Mary Regina The Catholic Store At 1617 Main St.

musicman

I was on Main again and was surprised that Mary Regina Catholic store had closed up shop. They had been there since the 50's. This business along with Sacco's on San Jacinto are probably the big two shops to buy relgious items, vestments, etc.

I did go to their website and found out they have moved to Sugarland. Of course i was nosey and asked why they moved. They've had lower business the last few yrs. The owner didn't like having to frequently run off the homeless sleeping at their front door when opening up in the morning. The owners are in sugarland now and decided to move the business out there.

First the Meat Rack abandons its plans in Midtown and now a 60 year old religious article shop leaves.

Is Midtown losing its moral diversity? (please, I'm just joking). Well, at least CVS is still there.. :mellow:

I guess having the homeless kneeling in their own pews is not exactly what they had in mind. Be careful what you pray for!

But seriously, I don't know where on Main they were but, if rail is really the development spur many say it is, maybe something interesting will arise there.

well maybe IF they were kneeling the owners would have offered aid but they were sleeping. they were located on main at webster in an older strip center with angled storefronts. the other spaces are empty with for rent signs on them. i believe there is a chevron(or shell now) right next door. and i think parking sucks.

Edited by musicman

well maybe IF they were kneeling the owners would have offered aid but they were sleeping. they were located on main at webster in an older strip center with angled storefronts. the other spaces are empty with for rent signs on them. i believe there is a chevron(or shell now) right next door. and i think parking sucks.

Right across from Greyhound? Yeah, that would've been a tough location...with or without LRT.

well they made it for nearly 50 yrs but after light rail they had no parking. The were across from the hispanic bus station.

Um...they had ZERO parking before the light rail, too. I don't suppose the NEW OWNERSHIP had anything to do with their move? Your first post said they moved because of the bums. The light rail schtick you added yourself.

BTW, are you suggesting that because of this, we are all going to hell...or is it just METRO?

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, I was just at this store before the closing. I didn't even know they had closed.

The store was pretty small in comparison to Veritas on Chimney Rock. When I went there I found parking out front, but I had to be buzzed in and the door was locked behind me. I believe that they may have been worried about safety at the location. Things may have changed in the 50 years it had been open, and they may have felt unsafe.

As a young female, I wouldn't want to work somewhere that I had to buzz people in.

Um...they had ZERO parking before the light rail, too. I don't suppose the NEW OWNERSHIP had anything to do with their move? Your first post said they moved because of the bums. The light rail schtick you added yourself.

BTW, are you suggesting that because of this, we are all going to hell...or is it just METRO?

i don't wish anyone to go to hell. Somehow it just all works out in the end.

Edited by musicman

• 3 months later...

Dudes, Dudes y'all play nice with each other.

I would think with the new catholic cathedral (which even us Galveston catholics are paying for), and with Sacred Heart purchasing the old federal reserve building, that religious activity might be picking up in the area.

The bus stations are pretty nasty though.

• The title was changed to Another Business Bites The Dust
  • The title was changed to Mary Regina The Catholic Store At 1617 Main St.