Example Of Design On Operation The Woodlands

woody_hawkeye

Flintridge in The Woodlands was part of the master plan, designed to move traffic from Gosling to Kuykendahl and give access to many homes. Part of the road was not needed for many years. A stop sign was placed on Rush Haven, even though Flintridge dead ended and there was no traffic coming from the west. All traffic flowed to Rush Haven from Flintridge. Therefore, the county took possession of the traffic design and put it into operation. For many years each automobile was expected to stop at that sign on Rush Haven, even though no traffic flowed past the intersection. Then came the extension, also in the master plan. Flintridge became a through street. On the west side of the extension was the remainder of the road built a couple of years before the extennsion. One street has a three way stop sign with very little traffic. That was turned over to the county in that state as part of the mast plan. Today, it is obvious that the traffic volume at Rush Haven is higher than the other intersections on Fllntridge, yet the county will not place additional stop signs on Flintridge for Rush Haven. All of this is because of the rules the county follows on changing a design. The measured traffic volume for all designed intersections must meet certain state standards before any changes can be made. It is equally difficult to remove stop signs at low volume locations as it is to add signs at the higher traffic volume intersections. Therefore we live with the original design even though the assumptions of traffic volumes were apparently in error. Design means everything! If the intersection met the state traffic volume requirements, they would put up the signs. So with insufficient number of measured automobiles, the county will stick to their decision to not place additional controls on Flintridge traffic. Removing signs is dangerous I suppose, but the exact explanation for the low volume traffic signs has never been brought forward. So today I can travel down Flintridge while autos are waiting for me to pass on Rush Haven while I always stop for non-existant traffic at the other intersections. And as one would expect, the accidents occur at Rush Haven. I hope this explanation makes sense, although I know the real sense of it is questionable.

• The title was changed to Example Of Design On Operation The Woodlands

Archived