??

I will be in Houston in 3 weeks, so if no definative answer by then, i will see what i can see. :)

And yes- i would HOPE that something so small would not be put on such prime real estate. I know zoning is lax in Houston, but good grief!

AND, i was wondering, as far as we are concerned- it is still to be around 40-45 stories?? perhaps around 600'? If so, that is going to look awesome (depending of course, on the design) in that perfect area.

m.

Looks like a Jared's...j/k I would be highly upset if thats the most massive building placed on that property.

Can't be a Jared's, there's not enough parking as it is. I'm obviously speculating,but i still think this is going to be a sales office that's eventually converted into some sort of an amenity for the condo.

I don't know about all this highrise stuff... but if I were to guess, I'd think it is a high-end sales center. Probably model units designed to impress the rich and famous. But if it turns out to be a four story Wal-Mart in one of Houston's most expensive tracks of land, I will look real stupid. Anyhow, wouldn't be a first for me. :lol:

I don't know about all this highrise stuff... but if I were to guess, I'd think it is a high-end sales center. Probably model units designed to impress the rich and famous. But if it turns out to be a four story Wal-Mart in one of Houston's most expensive tracks of land, I will look real stupid. Anyhow, wouldn't be a first for me. :lol:

In doing a bit of research i found that Las Vegas and Miami have a couple of these high-end sales centers similar to what seems to be on the property in Houston. They usually have some mock-ups inside showing what one could get in a studio/one/two or more condo. I am betting this is what's happening in UT.

If not, like you, i guess i will have to eat my share of crow.

:rolleyes:

It's not much, and perhaps it's been posted before, but I found this on Turnberry's website:

Turnberry Tower at the Galleria Houston, Texas

Turnberry Tower will consist of a 42-story condominium tower, offering 180 expansive, ultra luxury residences. The 42-story tower will be located in the heart of Houston's upscale, internationally known shopping mecca, The Galleria Mall. (Currently under design development).

That was quoted from a brochure on their website. I don't know when it was written.

I'm a little surprised they haven't publicized the contruction of the sales center.

It's not much, and perhaps it's been posted before, but I found this on Turnberry's website:

Turnberry Tower at the Galleria Houston, Texas

Turnberry Tower will consist of a 42-story condominium tower, offering 180 expansive, ultra luxury residences. The 42-story tower will be located in the heart of Houston's upscale, internationally known shopping mecca, The Galleria Mall. (Currently under design development).

That was quoted from a brochure on their website. I don't know when it was written.

I'm a little surprised they haven't publicized the contruction of the sales center.

I am surprised too. Something this BIG happening in UT- i am surprised there is not a billboard with at least a hint of a concept of what it may look like. AND does anyone know of any projected construction dates, beginning and ending? I wonder if it will be glass and steel or a more stone-like structure resembling several already built over the past few years in that area. Anyone have even a remote clue? Give us some hope here. :D

That was written over a year and a half ago. Since then, I've heard it had been scaled back to 34 floors. I guess we'll have to wait and see. There's a website coming on-line at www.turnberryhouston.com that I check on but nothing yet...

*&%$???!!!!! RATS scaled back!! i hate that crap! (sorry had to vent) i mean come on- 34 stories is nice and all, but 42............ we need something like that in UT. Was Enron 2 the last 40+ storey to be built in Houston? i was hoping for another and soon. :angry2:

BTW thanks for the info. i think. :rolleyes:

Whoa! Four stories? I tend to agree. It's likely to become something else once the tower is constructed.

It has also been built right up to the sidewalk, perfect for pedestrian traffic for a sidewlk cafe, right across the street from the water wall mind you. If a restaurant is born from this, expect long wait times to get a table I am sure, just for the view.