i do not have any recent photos. i will be keeping my camera with me this next week and intend to get more current pictures.

i read that eddie bauer is opening a 5000 square foot location in market street. it is the plot across from where the hotel is going (across from starbucks and jamba juice) and is under construction. also, gap's "forth and towne" is closing. it opened in november. gap says that it had timing problems rolling out the new concept. market street is negotiating for another gap concept in its place.

link to story

It seems to me that Market Street has to be a high end place to shop. One boutique I know is quite successful selling fashion jeans and other specialties at high prices. I see a number of shops I believe will not make it. The secret to success has to be moderate volumes of high cost items in order to pay the rent. In my business, I cannot imagine putting in a store that would require raising the cost of our services 6-10 times to pay the rent. It would be an interesting exercise to forecast the success or failure of the existing stores there, based on perceived business models.

• 1 month later...

"Expensive" seems to be the word that most of the new urban fans forget. Look at Midtown, look at the Woodlands Town Center, and the common factor you see are some of the highest rents in the area. Thus the retailers who are attracted are those who can generate the revenue to pay the rent. You won't find funky little boutiques or small, quaint restaurants.

Instead we have a mix of upscale stores, upscale restaurants, and a theater. Not a bad thing, but it does tend to bypass George Mitchell's vision of The Woodlands as being a place for those at all income levels. Fortunately the Woodlands isn't all a new urban fantasy world.

The Woodlands is a very successful hybrid. You have real neighborhoods where people know each other, and have yards for their kids to enjoy, and room to park their cars, and houses that range from affordable to extravagant. You have parks and nature trails. You have a lovely faux downtown, albeit an expensive one.

But does this ever happen with New Urbanism? Has anyone looked at home prices in Seaside, Florida lately? Two million dollar townhomes. Cheap housing is a one bedroom cottage... for 1.4 million. Other listings: 1,500 square feet for 2.3 million. In a small town out in the middle of nowhere, Florida.

yes, the mall is considered town center.

at a recent commercial/economic outlook conference, a member of the TCID board of directors noted that the issue of growth wasn't the problem. she said the not so subtle message was to be ready for rapid growth. i had a link to reference, but it is no longer available on chron.com.

there is a new parking garage going in at 24 waterway avenue, a new temporary surface parking lot on waterway avenue across from the brownstones, and the parking garage at tinseltown was built to hold more levels of parking which are to be added at some point.

i haven't had a problem parking. if you are going to the mall; however, avoid the main entrances. park upstairs at macy's or at dillard's. if you want to go to cheesecake factory or barnes & noble, park in the tinseltown parking garage and walk over. it takes less time to walk than to circle for parking. the same goes for market street. avoid the popular parking areas.

also, whatever entity that installs traffic signals were supposed to have installations along grogan's mill at timberloch, lake robbins and lake front circle by now. an article i read last year, stated that lights would be going in by spring of 2007. all i've seen installed are larger traffic signal poles at intersections with existing signals and red light cameras.

traffic signals throughout town center are to be timed at some point. i believe the existing signals already have sensors that change the patterns of light changes with traffic conditions.

i have yet to spot a trolley. this too is supposed to increase parking options and decrease town center to town center traffic.

Edited by bachanon

yes, the mall is considered town center.

i haven't had a problem parking. if you are going to the mall; however, avoid the main entrances. park upstairs at macy's or at dillard's. if you want to go to cheesecake factory or barnes & noble, park in the tinseltown parking garage and walk over. it takes less time to walk than to circle for parking. the same goes for market street. avoid the popular parking areas.

I try to avoid the mall --any mall actually ... they just are not my favorite places. Anyhow, that said, the Market Street is a different beast. I really like Chipotle Burritos and often when I am at our District office on Research Forest Drive, I will stop in for lunch before heading south to 1960. It is unfortunate that attempting to park, run in and eat, and leave is a beast.

I tend to skip it because there is usually no really close parking to the restaurant.

I try to avoid the mall --any mall actually ... they just are not my favorite places. Anyhow, that said, the Market Street is a different beast. I really like Chipotle Burritos and often when I am at our District office on Research Forest Drive, I will stop in for lunch before heading south to 1960. It is unfortunate that attempting to park, run in and eat, and leave is a beast.

I tend to skip it because there is usually no really close parking to the restaurant.

i eat at chipotle on occasion. however, i usually eat there after 6 or 7pm. i always park right near the front door. weekday lunches, just about anywhere in town center, is a beast. i try to have lunch by 11:30am or after 1pm.

They surely don't promote community as much as we'd like to think they do

Where the heck do you get off thinking that TW is setup as anti-social? Our neighborhood on Wynnoak was overly social to a fault. Whenever my wife and I were working in the front yard inevitably five or six neighbors would come over to converse. Others would bring their dogs to play with our dog. Their kids would be playing football, baseball or soccer in the street. Before you knew it there were 10-15 people milling around our driveway and we could never get anything done.

Maybe the exception is the megabuck gated areas, but that is only a small fraction of the neighborhoods in TW. Actually I can only think of three gated neighborhoods here. Why does everyone assume/accuse that every neighborhood is megabuck?

I think TW has done a great job of developing the COMMUNAL bike paths, the COMMUNAL parks, and the COMMUNAL areas of Town Center. Plus every village has their own little COMMUNAL shopping center where you run into your local neighbors. How is this not promoting community?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Looking forward to more leisure choices in The Town Center - this really is a fine example of town planning, I just hope the upkeep over the next few years matches that. Some more imagination in building design would also add to the area appeal. This main building and from what I have seen of the others does nothing for me to say "Wow".

I was dissapointed to see that there will be a road along the front of the main WW Plaza building - I thought the idea was for this area to be a pedestrian area.

Waterway Taxi

Contact Information:

Texas Water Taxi

1990 Riva Row

The Woodlands TX 77380

Phone: 281-367-1151

Six Waterway Cruisers travel along the Woodlands Waterway providing the perfect way to explore all the amenities the Waterway has to offer. Along both sides of the corridor are businesses, restaurants, office buildings, hotels and urban residential. The east end of the corridor is anchored by the Woodlands Mall and the west end is anchored by the Marriott Hotel and Convention center and the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion.

You can board at the designated stops every 45 to 60 minutes. A general public day pass with unlimited rides on the cruisers and trolleys is $4.00. Tickets can be purchased when you board the cruiser, and must be paid with cash. Youth, seniors and the disabled pay half fare. For information call 281-367-1151. The waterway cruisers and trolleys are wheelchair accessible.

Hours of Operation

Monday thru Thursday - 11:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m.

Friday & Saturday - 11:00 a.m. until 11:00 p.m.

Sunday - 11:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m.

link

• 3 months later...

A couple stories:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/woo...ws/5354779.html

Waterway Square, an urban centerpiece for The Woodlands Waterway.

The urban park will feature three levels, including a large fountain capable of shooting 90 feet in the air, a 120 foot long wall of water, an artistic pop-up fountain for children and shaded grassy seating areas.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/woo...ws/5354954.html

A consultant has found that a satellite facility for the Houston Museum of Natural Science is economically viable in The Woodlands.

A substantial museum would be viable here," Richmond said. "A recent study by the city of Houston shows the economic benefits of cultural arts, both in direct benefits and the intangibles. Houston almost didn't get the Shell Oil Co. because there was not enough cultural arts (at the time). For a corporation, they look to cultural arts as part of their decision. People are coming to museums in cities as a major drawing point too."

There is a museum in TW Mall.

It's the HMNS Satellite facility that they're talking about expanding in the article. The setup in the mall is a wonderful start, but more like a "teaser". I've been pleasantly surprised with what they've done with the space and look forward to forward to hearing more about how they'll build on that success.

• 5 months later...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/woo...ws/5816698.html

As the Riva Row Boathouse nears completion on The Woodlands Waterway, the parks and recreation department has come up with its recommendation on operating a boat rental facility there.

"We really feel it is going to be a real positive effect for the community," said Chris Nunes, director of parks and recreation, citing use by not only local residents but tourists as well.

Under the proposal, the facility would be open five days a week in the winter and six days a week in the summer. In addition to rentals, the site could be used for paddlesport education programs during the slower months, Nunes said. Among these could be introduction to canoeing, introduction to kayaking and fitness programs using canoes.

Houstonmacbro "I tend to skip it because there is usually no really close parking to the restaurant. "

This says to me that you are not in TW target market - the place is being set up to be pedestian friendly - that means you may actually have to....WALK!!! I know this is an obscure concept to you so perhaps you should stick to souless drive-thru..

Houstonmacbro "I tend to skip it because there is usually no really close parking to the restaurant. "

This says to me that you are not in TW target market - the place is being set up to be pedestian friendly - that means you may actually have to....WALK!!! I know this is an obscure concept to you so perhaps you should stick to souless drive-thru..

Yeah, leave The Woodlands for people who crave soul in all that they consume.

• 2 weeks later...

looks like a crane is going up at the condo tower/parking garage-retail site. anyone know anything of the restaurants going in at 20 waterway? hubbel & huddleston (i think it's called) is said to be open in october on the ground floor of 24 waterway.

lunched at americas a couple times this month. really good food and the decor is amazing.

also, the parking garage for us oncology appears to be huge. i wonder if it is to support two more buildings. a construction guy from harvey said another building is already in the works near to or next to us oncology.

Where the heck do you get off thinking that TW is setup as anti-social? Our neighborhood on Wynnoak was overly social to a fault. Whenever my wife and I were working in the front yard inevitably five or six neighbors would come over to converse. Others would bring their dogs to play with our dog. Their kids would be playing football, baseball or soccer in the street. Before you knew it there were 10-15 people milling around our driveway and we could never get anything done.

Maybe the exception is the megabuck gated areas, but that is only a small fraction of the neighborhoods in TW. Actually I can only think of three gated neighborhoods here. Why does everyone assume/accuse that every neighborhood is megabuck?

I think TW has done a great job of developing the COMMUNAL bike paths, the COMMUNAL parks, and the COMMUNAL areas of Town Center. Plus every village has their own little COMMUNAL shopping center where you run into your local neighbors. How is this not promoting community?

I think most of these criticisms come from urbanites who object to the Woodlands on principle. When we're out in the neighborhood in the evening, we invariably run into neighbors, and end up talking for an hour or two.

I think most of these criticisms come from urbanites who object to the Woodlands on principle. When we're out in the neighborhood in the evening, we invariably run into neighbors, and end up talking for an hour or two.

I like the lttle ad hoc street social events. Sometimes on a cul de sac, sometimes at a home in the backyard, sometimes in the driveway. Just pull out the BB pit and tell folks to bring something.

Didn't really know where to put this, so here ya go:

-TETRA's new building on the feeder road at Rayford/Sawdust appears to have topped out.

-New office building (two or three stories) has now broke ground on the north bound feeder just as you cross Spring Creek, next to that new church.

-US Onochology has topped out.

-Crane is up for the new 20+-story condo going up next to 24 Waterway.

-Flyover from 45 to 242 should be getting ready to start construction soon.

This is just a quick update on some projects. If you have any other updates, feel free to add them.