Dallas

despisedallas

Has anyone else noticed the construction boom in dowtown Dallas and surrounding areas?

Why isn't this happening in Houston??!!!! :huh:

I hate to admit it.....but the downtown Dallas architecture is much more impressive than Houston's, and now it's getting more dense and more impressive! And Dallas just seems to be much cleaner and impressive architecturally and visually.

It just irks me, because I know so many people from Dallas, and they're so cocky. :angry2:

Why does Houston lag behind them? We're still trying to figure out how mass transit fits here, and they've got DART up and running, and very functional.

I'm just frustrated, and I just don't understand it.

Has anyone else noticed the construction boom in dowtown Dallas and surrounding areas?

I hate to admit it.....but the downtown Dallas architecture is much more impressive than Houston's, and now it's getting more dense and more impressive! And Dallas just seems to be much cleaner and impressive architecturally and visually.

It just irks me, because I know so many people from Dallas, and they're so cocky. :angry2:

Why does Houston lag behind them? We're still trying to figure out how mass transit fits here, and they've got DART up and running, and very functional.

This has been discussed extensively, look under Dallas threads. I suggest reading all if not most because this subject has been beaten to a pulp. Mod should close or merge thread

PS

Welcome to HAIF

I'm trying to figure outwhat your talking about. Downtown Dallas is not booming, in fact there vacancy rate is around 26%. As far as Dallas having better downtown architecture, most of the world would dissagree with you. Houston has been booming for 10 years now, with alot more sceduled to go up.

Everyone, please. From the name to the post, this person is just trolling for trouble. In fact, I suspect it is a DFW poster looking for some fun. Please ignore the thread.

I think the mods should close the thread, or at least merge it into something less inflamatory.

Has anyone ever spoke with city officials about why grand projects such as Victory park in Dallas aren't planned here in Houston.

According to what I've read, Victory was in the works a decade ago.

You guys can chirp all you want about how Dallas is "catching up" to Houston....the fact is Houston is slower......and projects are not as well planned as ones in Dallas.

Has anyone ever spoke with city officials about why grand projects such as Victory park in Dallas aren't planned here in Houston.

You guys can chirp all you want about how Dallas is "catching up" to Houston....the fact is Houston is slower......and projects are not as well planned as ones in Dallas.

CHIRP, CHIRP, CHIRP ! Ok, I go ahead and bite. Dallas doesn't suck, it BLOWS !

I'm trying to figure outwhat your talking about. Downtown Dallas is not booming, in fact there vacancy rate is around 26%. As far as Dallas having better downtown architecture, most of the world would dissagree with you. Houston has been booming for 10 years now, with alot more sceduled to go up.

I said "construction boom".....didn't mention anything about vacancy.

Honestly...I'm a Houstonian that HATES Dallas.

I am honestly frustrated about how slow Houston is at certain things, and how Dallas gets things rolling such as DART and the Victory Park project, which is much grander in scale than what's on tap with Houston Pavilions.

All you have to do is drive up I-75 from downtown Dallas thru Richardson to Plano, nevermind Las Colinas and everywhere else.... and see how different it is up there compared to here.

It bothers me is all....and why I posted the message.....I guess venting.

Don't at all mean to start any war......didn't even realize there were so many Dallas peeps on here until a few minutes ago (rookie mistake).....thought I was just venting to fellow Houstonians who love our town.

mea culpa

Honestly...I'm a Houstonian that HATES Dallas.

I am honestly frustrated about how slow Houston is at certain things, and how Dallas gets things rolling such as DART and the Victory Park project, which is much grander in scale than what's on tap with Houston Pavilions.

All you have to do is drive up I-75 from downtown Dallas thru Richardson to Plano, nevermind Las Colinas and everywhere else.... and see how different it is up there compared to here.

It bothers me is all....and why I posted the message.....I guess venting.

Don't at all mean to start any war......didn't even realize there were so many Dallas peeps on here until a few minutes ago (rookie mistake).....thought I was just venting to fellow Houstonians who love our town.

mea culpa

I would suggest that you get out around town a little more.

It wasn't meant as a come back.

I wouldn't be making my statements if I hadn't gotten around both Houston and Dallas.

No need to get defensive.....I'm pro Houston, but just don't see how Houston is stacking up to Dallas.

No your not. Your initial post explained how upset you we're with Houston being so behind Dallas (which isn't true).

Just to end this, Houston has been building like mad in the Med Center, Uptown and Midtown. That is why your post makes no sense.

You are living in a vaccuum if you're comparing what's going on in the Med Center, Uptown, and Midtown to what's going on in Dallas.

I WISH....it was comparable....goodness, I do. I'm not suggesting that Houston is just sitting on it's hands...it's definitely making strides....but....cmon.

The comparison is like comparing our light rail system to theirs.

But to each his own.

You are living in a vaccuum if you're comparing what's going on in the Med Center, Uptown, and Midtown to what's going on in Dallas.

I WISH....it was comparable....goodness, I do. I'm not suggesting that Houston is just sitting on it's hands...it's definitely making strides....but....cmon.

The comparison is like comparing our light rail system to theirs.

But to each his own.

Alright, you got me. By the way, in which part of Dallas do you reside? <_<

I was so excited to find this forum when my parents moved to the area. I thought it was a great way to find of what's going on in Houston and what neighborhoods and buildings were worth a look. I rarely would even post. But it seems that all you guys do is talk about Dallas. I just read the Dallas forum too, I may have posted 10 times in three years, but I will say one thing....you guys are much more obsessed about Dallas, than Dallas is obsessed about Houston. I wasn't even aware the was a "rivalry" until I found this forum. I saw "Dallas" under the "Skyscraper" topic and thought you guys would be discussing...oh.. I don't know... skysrapers and once again another Dallas V. Houston thread. Houston comes up ocassionally on the Dallas forum, but not constantly the way Dallas comes up here. It makes you guys look paranoid and insecure. Which city one likes better is so subjective, it merits little if any discussion. I like both cities and feel no reason to constantly pit them against each other. It's lame, tired, and boring.

I was so excited to find this forum when my parents moved to the area. I thought it was a great way to find of what's going on in Houston and what neighborhoods and buildings were worth a look. I rarely would even post. But it seems that all you guys do is talk about Dallas. I just read the Dallas forum too, I may have posted 10 times in three years, but I will say one thing....you guys are much more obsessed about Dallas, than Dallas is obsessed about Houston. I wasn't even aware the was a "rivalry" until I found this forum. I saw "Dallas" under the "Skyscraper" topic and thought you guys would be discussing...oh.. I don't know... skysrapers and once again another Dallas V. Houston thread. Houston comes up ocassionally on the Dallas forum, but not constantly the way Dallas comes up here. It makes you guys look paranoid and insecure. Which city one likes better is so subjective, it merits little if any discussion. I like both cities and feel no reason to constantly pit them against each other. It's lame, tired, and boring.

Agree for the most part.......glad you like both towns. I guess maybe if every Dallas person was like you, people here wouldn't feel such animosity and a need to be defensive.

Troy, the reason we talk about Dallas is because Dallas posters come here with an agenda in mind, and start this crap. Don't blame the Houstonians for this, we know our flaws. Of course that's something pretty much every Dallasite could use a course in.

By the way, I'm willing to bet that our little friend IS NOT from Houston. Can you guess where he might be from? <_<

Agree for the most part.......glad you like both towns. I guess maybe if every Dallas person was like you, people here wouldn't feel such animosity and a need to be defensive.

I forgot to mention...I've been in Dallas for three years and rarely have I heard anyone say anything negative about Houston. And when I'm in Houston, rarely do I hear a negative comment about Dallas. I think you guys tend to think that everyone thinks like the people on these forums. Many members on urban forums like this, be it Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Seattle, or Chicago, are passionate about thier city, and are quick to become overly defensive and envious. But that's not the average citizen. It seems the only people really intent on keeping tired rivalries going are people on urban forums.

Troy, the reason we talk about Dallas is because Dallas posters come here with an agenda in mind, and start this crap. Don't blame the Houstonians for this, we know our flaws. Of course that's something pretty much every Dallasite could use a course in.

By the way, I'm willing to bet that our little friend IS NOT from Houston. Can you guess where he might be from? <_<

haha!! :D You would lose the bet!!

You're so funny! I actually tried to prove that I was from Houston, and I think the mods took my post off because I called the Dallas Cowboys a bad name.

I tried! But for next Sunday.....GO TEXANS!!!

You can liken my post to my love for the Houston Texans.....they haven't been very good....but I still root for them!

I just want Houston to be top of the class of cities.

Dallas vs.FW,Dallas vs.Houston,Austin vs.SA will it ever end...let us take a crowbar to the rest of the country or just oklahoma,that would be better.All they ever do is talk down on Texas and Texans.

Oh,and leave the Cowboys out of this.

texastrill:

let us take a crowbar to the rest of the country or just oklahoma,that would be better.All they ever do is talk down on Texas and Texans.

Word. We might as well be the backwoods of Georgia. We're all rolly polly cowboy hat wearing, racists, tobacco spitting, not a lick of culture rednecks to the rest of the country. Or at least to non-southern states. They see us as all the same. We can't catch a break. So be it.

I suspect it is a DFW poster looking for some fun.

Red:

Kindly leave the "FW" off please. The "Dallas" forum claims the western half in name only. And to the originator of the thread, I am in Dallas every other week for business (real estate), and you are exagerating to a slight degree about the development up there relative to Houston, not to mention that Dallas would have to at least double its current space/buildings to match that of Houston. Dallas is a great city and has a great deal going for it (uptown/McKinney/State-Thomas is shaping up very nicely) and it has a very distinctive and recognized skyline. That said, most true architectural critics would counter that Houston's skyline possesess more true representations of great architecture.

Red:

Kindly leave the "FW" off please. The "Dallas" forum claims the western half in name only. And to the originator of the thread, I am in Dallas every other week for business (real estate), and you are exagerating to a slight degree about the development up there relative to Houston, not to mention that Dallas would have to at least double its current space/buildings to match that of Houston. Dallas is a great city and has a great deal going for it (uptown/McKinney/State-Thomas is shaping up very nicely) and it has a very distinctive and recognized skyline. That said, most true architectural critics would counter that Houston's skyline possesess more true representations of great architecture.

:lol:

Sorry, tcole. As I was writing, it occurred to me that this poster probably lived in an outlying suburb, as opposed to the actual City of Dallas (since Dallas makes up barely 20% of the Metroplex), so I threw in "DFW" to cover that probability. Having lived in both Dallas and Fort Worth, I fully agree that Fort Worth is NOT Dallas.

But, back to the topic at hand. Aside from the fact that this poster cannot even get more specific than that he is from Houston, a troll is a troll. And, this poster's only comments are on his own thread, with a name meant to stir up trouble. Frankly, I do not care where he is from. He is a troll. It is hard enough to have a decent debate about Dallas without a few Dallas posters coming on to scream about anything that doesn't proclaim the city to be the best at everything, promptly followed by a slapdown from Houston posters. We don't need trolls from WHATEVER city they claim to be from stirring the pot.

To me, Victory Park looks like Greeenway Plaza with late 20th/early 21st century architecture. So, it seems Dallas is finally catching up with Houston... about 30 years later.

To me, Victory Park looks like Greeenway Plaza with late 20th/early 21st century architecture. So, it seems Dallas is finally catching up with Houston... about 30 years later.

Actually they are not catching up. While there building, we're building. I Can't remember where I read this, (maybe HBJ) but last year Houston was only slightly behind Dallas in mid and highrise condo construction. With all the talk about the going's on in Dallas, we we're quietly building at almost the same pace, which means they ARE NOT catching up, but keeping pace with a slight gain.

Someone else could probably verify this.

:lol:

Sorry, tcole. As I was writing, it occurred to me that this poster probably lived in an outlying suburb, as opposed to the actual City of Dallas (since Dallas makes up barely 20% of the Metroplex), so I threw in "DFW" to cover that probability. Having lived in both Dallas and Fort Worth, I fully agree that Fort Worth is NOT Dallas.

But, back to the topic at hand. Aside from the fact that this poster cannot even get more specific than that he is from Houston, a troll is a troll. And, this poster's only comments are on his own thread, with a name meant to stir up trouble. Frankly, I do not care where he is from. He is a troll. It is hard enough to have a decent debate about Dallas without a few Dallas posters coming on to scream about anything that doesn't proclaim the city to be the best at everything, promptly followed by a slapdown from Houston posters. We don't need trolls from WHATEVER city they claim to be from stirring the pot.

Yes, Red Scare, we don't need any more stoking the fires between Dal & Hou. As we all know, current growth in Texas is wonderful. What good would it do to say Dallas is growing faster or more cooly than Houston than vice versa? This state is the best state in the USA. Therefore, I am hanging my hat on that fact. Just because I am a Houstonian (very proud) doesn't mean I don't enjoy reading that Fort Worth or Laredo is getting a new highrise or art museum. Texans + Texans. New Yorkers wouldn't understand.

Actually they are not catching up. While there building, we're building. I Can't remember where I read this, (maybe HBJ) but last year Houston was only slightly behind Dallas in mid and highrise condo construction. With all the talk about the going's on in Dallas, we we're quietly building at almost the same pace, which means they ARE NOT catching up, but keeping pace with a slight gain.

Someone else could probably verify this.

Well, let me be the one to verify it.

I never could quite put my finger on it, but I always thought exactly what you've just written. So, what you are saying is that Dallas is ahead of Houston, which is leading Dallas, which is building faster than Houston, which means they are not catching up, but rather keeping pace with a slight gain.

Finally, someone clears it up.

Great post.

Archived