Plus, I hear there no "posers", or "riff-raff" or "annoying loiterers who stare at their cell phones in public" anywhere in San Marcos. :P

I think it is just a novelty for teenagers to be seen with cell phones in use.

They think they are cool and like adults.

You can't avoid it.

Edited by Pumapayam

You know, Pure, I really think you might be happier if you moved to San Marcos, because I can foresee Fleming's biting the dust before the Woodlands Mall ever does.

Plus, I hear there no "posers", or "riff-raff" or "annoying loiterers who stare at their cell phones in public" anywhere in San Marcos. :P

I think I finally figured out what my intangible ideal of the Woodlands was when making this post. I wanted it to be a combination of my two favorite cities: San Marcos, TX and San Diego, CA, which is probably why I was excited to see the Fleming's since I ate there in S.D. and loved it. I want the bohemian/locally owned business part of San Marcos with the more upscale and polished look of San Diego.

It's funny because I actually used to like the mall, but I guess tastes change.

PA, you do know that The Woodlands consists mainly of a large middle class and upper middle class population. They far out number the upper class...and the crazy,insane wealth of the inner loop, or near inner loop, is only here in a handful. 90% of the population is comfortable this is true, but most of them can't pop over to Amerigos or Flemings to do lunch with the gals every week.

PS-You like Bohemian? Well, upper crusters aren't known for being very bohemian........Upper middle isn't really know for it either......except maybe their teenage kids ;)

Edited by KatieDidIt

Well, yeah, I like bohemian mixed with a little bit of fanciness. Basically, I like a laid back community with a little imagination in their commercial development and lots of great locally owned places to visit.

I was very surprised they built Fleming's in the Woodlands, and I'm wondering if they just decided to give it a shot based on intuition or if there was really a demand for it. Either way, that restaurant is in stark contrast to the food you eat at the Woodlands Mall. They have excellent food, and it's totally a San Diego-style restaurant.

I'm actually kind of conservative, but I find places like San Marcos appealing. I guess the Woodlands will be what it is. It certainly needs more locally owned places, and I think that could be possible if the town incorporates, and if they redevelop the mall. They could start small, by opening just one locally owned shop at Market Street and see if it has a domino effect.

But like you said, KatieDidIt, a lot of the Woodlands residents are more the suburban type that like Pier 1 Imports and Toys R Us and Sharper Image, so any change of scenery in Market Street won't come easy.

Sorry to be so Woodlands, but the mall is used regularly by regular Woodlands inhabitants for regular Woodands shopping. Some people come here to avoid a 1 percent sales tax. Yes, we go to the Houston malls, but very infrequently, only to get out to a different place. Market street? A nice place to also get out to some place different, but definately not the main course. It is more borng than the mall.

• 1 month later...

latest news. story includes details on 24 waterway avenue and other buildings around waterway square

Nov. 8, 2006, 5:37PM

Development continues along Woodlands Waterway

Local leaders unveil Waterway mosaic; want area to become regional attraction

By LAURA ISENSEE

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

WORK AT WATERWAY

Thirty-plus years ago, some scribbling on a napkin outlined an area called Town Square in The Woodlands.

Now, work on and around Waterway Square is shaping up to make that Town Square a primary destination, officials in The Woodlands say.

The Woodlands Development Co. and the Town Center Improvement District recently presented the latest plans for Waterway Square, a nearly one-acre public park with 120-foot long waterwall, and 24 Waterway, a 308,000 square-foot mixed use building.

"With the latest in planning and development and the latest in construction techniques, we're developing a state of the art place to live, work, play and learn. An old cliche, but it's taken on a new meaning with what we've created here today," said Tim Welbes, co-president of The Woodlands Development Co.

As Welbes spoke before a host of community and political leaders, including Republican Texas Sen. John Cornyn, construction workers paced the Waterway Square development site to the northeast of The Woodlands Waterway and the bridge.

Developers also unveiled "At the Water's Edge," a collection of nine glass mosaic panels underneath the Waterway Avenue Bridge by acclaimed Texas artist Dixie Friend Gay.

The nine panels, created with 500,000 pieces of glass, feature plants and animals native to southeast Texas like spoonbills and herons. Many of its iridescent and 24 karat gold tiles reflect the water, tying the public art into the natural environment.

full story

• 1 month later...

update

TCID board receives update on Waterway Square developments

By: DEBORAH ROWE, Villager staff

12/14/2006

The area around The Woodlands Waterway continues to flourish.

The Town Center Improvement District Board of Directors received a presentation from Director Alex Sutton on the recent developments on Waterway Square at a recent board meeting.

An Asian Garden is being constructed on the Waterway itself on islands, Sutton said.

"We are installing bridges right now to connect those islands in the south side pathway," he said. "It is a contemplative area opposed to the business of the Waterway. There will be many different types of flowers, Asian inspired, but they have to be able to grow in our climate."

21 Waterway Avenue is completely built, Sutton said.

"We are finishing with tenant improvements," he said. "The Irish pub Goose's Acre is just about finished. The restaurant Churrascos just signed a lease and is beginning its tenant improvements."

25 Waterway Avenue is moving along as well, Sutton said.

"(221B Baker St. Pub and Grill) is doing its tenant improvements right now. I don't have anything else I can report on the rest of the space just yet, but I will pretty soon," he said.

24 Waterway Avenue, a 13-story building, is now under construction.

"Again, I don't have any announcements on who is going in the building, but we are very optimistic about it," he said.

The Waterway fountain is under construction right now, Sutton said, with the estimated completion date around December of next year.

The board approved a service contract with Wave Media for installation of a surveillance system along the Waterway.

full story

Edited by bachanon

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the whole area is nice around the mall, but it just seems like a psuedo attempt to make it more urban or something. It's like Disney World. People go there because it's pretty and all and then leave to go back to their secluded anti-social houses. It's fantasy in a way. I don't know what they plan to do with that small plot of land right next to the Market Street movie theater and parking garage, but a residential tower, however big would be a good idea i think. HEB is right there for them.

People go there because it's pretty and all and then leave to go back to their secluded anti-social houses. It's fantasy in a way.

I agree that it is just an attempt at the simulation of urbanity. On the other hand, I suppose, if it is truely pretty, then that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but would you mind explaining how houses are anti-social? I'd think that the description might better fit the person who designed, built, or bought them, if it is an accurate description at all.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but would you mind explaining how houses are anti-social? I'd think that the description might better fit the person who designed, built, or bought them, if it is an accurate description at all.

I guess I meant that houses tend to promote it. They surely don't promote community as much as we'd like to think they do.

And yeah, you're right. Pretty is a good thing regardless. I mean, you've gotta work with what you got, so I'm not totally putting it down. I like going there.

Edited by lockmat

Nice summary of things to come. I am personally looking forward to the Asian Gardens. There are also bars coming in Town Square. They will "adulterize" the amenities as a whole, but actually put more night life into the area, which is a good thing, if the drivers here will clean up their act. I think they are on tap for late 2007. Sort of a local Main Street concept. I do not recall when we can expect the new fine arts facilities to be built.

Edited by woody_hawkeye

I guess I meant that houses tend to promote it. They surely don't promote community as much as we'd like to think they do.

I suppose apartments are better at promoting community? I know that there are going to be a lot of folks on this board, particularly in northwest Harris County and The Woodlands, that'd completely disagree with you.

I live in a large Inner Loop condominium complex and only know a handfull of my neighbors by name. I've never even seen the guy that lives in the unit above me, even though he's been there for many months now. In fact, in the five years that I've lived there, I've never had a conversation with a neighbor that has lasted longer than perhaps fifteen minutes. At condo association meetings, attendence is often sparse. Aside from the officers, the only folks that seem to show up are the ones that have unresolved complaints about the management company.

At the home that I'm slowly rehabbing in Eastwood, where the predominant residential structure is the single-family home, on the other hand, I was approached on the street yesterday for a pen so that a father could write down his daughter's phone number for a nice young man that he'd met. Several weeks ago, I was approached by a neighbor out for a jog that greeted me, welcomed me into the neighborhood, and even offered her personal assistance with some repairs! The next-door neighbor, also a single-family home owner, has a constant stream of family members coming in and out of his house...he's also incredibly personable. He's helped me out on several occaisions, and we've even had full-fledged conversations if you can believe it...turns out that between us, we've met the son, grandson, and the great-grandchildren of the man that built the house that I own. The civic association also has people that (although sometimes annoyingly provincial) genuinely care about the welfare of the neighborhood.

So here's the kicker...which neighborhood do you think that I'd prefer to live in? Eastwood or a TMC-area condo? Believe it or not, I'd rather be just another anonymous resident of the TMC area...at least until I can save up enough to afford to build a sleek masterpeice of a home, and then hell if it'll fit into anything around it. Just a personality trait, really. INTJ

I've got lots of other experiences that have been conveyed to me by friends and family, and the only conclusion that I can pull from them is that the human element consistently trumps the design of the neighborhood.

(Warning: the following post contains some elements of satire.)

Several weeks ago, I was approached by a neighbor out for a jog that greeted me, welcomed me into the neighborhood, and even offered her personal assistance with some repairs!

That was a hooker.

The next-door neighbor, also a single-family home owner, has a constant stream of family members coming in and out of his house...he's also incredibly personable.

That's a crack house.

(Warning: the preceding post contained some elements of satire.)

Just kidding. :)

Seriously, you make a good point about urban areas being much more anonymous. As for whether The Woodlands Town Center is "true urban" or "pseudo-urban", I just have to laugh at that question - "true urban" would involve hookers and crack houses. This is "new urban", from the new urbanist movement. It may seem fake now, but it probably won't after a few years.

Happy New Year everyone!

Touche Niche.

I think it's really cool how they keep adding. How much of it was actually planned before all this stuff was built? Or do they just have short term plans every so often?

Anyone know?

There is a master plan which designates where the properties are, the classification of each, how the overall community interconnects and the vision of the community from the perspective of visitors. Details are dependent on who purchases the properties and what specific purpose. For example, the walkways may be customized for the business. Any development on any given property is limited by development covenants. Soi the answer is short term for specific projects but long term for the way the property will be used and how it fits into the community. Hope this helps a little.

Yeah, the whole area is nice around the mall, but it just seems like a psuedo attempt to make it more urban or something. It's like Disney World. People go there because it's pretty and all and then leave to go back to their secluded anti-social houses. It's fantasy in a way. I don't know what they plan to do with that small plot of land right next to the Market Street movie theater and parking garage, but a residential tower, however big would be a good idea i think. HEB is right there for them.

there is a plot within market street, near HEB, that a boutique hotel is being discussed. not sure if this is the same location you're mentioning.

there is a plot within market street, near HEB, that a boutique hotel is being discussed. not sure if this is the same location you're mentioning.

Probably. I don't know of any other empty plots. It's right across the street from Jamba Juice and the Parking garage. I think right now there is a small fountain on the corner of it that almost looks like a putting green or something too.

Edited by lockmat

Probably. I don't know of any other empty plots. It's right across the street from Jamba Juice and the Parking garage. I think right now there is a small fountain on the corner of it that almost looks like a putting green or something too.

that's the one.

• 2 months later...

the woodlands villager annual "outlook" insert (feb 22nd) reported that the 70 room boutique hotel with retail (at market street) could break ground the third or fourth quarter of this year. also, the empty plot across the street from the hotel on the south side commons will begin construction in "february". i haven't been over there in a week or two, so i can't say if construction has begun. good news none the less.

the woodlands villager annual "outlook" insert (feb 22nd) reported that the 70 room boutique hotel with retail (at market street) could break ground the third or fourth quarter of this year. also, the empty plot across the street from the hotel on the south side commons will begin construction in "february". i haven't been over there in a week or two, so i can't say if construction has begun. good news none the less.

Have you seen the roofs of the condos? They are sooo ugly with reflective roofs. My understanding is that the roof's color was shown to the committee and approved but they had no idea that it was a reflective material. Vision has a big gap in more ways than one.

Have you seen the roofs of the condos? They are sooo ugly with reflective roofs. My understanding is that the roof's color was shown to the committee and approved but they had no idea that it was a reflective material. Vision has a big gap in more ways than one.

those metal roofs are very well made, they will oxidize with age and will last a lifetime. they are a high end look. i'm disappointed at all of the hoopla from villagers who aren't up on really great materials. if they are not reflecting in the eyes of passers by on woodlands parkway or blinding homes on the west shore, i think they are great.

don't get me wrong, i'm all about the "vision" thing, but c'mon. east shore is not full of forested areas, it is to be a more formal setting; giving a nod to east coast waterfront, southern colonial, georgian, mediterranean and federal styles.

the roofs will be a dull gray in time and will not be so "shiny".

those metal roofs are very well made, they will oxidize with age and will last a lifetime. they are a high end look. i'm disappointed at all of the hoopla from villagers who aren't up on really great materials. if they are not reflecting in the eyes of passers by on woodlands parkway or blinding homes on the west shore, i think they are great.

don't get me wrong, i'm all about the "vision" thing, but c'mon. east shore is not full of forested areas, it is to be a more formal setting; giving a nod to east coast waterfront, southern colonial, georgian, mediterranean and federal styles.

the roofs will be a dull gray in time and will not be so "shiny".

I get upset each time I go by them. You have started my motor. After passing by the area for 8 years, I am very disappointed in the outcome. HIgh end maybe for the northeast and even Houston downtown, but this place is different and has been gradually and consistently architectually misguided by the yankee influence and the "wildness" of this development company. Just think, this was a place where the eagles nested and cared for their young on the grass next to the lake! Now there is a risk to anything that flies low. The development company wants to build higher rise parking garages, even in the villages. That is not acceptable. We see the area decaying in quality rather than improving. Quality materials is a perspective within. The shiney roofs just do not fit The Woodlands. Like putting together red and green exterior paint to blend with the green trees. And a competent professional designer did that? I wonder where that person came from, New York City? If the place was set in the forest away from the entrance to the community, I would be more complacent, but where it is makes it an eyesore.

i too am disappointed at the continued distance from the original vision (which i've admired since i was eleven) we find ourselves. however, i can't help but understand that successful market forces were the promise that the original vision required to get off the ground. the woodlands has become "greater" than itself. i do not mean better. perhaps, "bigger" than itself would have been more appropriate.

it seems as though creekside will be more in tune with the original vision than sterling ridge has been. TCID is its own monster and will ultimately overtake us all. (see governance articles.)

change isn't fun but it is inevitable. i happen to REALLY like steel and aluminum roofing products, although my adoration for a great product does not overshadow my appreciation for what should have been a "hidden city".

i feel ya.

i do not have any recent photos. i will be keeping my camera with me this next week and intend to get more current pictures.

i read that eddie bauer is opening a 5000 square foot location in market street. it is the plot across from where the hotel is going (across from starbucks and jamba juice) and is under construction. also, gap's "forth and towne" is closing. it opened in november. gap says that it had timing problems rolling out the new concept. market street is negotiating for another gap concept in its place.

link to story