Children's Museum Of Houston At 1500 Binz St.

Children's Museum to unveil major expansion

Houston Business Journal - 12:10 PM CDT Fridayby Greg BarrHouston Business Journal

The Children's Museum of Houston intends to double its exhibition space and boost its community outreach programs in a $35 million expansion project.

The downtown museum, at 1500 Binz, has raised about $20 million in its capital campaign so far. It intends to reach out to the business community to help raise 10 percent of the goal, or $3.5 million, to support its new science, technology, engineering and math, or STEM, exhibits.

The museum will unveil the expansion plans at an Oct. 17 press conference.

Among the new STEM exhibits is PowerPlay, created in partnership with Baylor College of Medicine,

Another STEM exhibit, Invention Convention, developed in cooperation between the M.I. T. Media Lab and the University of Houston, among others, will allow visitors to create inventions and share them with others.

Other new exhibits in the expanded museum will include Kidtropolis, a child-size city, an outdoor Water Power exhibit and an expanded Tot Spot exhibit for toddlers up to age 3.

The Children's Museum of Houston is ranked as the country's No. 2 children's museum by Child magazine.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto...ml?surround=lfn

Good, the current museum is way too small for a city this size.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
I know that's way cool as I have taken my little nephew 6 yrs old there once. Jeez, I'll have to take him back and again. But that's OK. Since we have such a terrific place for "Little Man," I won't mind. Houston does provide greatness beyond expectation. B)

just found out that ground breaking will be done by the end of the year, and it will be decided sometime tnis week on the scheduling and exact size of the facility.

• 4 months later...

They're starting the construction on August 26th.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/hei...ws/4913565.html

I spoke to a woman carrying a model of the planned expansion and she said that they owned some property on Binz and Jackson that they would be building administrative offices on as well. I think the plan was to demolish an existing super ugly one story commercial building right next to some townhouses and build on that lot... but I could be mistaken.

• 1 month later...

The construction seems to be moving forward. They have fenced off the lot across the street from the museum (the Ewing LaBranch, Austin Binz block). Does anybody know if this lot is going to be developed? They have also razed the structure at Jackson and Binz where the new offices are supposed to be located.

I'd be interested to know more about this project if anybody has more info.

The construction seems to be moving forward. They have fenced off the lot across the street from the museum (the Ewing LaBranch, Austin Binz block). Does anybody know if this lot is going to be developed? They have also razed the structure at Jackson and Binz where the new offices are supposed to be located.

I'd be interested to know more about this project if anybody has more info.

There's a little information here on their website:

http://www.cmhouston.org/ExportedSite/Abou...s/Expansion.htm

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • The title was changed to Children's Museum of Houston
  • The title was changed to Children's Museum Of Houston At 1500 Binz St.
  • 10 months later...