Didn't really know where to put this, so here ya go:

-TETRA's new building on the feeder road at Rayford/Sawdust appears to have topped out.

-New office building (two or three stories) has now broke ground on the north bound feeder just as you cross Spring Creek, next to that new church.

-US Onochology has topped out.

-Crane is up for the new 20+-story condo going up next to 24 Waterway.

-Flyover from 45 to 242 should be getting ready to start construction soon.

This is just a quick update on some projects. If you have any other updates, feel free to add them.

And with that post, wxman becomes the latest winner in the HAIF Summer Post Card Contest.

Your prize:

gallery_1_86_98861.jpg

PM me your mailing address so I can get your prize out to you.

Also, looks like the garage for Oncology has topped out. And the land just west of it is pretty much all cleared. Looks like something else is goin in soon. I think someone mentioned what it was somewhere, but i can't remember.

southwest corner of six pines and the waterway is the proposed site for the HMNS location. it is directly in front of the riva row townhomes and across the waterway from the pavilion/marriott parking garage.

the new waterway square building is off the ground and they are pouring the foundation for the new parking garage/retail that will be attached to or directly next to the 20 story condo tower.

i noticed that the windows on the second floor retail space of 24 waterway ave are papered over. harvey construction was using the space, but it appears something else may be going on. hubbel & hudson on the street level of the same building is supposed to be finished by the holidays and the four restaurants going in across from goose's acre & americas appear to be almost completely framed. no announcement yet on the tenants.

there is a temporary surface parking lot going in at the north east corner of six pines & lake robbins. this is the lot where they have the ice rink during the holidays.

southwest corner of six pines and the waterway is the proposed site for the HMNS location. it is directly in front of the riva row townhomes and across the waterway from the pavilion/marriott parking garage.

Thank Bachanon,

Are there any details of this development anywhere? Living in one of the townhomes on Riva Row, I am very interested in seeing what is going to be put in place of the trees. We always knew it was planned for development and HMNS would be quite a nice addition. I just wonder about it as an attraction thos - is TW ready for something of this magnitude?

:blink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Don't know if this has been posted yet or not...

http://www.thewoodlands-commercial.com/Waterway_Square.html

Also, notice the three buildings on the bottom left. One is already topped out(forgot what it's called) of course but it shows two other ones.

Oh cool, and I just noticed that it looks like they're gonna add offices around the existing parking garage at the bottom left. Or are they already there?

Edited by lockmat

• 5 months later...

Here are some pics from last month....

This is the rendering on the site of the new developement in The Woodlands. All the towers are currently u/c.

3130572145_b82d7b822d_o.jpg

Construction

3131403692_e2d337d144_b.jpg

3130572361_9c1945ef5e_o.jpg

3130571571_c91042820e_o.jpg

(Pics from Photolitherland on SSP)

There's also a webcam for 4 Waterway Square...

http://cameras.harveybuilders.com/projects...oject_live.html

Edited by UpuPUp!

This is the rendering on the site of the new developement in The Woodlands. All the towers are currently u/c.

3130572145_b82d7b822d_o.jpg

The building on the extreme left is complete while the small, descending retail building in front of it and the building on the extreme right side are being finished up. Neither the condo tower or hotel (taller and shorter structures respectively) are under construction at the moment, though a garage is.

Edited by ChannelTwoNews

The building on the extreme left is complete while the small, descending retail building in front of it and the building on the extreme right side are being finished up. Neither the condo tower or hotel (taller and shorter structures respectively) are under construction at the moment, though a garage is.

The shorter wide one (to the right of the tall skinny condo tower) is under construction; at least the building that's going up looks just like it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank Bachanon,

Are there any details of this development anywhere? Living in one of the townhomes on Riva Row, I am very interested in seeing what is going to be put in place of the trees. We always knew it was planned for development and HMNS would be quite a nice addition. I just wonder about it as an attraction thos - is TW ready for something of this magnitude?

:blink:

correction..............the museum site is planned for the northwest corner of six pines and the waterway next to the parking garage.

correction..............the museum site is planned for the northwest corner of six pines and the waterway next to the parking garage.

Is the museum still a go? I haven't heard a word about it. Will the condo tower likely be the last 20 something story building built in The Woodlands? Just curious. I often wonder if any more like it will pop up over the next few years.

• 4 weeks later...
Is the museum still a go? I haven't heard a word about it. Will the condo tower likely be the last 20 something story building built in The Woodlands? Just curious. I often wonder if any more like it will pop up over the next few years.

Anybody?

unfortunately, the woodlands will continue to morph directed by market forces. there is so much money to be had. higher buildings are sure to follow. not this year or next. i think the woodlands has created a monster that will not succumb to taste or smart growth. my dear sweet woodlands is becoming the home of ignorant beauty and shallow "i'm importantness". i'm increasingly wanting the inner loop.

thank goodness the "town center effect" continues to increase my home value. i will sell this bi*** and join the rest of you.

unfortunately, the woodlands will continue to morph directed by market forces. there is so much money to be had. higher buildings are sure to follow. not this year or next. i think the woodlands has created a monster that will not succumb to taste or smart growth. my dear sweet woodlands is becoming the home of ignorant beauty and shallow "i'm importantness". i'm increasingly wanting the inner loop.

lots of that inner loop too!

• 4 weeks later...

thank goodness the "town center effect" continues to increase my home value. i will sell this bi*** and join the rest of you.

What do you mean by ignorant beauty and "shallow i'm importantness"? A couple years ago you were always talking about how you loved living in the Woodlands. I was really wanting to move there back in 2006, and I still like the Woodlands a lot, but I just don't really have a plan for living there as far as job or whether to buy a property or just rent. The inner loop is more my speed at this point, since I'm a single 28 year old guy, and I want to be where all the single young women are. :)

What do you mean by ignorant beauty and "shallow i'm importantness"? A couple years ago you were always talking about how you loved living in the Woodlands. I was really wanting to move there back in 2006, and I still like the Woodlands a lot, but I just don't really have a plan for living there as far as job or whether to buy a property or just rent. The inner loop is more my speed at this point, since I'm a single 28 year old guy, and I want to be where all the single young women are. :)

'

i do love the woodlands. i will always admire the woodlands mostly because of how it originated and the intent behind its creation.

by "ignorant beauty and 'shallow i'm importantness'", i'm thinking of vacant trophy wives, snooty teenagers and young professionals who act is if they've arrived simply because they live here. yes, these kind of folks are everywhere, but there is a growing concentration in my neck of the woods. i've been in the woodlands proper for 7 years and in the area most of my life. socially and culturally, at 43, i may have reached the limits of what the woodlands has to offer for me personally.

the day i posted the above statement, i had spent the day in houston walking from event to event and taking the light rail to different cultural attractions. the variety of people and things to do had my head spinning. the lack of pretense in the general public while wondering around houston was in stark contrast to some people i encounter doing things around the woodlands. if you aren't raising kids and love culture, the loop is the place to be. the woodlands fascinates me, but once the kid graduates in june, i just might relocate.

all in all, it's fascinating to watch the woodlands reach critical mass. very exciting.

• 2 weeks later...
So what can be expected of The Woodlands by say 2050. Most of what makes up The Woodlands today will be old by then. Is The Woodlands destined to become an old outdated suburb that will be considered "the has been?"

i doubt it.

the woodlands, from its inception, has been focused on the future. the associations, the educational community, arts community, religious and business communities all work together for local enrichment. there is much more here than strict covenants and pta groups. the woodlands has yet to reach true "critical mass". the determination to have only mixed use buildings for all future town center development, if kept in place, will be a deciding factor in the future and look of the woodlands and the area. areas like shenandoah and oak ridge north will continue to be transformed by their proximity to the woodlands.

if a developer can amass a substantial amount of acreage for a new master-planned community further outside the existing bounds of houston sprawl, they would have to improve on the successes and avoid some of the pitfalls that have occurred with the woodlands. and, try finding substantial acreage this close to an international airport and this close to the culture and benefits of "inside the loop".

remember, grogan's mill was the first village created in 1973. thirty six years later, grogan's mill is beginning to experience a transformation because of its proximity to town center and major arteries, and relatively cheap home stock. the larger homes built in the 70's are being renovated and updated. some homes have been torn down or completely gutted and remodeled.

the woodlands will continue to morph. outside a major depression, natural disaster, war or drastic change in the makeup of the world, i don't see it being a "has been".

Wow, if bachanon is giving up on The Woodlands, it must have become even worse since I left 2 years ago. George Mitchell, please rescue the "true" Woodlanders from General Growth greed!!

BTW, this water taxi thing in a way epitomizes the wrong turn taken by TW. According to today's Chronicle, they are now seeking federal funding to keep that thing going. IMHO , the water taxis are a joke and always wil be. You'll never get throngs of tourists paying big bucks to coast along a suburban mall drainage ditch. Ludicrous.

BTW, this water taxi thing in a way epitomizes the wrong turn taken by TW. According to today's Chronicle, they are now seeking federal funding to keep that thing going. IMHO , the water taxis are a joke and always wil be. You'll never get throngs of tourists paying big bucks to coast along a suburban mall drainage ditch. Ludicrous.

I think the Woodlands is the best! What other Houston suburb has a downtown like the Woodlands? I agree that it doesn't get enough tourist for the water taxi's. I think they can increase tourist by adding attractions such as museums, and maybe even a Kemah Board Walk type development near the riverwalk or a theme park.

I think the Woodlands is the best! What other Houston suburb has a downtown like the Woodlands? I agree that it doesn't get enough tourist for the water taxi's. I think they can increase tourist by adding attractions such as museums, and maybe even a Kemah Board Walk type development near the riverwalk or a theme park.

Humble, Conroe, Tomball, Magnolia, Katy, Sugarland, Richmond, Pearland, Alvin, Pasadena....oh, and KEMAH.

Just to name a few.

Humble, Conroe, Tomball, Magnolia, Katy, Sugarland, Richmond, Pearland, Alvin, Pasadena....oh, and KEMAH.

Just to name a few.

right, apples & oranges.

and, the woodlands is not losing me. i love the woodlands. but.........culturally, there is more for an active, single person in the city.

Just to name a few.

But unlike the others, the Woodlands seems to have it all (more complete), unlike the others. The riverwalk, the up and coming skyline, etc. The market square area is not the only part that is called downtown.

In other words, if the Woodlands needed to survive on its own without Houston, it most likely could.

But unlike the others, the Woodlands seems to have it all (more complete), unlike the others. The riverwalk, the up and coming skyline, etc. The market square area is not the only part that is called downtown.

In other words, if the Woodlands needed to survive on its own without Houston, it most likely could.

uhh not.

although over 30% of the woodlands population works in the woodlands, the majority of the remaining workers have jobs in the greater houston area. the woodlands shares a symbiotic relationship with houston as do all the other suburbs/exurbs.

unlike other suburbs, the woodlands has a respectable list of national and international headquarters right in town center and the research forest.

Anadarko Petroleum Corporation

Baker Hughes

Chevron Phillips Chemical Co., LLP

CB&I

FOX Networks Group

Grant Prideco

Halliburton

Hewitt Associates

Huntsman Chemical Co.

Jones Walker

Lexicon Genetics

Maersk Sealand

Rigaku Corp.

US Oncology

Winstead

there are over one hundred other major corporations represented in the woodlands proper.

it's funny when redscare compares the woodlands to humble and alvin. lol