From What I Saw Of Dallas

I went to Dallas/Ft.Worth metroplex and this is what I noticed. I was going to a sci fi con and went from North Richland Hills to Plano. Talk about a LONG boring drive!!

VERY LONG and VERY BORING Drive!!!

I saw:

Churches (not the chicken place)

Resturant Row (and for the Dallasites you know where I mean)

Lots of empty areas

Movie theatres

and that was about it. I know it was the outskirts of the metroplex but nonetheless even when I go out of houston's outer limits I have LOTS of beautiful greenry to look at.

Even when I stayed IN North Richland Hills and around that area, I hated it. I was bored to tears and felt spoiled because in Houston, you leave a neighborhood and voila you got something right there. Target, Walmart, mall, shopping centre.

I left my mom's neighborhood and I had to drive some distance to get to a Walmart, Target, or store. Even gas stations were a bit spread apart compared to here they are on every corner.

I hated going miles and miles just to go to a Petsmart/Petco when here in Houston its around the corner.

I hated all the lights were "Turn on Yield" where as we at least have arrows (protected)

For those in Dallas who think Houston is an ugly sprawl. Houston is going through some MAJOR MAJOR changes and I say in a couple years check back here and see how we're doing. I notice the city is cleaning some of its image up a bit and it is starting to look beautiful. Overlook the towering freeways in every direction and massive billboards.

Look at what's available here. We're all within reach a forest, a beach (even if the water is a muddy brown), A Lake, growing downtown center, and many events that are still IN the city and not the suburb (like Dallas's baseball stadium)

I don't want to put down Dallas but its definately not a top ten destination for me. I don't even see how its a family place. Aside from Six Flags and the movie theatres, what do y'all do there as a family?

Houston is my hometown, and I don't feel I belong here either but until I gather money to go to Toronto, I simply have no choice BUT to live here.

Just do your "big sister city" a favor and don't dog us too much (even though the sibling rivalry DOES exist)

I am impressed with Dallas's skyline and that's it. Other than that, Dallas has alot of gaps in the city where you just see trees and cow pastures for miles. Don't get me wrong, Houston has its share of cow pastures too but it's mainly along the northeast side of town. Houston is way more of a "city type" infrastructure simply because of the various skylines. I love the appeal of the Westheimer and Richmond strips/ Westchase district, Uptown/Galleria, TMC, Greenspoint, Greenway plaza, and downtown. Although i am a little upset that many of the businesses like Citgo seem to be ignoring downtown as a prime destination when downtown should be the city's centerpiece. The fact that Houston has all of those different areas and much ethnic diversity and history (i.e. The Wards, Chinatowns, Rice U, TSU) in the city of Houston alone is why Houston remains to be more like the "Los Angeles" of Texas. Dallas and Fort Worth are two cities with their own identites, that even if they were combined , it still wouldn't match what Houston has. Not to take anything away from Dallas, i think its a great city, but i get mad when i hear people uptalking Dallas all of the time when it doesn't even really have as many amentities as Houston (Except their DART rail is ahead of ours).

I'm new to Texas, but I'm learning fast that there seems to be a rivalry between Houston and Dallas that I didn't know existed. I'm from California, so I can tell you we have the same thing there between LA and San Fran. You got the one city that's considers themselves more sophisticated and culturally suave and what not, or as others might say, "snobbish," and then you got the other city that is considered large and unruly. Then you have San Diego doing their own thing, which I guess for TX would be San Antonio. Our capitols differ though, Sacremento is, God forbid, inland! Eww. While Austin seems to some kind of hip trendy place, but I don't have first hand knowledge. Anyways, I can't really comment on HouVsDal since I've never been to Dallas, but Houston had the job and the cost of living was in my price range!

I went to Dallas/Ft.Worth metroplex and this is what I noticed. I was going to a sci fi con and went from North Richland Hills to Plano. Talk about a LONG boring drive!!

I don't want to put down Dallas but its definately not a top ten destination for me.

Wouldn't this be like driving from Conroe to Sugarland and coming to a conclusion on the merits of the Houston area?

I'm new to Texas, but I'm learning fast that there seems to be a rivalry between Houston and Dallas that I didn't know existed.  I'm from California, so I can tell you we have the same thing there between LA and San Fran. You got the one city that's considers themselves more sophisticated and culturally suave and what not, or as others might say, "snobbish," and then you got the other city that is considered large and unruly.  Then you have San Diego doing their own thing, which I guess for TX would be San Antonio. Our capitols differ though, Sacremento is, God forbid, inland! Eww. While Austin seems to some kind of hip trendy place, but I don't have first hand knowledge.  Anyways, I can't really comment on HouVsDal since I've never been to Dallas, but Houston had the job and the cost of living was in my price range!

Just don't base the whole site on this whole Texas Sibling Rivalry! :) (WELCOME!)

If you need any help to aaaahhh-justing to Houston, just PM anyone who you think could help!

--------------------------------------------------

Well, like everything these days, its all a competition... Walmart vs Target, CVS vs Walgreens, Houston vs Dallas etc... But in the end, everyone benefits from it! because it may be never ending who gets the bigger and better stuff, it will always be an improvment from what we had before!

like this?

I saw:

Churches (not the chicken place)

Resturant Row (and for the Dallasites you know where I mean)

Lots of empty areas

Movie theatres

and that was about it. I know it was the outskirts of the metroplex but nonetheless even when I go out of houston's outer limits I have LOTS of beautiful greenry to look at.

Even when I stayed IN North Richland Hills and around that area, I hated it. I was bored to tears and felt spoiled because in Houston, you leave a neighborhood and voila you got something right there. Target, Walmart, mall, shopping centre.

I left my mom's neighborhood and I had to drive some distance to get to a Walmart, Target, or store. Even gas stations were a bit spread apart compared to here they are on every corner.

I hated going miles and miles just to go to a Petsmart/Petco when here in Houston its around the corner.

I hated all the lights were "Turn on Yield" where as we at least have arrows (protected)

For those in Dallas who think Houston is an ugly sprawl. Houston is going through some MAJOR MAJOR changes and I say in a couple years check back here and see how we're doing. I notice the city is cleaning some of its image up a bit and it is starting to look beautiful. Overlook the towering freeways in every direction and massive billboards.

Look at what's available here. We're all within reach a forest, a beach (even if the water is a muddy brown), A Lake, growing downtown center, and many events that are still IN the city and not the suburb (like Dallas's baseball stadium)

I don't want to put down Dallas but its definately not a top ten destination for me. I don't even see how its a family place. Aside from Six Flags and the movie theatres, what do y'all do there as a family?

Houston is my hometown, and I don't feel I belong here either but until I gather money to go to Toronto, I simply have no choice BUT to live here.

Just do your "big sister city" a favor and don't dog us too much (even though the sibling rivalry DOES exist)

i agree. Where in dallas do you find an urban/skyscraper area with this much traffic like this?

i been to dallas several times, i have cousins there. There is absolutly no traffic in the downtown or uptown area. Not like the traffic you see in houston's tmc, uptown and downtown areas. All the activity in Dallas is in the suburbs(boring). You will never see a setting like the picture of the tmc i posted in Dallas. Going down westhimer road in houston is a expereince you can only feel in houston. Dallas has no road like that with that much activity going throught the heart of the city. The only place i expereince traffic in Dallas in in the freeways especially near the suburbs. Face it Dallas is a family freindly suburban city. Show me one picture of heavy traffic in your uptown/downtown area and i might change my mind.

It's really sad to see how rapidly this board has fallen back into the old Dallas-bashing routine. It was tedious in the old database and it's tedious now. If the commentary now has dropped to the level of "Dallas blows" then the discussion has probably run its course.

Dallas is alright, it has some good...some bad....I try comparing things when i am there. I was there this weekend and it's hard to get around sometimes. The roads don't seem to run straight. But I like the "uptown" area alot. They have a lot of residential high-rises up and more planned. Their downtown is dead, is not as impressive as Houston's. It seems like there are more options in Houston, as far as locations to go out, etc. Houston, as a whole seems like it has more momentum in the growth dept. What do y'all think?

Dallas is alright, it has some good...some bad....I try comparing things when i am there.  I was there this weekend and it's hard to get around sometimes.  The roads don't seem to run straight.  But I like the "uptown" area alot.  They have a lot of residential high-rises up and more planned.  Their downtown is dead, is not as impressive as Houston's.  It seems like there are more options in Houston, as far as locations to go out, etc.  Houston, as a whole seems like it has more momentum in the growth dept.  What do y'all think?

I was even noticing places that look rundown here are attempting at a makeover. Houston is changing quickly. What used to be the only tower in the sky (Williams Tower) are now many high rises and condos.

Where Chinatown used to be Barren and empty is now full of life and busy with many people of different cultures from the far East.

From what I read on here the Wards (3rd Ward for example) is getting a makeover.

The tollways coming up with the more beautiful then green overpass signs

Granted some roads need to be worked on!

But even the strip centers don't look so dumpy!! :)

Also you want to compare a suburb, which one aside from Pearland do you begin?

How about Bellaire TX with Houston

Katy into Houston

Clear Lake into Houston

Woodlands into Houston

(if you want surburbs)

Wouldn't this be like driving from Conroe to Sugarland and coming to a conclusion on the merits of the Houston area?

Yah, good point. I just spent four days in "Houston" and could draw similar conclusions about it as BayouCityGirl did of "Dallas".

/sarcasm on

Like her, I didn't really spend any time in Houston, it was all in Pearland & Friendswood. That said, I can easily generalize about the entire city of Houston from my experience.

Wow, the drive down I-45 from Conroe to Friendswood is boring! That's just an ugly highway with HOV lanes that seem to be a total waste of money. They were either closed or no one was using them. Nothing but billboards, xxx video stores, strip centers, a very ugly mall south of d/t near Beltway 8, and wall to wall traffic. There were large stretches of emptiness between some of the stip centers. And each time I got on I-45 there was a wreck (seriously, it sucked).

Downtown Houston appeared deserted from what I could see of it while crawling through traffic on I-45 (it really needs more than 3 lanes near downtown). Nevermind it was the Thanksgiving Holiday and most businesses were closed... and I could barely see anything from my car. I'm choosing to ignore those points.

I didn't see anything off I-45 that looked like all the beatiful buildings and urban areas that Dallas has in uptown (save for my pass by downtown). No, I didn't bother to go near the Galleria area. I saw all I needed to from I-45. Pearland and Friendswood had no incredible neighborhoods like there are in Highland Park... therefore, those suburbs must be pathetic places to live. Dallas suburbs are constantly changing (Frisco, etc) and much more upscale than little Friendswood or Pearland. Wow, I'd never want my family live in either of those places. There weren't nearly enough Walmarts near where I was staying. Yah, that's how I rank a city... how close the Walmarts, etc, are to the neighborhoods (sigh).

/sarcasm off

Ok, I'm done. That was really a waste of a lot of words wasn't it? Sigh again.

It's okay bayou Girl. I know what do you mean, but we could bash one another all day, everyday. People know who's #1 and who's #3. Houston breaking records in building homes every single month now. H-town is one of the fastest growing cities in the u.s. and Las Vegas, also Phoneix, but where do it say dallas? Nowhere. But then again, we could bash each other all day talking about who's better, and who's not. Everywhere in houston they building, building, and building, but they also tearing down alot of trees here. Before you know it houston is going to be the next concrete city. I'm really surprised that I've heard they going to build a Home Depot in my neighborhhood, right off of the highway 59 and little york, where they tore down acres and acres of trees. But what I'm getting at these big retail stores is now catering to black and mexicans neighborhoods, and thats great, cause I would never thought a home depot will be built in my hood.

Dallas wins one category hands down:

The number of $30K/year millionaires.

So your telling us that Dallas's ego like their (millionaires money) just went higher?

Whooppee there are alot of millionaires in Dallas and this helps the city how again?

If I recall correctly when we had the Superbowl here, where exactly did the celebs want to shop? (they didn't fly to Dallas's Galleria)...I belive the word spread it was the Houston Galleria. :P

Who got a nice little makeover, wasn't Dallas Galleria, was Houston Galleria. You may have that GIANT (whatever it is) out in Grapevine (that I belive just opened)...that mall I think but yet where is the tourism all going? To your lovely little neighbors to the south. We call it "Austin, San Antonio and Houston". Where are the businesses in Dallas going. Ah yes, See above.

Dallas has its fun in the spotlight and well we down here need a little attention too!

You can have your reality TV shows filmed up there. What's reality about them??

take "Barney" back too. He's annoying as some of the people in Dallas!

We had "Mary Lou's flip Flop Shop' and even though the show may have flopped, she was a gymnastic great.

Among the other shows filmed here for Vh1 AKA Paramount while y'all had..Walker Texas Ranger (which has some appreciation and did some filming to your older sister of the south-Houston)

What I love the most about Houston is that it has HISTORY! in the great hurricane of 1900 I heard NOTHING about Dallas helping. It was Houston.

I talked with a family at a movie theatre who moved out of the Metroplex. They moved away because they found there was nothing for the family to do there. The husband of the family moved here because of a better job and more things for the family to attend.

I love living in a "big city" feeling. If I moved to Dallas, I'd migrate somewhere else!

Archived