RNC/DNC site announcements

DJ V Lawrence

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/politics/4220192.html

I would guess that the convention will either be held in the MetroDome or in Target Center, but the Republican National Convention will be held in the Twin Cities: Minneapolis-St. Paul. Ah, Minnesota: the state that voted Jesse Ventura as govenor just 8 years ago as a statement that they wanted something new, is expected to be a big swing-state in the next election, I'm guessin'. Any major reason why RNC officials would want Minnesota to host, and not another state like Ohio or Florida?

The DNC was also considering the Twin-Cities to host, but the RNC beat 'em to the punch. DNC 2008 will be held either in Denver or New York City. Assuming Hilary Clinton were representing the Democrats (nothing official yet), would the Dems want the Convention to be held in the state she currently represents, or would they want to host on different turf? I'm thinkin' 'bout George H.W. Bush's nomination in hometown Houston in 1992. Was that rare?

Also, didn't NYC just host the RNC in 2002? Doesn't that hurt the DNC if they were to host in the SAME city 4 years later?

Here's a run-down of convention sites and their relevance over the last 4 election cycles:

1992 R Houston: Bush wins the state, loses the general election and the electoral college.

1992 D NYC: Clinton wins the state, the general election and the electoral college.

1996 R San Diego: Dole loses the state, general election and the electoral college.

1996 D Chicago: Clinton wins the state, the general election and the electoral college.

2000 R: Philadelphia: Bush loses the state and the general election but wins the electoral vote.

2000 D: Los Angeles: Gore wins the state, the general election and loses the electoral college.

2004 R: NYC: Bush loses the state but wins the general election and the the electoral vote.

2004 D: Boston: Kerry wins the state but loses the general election and the electoral vote.

So, does it matter where they meet? Not really. I suggest Vegas for both partys as they really don't do anything for 6 days so they may as well pump some cash into the economy.

[after looking over the above figures it just struck me that out of the last 4 general elections, the Republicans have only won one. Now before someone chimes in only to make themself look stupid, we all know that the presidential election is the only one in the U.S. where the popular vote doesn't count. I just thought it was interesting that more voters wanted a Democrat to be President than a Republican]

[after looking over the above figures it just struck me that out of the last 4 general elections, the Republicans have only won one. Now before someone chimes in only to make themself look stupid, we all know that the presidential election is the only one in the U.S. where the popular vote doesn't count. I just thought it was interesting that more voters wanted a Democrat to be President than a Republican]

Now, now, Nmainguy, settle down. Sometimes, you have to prove in the election that you're able to create a national mistrust in order to become president and create mistrust on the level of multiple wars, and Gore never did that, so that's the end of that. Gore never had a chance in 2000. Look at Bill Clinton and JFK. To be a president and a Democratic, you've gotta be able to sign bills and recieve head at the same time; everybody knows that. That's why Hilary has a chance in '08. Sucks getting caught, doesn't it Bill? Literally....

Back to this GOP Convention thing. I read that the Twin-Cities were heavily pursued because both parties want to appeal to the Midwest vote. Why not St. Louis? And isn't Minnisota a traditionally Democratic state? Doesn't it hurt a GOP's chances if they can't win the state they were nominated in? That's almost like losing in your own home state, I'd think.

And with the Dems, I'm guessing that NYC's unlikely (3 RNC/DNC conventions in the same building within 16 years sounds momentum-less.) So that would leave Denver. What's the target in Denver? Is Colorado a swing state? Or would they be going for an outdoors-Great-American feel?

Now, now, Nmainguy, settle down. Sometimes, you have to prove in the election that you're able to create a national mistrust in order to become president and create mistrust on the level of multiple wars, and Gore never did that, so that's the end of that. Gore never had a chance in 2000.

Absolutely!!! What a loser! uhhh...except he won more votes. But that's all OK. I'm just glad you're here to post instead of being one of the over 2600 victims of Junior's loss...I mean...win?

Anyway, I don't think site selection has squat to do with who wins; thus my previous illustration.

Do people actually watch the conventions on T.V.? Is there any major reason to? I've clipped it on everytime the GOP had their speech, but it all looked like a national ass-kissing contest from the outside-looking-in. What else gets done there other than the nominations? Do they brush up on issues, or does everyone act like their on the same page?

Also, I was in elementary school when Houston hosted the RNC in '92. Did anyone on HAIF attend? Also, if you're a traditional voter for the opposite party (for example, a Democrat in Houston '92), do you get any kind of voice in your head saying "well, they hosted here. Maybe just once, I'll vote for the other guy..", or is it a chance to protest? I'm wondering because I don't remember hearing about any protests in Houston '92, yet in '04, Boston and NYC actually had huge protest zones set in place for the excessive amount of left-right wingers...

Now, now, Nmainguy, settle down. Sometimes, you have to prove in the election that you're able to create a national mistrust in order to become president and create mistrust on the level of multiple wars, and Gore never did that, so that's the end of that. Gore never had a chance in 2000. Look at Bill Clinton and JFK. To be a president and a Democratic, you've gotta be able to sign bills and recieve head at the same time; everybody knows that. That's why Hilary has a chance in '08. Sucks getting caught, doesn't it Bill? Literally....

Back to this GOP Convention thing. I read that the Twin-Cities were heavily pursued because both parties want to appeal to the Midwest vote. Why not St. Louis? And isn't Minnisota a traditionally Democratic state? Doesn't it hurt a GOP's chances if they can't win the state they were nominated in? That's almost like losing in your own home state, I'd think.

And with the Dems, I'm guessing that NYC's unlikely (3 RNC/DNC conventions in the same building within 16 years sounds momentum-less.) So that would leave Denver. What's the target in Denver? Is Colorado a swing state? Or would they be going for an outdoors-Great-American feel?

Why Minneapolis? It's one of the seats of financial power in the US though hardly anyone outside the finance industry knows. I have family in the area so I know it pretty well, and they are pretty proud of the number of well-known companies that are headquartered in the area. Not going to list them all out, but some of the biggies are General Mills, Cargill, Wells Fargo, Ameriprise, Target, US Bancorp, UnitedHealthcare, 3m, Best Buy, NW Airlines, etc.

There were plenty of protests in Houston at the RNC. I went with my mothers and two sisters and some girlfriends from Kinkaid to protest with Planned Parenthood. I have some great/humorous photos of some of the pro-choice posters that were around.

ACT-Up was still around back then protesting AIDS funding. In fact, I recall the HPD mounted patrol breaking up an ACT-Up march at night.

That said, the protest zone was quite a distance away from the Astrodome (maybe where the Texans practice field bubble is now located?) and it was the beginning of this whole "planned protest zone" wave that has since caught on. It's time that we protest that protests are now stictly regulated (by time, location, etc...)

There were plenty of protests in Houston at the RNC. I went with my mothers and two sisters and some girlfriends from Kinkaid to protest with Planned Parenthood. I have some great/humorous photos of some of the pro-choice posters that were around.

ACT-Up was still around back then protesting AIDS funding. In fact, I recall the HPD mounted patrol breaking up an ACT-Up march at night.

That said, the protest zone was quite a distance away from the Astrodome (maybe where the Texans practice field bubble is now located?) and it was the beginning of this whole "planned protest zone" wave that has since caught on. It's time that we protest that protests are now stictly regulated (by time, location, etc...)

I'm not sure the protest zone's ever gonna get more leway. Post-9/11 will never allow it. But I don't recall seeing the protests on t.v., which is quite interesting.

What was the biggest protest subject at that time? ACT-Up? Were people just protesting to protest Rerpublicans in general, or was there a particular subject (like the economy, Iraq, etc.) that was a main focus?

Also, who do U guys think will run in '08 for the Dems and Reps? Think it will be Clinton vs. Rice? Think McCain or Kerry might run again?

• 3 months later...

Archived