the woodlands mall is quite successful. there are new stores on the horizon and others expanding. so far, much of the new businesses i've read about that are going in near or on the waterway will be entertainment oriented (restaurants, bars, etc.) and will not compete directly with stores in the mall or at market street.

it will be interesting to see if the mall parking lots on the waterway side become more high-density, mixed use developments (like the new lifestyle mall extension). there is now an empty mervyn's on this side as well as a mall entrance that was originally intended for another anchor store.

I'm not saying they should begin immediate transformation of the mall, but looking further ahead in time, I don't think it will be able to hold up the land value if the Woodlands becomes urbanized, and that area is prime real estate. You could easily fit a downtown the size of Portland Oregon's in that area where the mall is.

One thing they could do more immediately, which would be a compromise for those concerned about aesthetics, would be to leave the mall intact, but reduce the size of the parking lot that faces the new development. They could cut it in half even. It may be an inconvenience to some, but it sends a good messsage to move away from use of cars.

that's the first i've heard of steve and barry's. there are announcements pending for the retail at 21 waterway avenue and 25 waterway avenue. there is also space still available at market street.

town center is bordered by woodlands parkway on the south, lake front circle on the north (i think), i-45 on the east and grogan's mill on the west. market street, the waterway, the marriott & convention center, the mall, pinecroft center are all within the confines of "town center".

town center map

Edited by bachanon

the lot has been cleared for the taco milagro location at six pines and lake robbins. i hate seeing those pine trees gone, but i'm looking forward to the new restaurant and increased pedestrian activity.

Edited by bachanon

• 3 months later...

May 30, 2006, 11:43AM

Town Center maps plan for future goals

Business district in The Woodlands creates wish list

By BETH KUHLES

Chronicle Correspondent

Since 1999, The Town Center Improvement District has accomplished most of its long-term goals, so it decided to add a few new ones.

The district recently revised its plans for the future in its 2010 visioning document.

full story

ok, on the agenda...........convention and visitor's bureau, new funding, more entertainment venues, but, aerial trams? come on. :wacko:

Oh, like those new things they have at the Intercontinental Airport terminals. They're pretty cool for an airport. I don't know about the Woodlands though.

You really don't need something like that, I don't think. Once you're in the Town Center, it should be easy for any healthy person to walk all around. The only thing you need is water taxis, as mainly a touristy thing and to make the town center more lively, and then the trolleys, which I assume are being used to move people around the town center once they've already driven there, right?

i don't think town center would be a great place for any sort of aerial tram.

Agreed Bach. Town Center/Market Street is only a few city blocks. If you can't walk that, then you are just lazy.

Miami has the Monorail, and it took 15 years for anyone to ride it. Its more of a 100 million dollar novelty.

• 1 month later...

here's a couple more.

anadarkotower1.jpg

anadarko tower 1

waterway1.jpg

waterway view 1

waterway2.jpg

waterway view 2

waterwayavenue1.jpg

waterway avenue. buildings left to right: 21 waterway avenue (churrasco's on retail level/the goose's acre pub on waterway level), 25 waterway avenue (new street front retail), tinseltown.

Edited by bachanon

What are they doing with all of the dirt here:

waterway2.jpg

the dirt to the left is the north side of the waterway. this is the preparation for waterway square by sasaki and associates. there is another thread with more information on this project. waterway square will be surrounded by a mid rise boutique hotel and multi story condo project both with restaurants, clubs or retail on the lower levels. in the picture i posted previously with 21 waterway avenue and 25 waterway avenue, waterway square will be to the right or east of that picture. the parking garages between these structures will have street front retail, similar to what you see on the 21 waterway ave. picture, going back to and across from tinseltown. it's a freakin' walkable downtown.

the downside is, it's not funky. no resale shops or hole in the wall drinking establishments.

the upside is, it's across the woodlands parkway from home.

bachanon prays......please god, let me make enough money to purchase a second home near the new richmond line and main in order for me to enjoy and admire the diversity of life inside the loop on a more regular basis. ;)B)

I figured they might be doing this thing all over the country. I was hoping the Woodlands was unique with this project. Speaking of "unique", what is with all the corporate retail on Market Street? It's the same stuff you see anywhere else in Houston's sprawl limits. I want to see locally owned businesses that have character. The Town Center itself is great. They just need to hurry up and incorporate so they can make a government ordinance to prohibit chain stores from leasing at Market Street. This would be beneficial to the community in the long run. It would promote town unity and keep the Town Center from seeming fake-looking. I understand that the rents are high, but once they enact that ordinance, I'm sure it will be more affordable. Think Kaplan Ben-Hur in the Heights: independent store and a famous staple of the community. (Too bad it closed down; they sold excellent coffee). I'd use San Marcos downtown as an example. It has just the right balance of touristy gift shops and mom and pop stores that locals visit on a regular basis, for instance a pizza place, a martini bar, a shoe store, or a tobacco store. As it stands now, Market Street has basically the same stores you could find in the Galleria or in the Rice Village.

I figured they might be doing this thing all over the country. I was hoping the Woodlands was unique with this project. Speaking of "unique", what is with all the corporate retail on Market Street? It's the same stuff you see anywhere else in Houston's sprawl limits. I want to see locally owned businesses that have character. The Town Center itself is great. They just need to hurry up and incorporate so they can make a government ordinance to prohibit chain stores from leasing at Market Street. This would be beneficial to the community in the long run. It would promote town unity and keep the Town Center from seeming fake-looking. I understand that the rents are high, but once they enact that ordinance, I'm sure it will be more affordable. Think Kaplan Ben-Hur in the Heights: independent store and a famous staple of the community. (Too bad it closed down; they sold excellent coffee). I'd use San Marcos downtown as an example. It has just the right balance of touristy gift shops and mom and pop stores that locals visit on a regular basis, for instance a pizza place, a martini bar, a shoe store, or a tobacco store. As it stands now, Market Street has basically the same stores you could find in the Galleria or in the Rice Village.

lilly pulitzer? orvis flagship store? cru, a wine bar? yes, most of them are the same, but there are a couple of stores unique to the houston area.

the extensive survey that the founders of market street completed before they broke ground found that nearly 90% of woodlands residents went into or around the loop on a regular basis for shopping, dining and entertainment. when asked if they would shop locally if the same options were here, over 90% responded yes (of course). don't quote me on the figures, but they were quite high for both questions. couple the survey with the demographics and bingo........j. crew, la madeleine, berryhill, grotto, etc.

Hmm, that's new to me. I always thought the Woodlands was known for its anti-mainstream tastes and a preference for locally owned businesses. I have never even heard of those three stores you mentioned. (Do you know how they're doing business-wise?) Can you tell me what businesses are, indeed, locally owned in the Town Center? Those are the ones I'd want to visit first the next time I'm at Market Street.

We went into the Orvis up here a few weeks ago, my husband is a Texan and an avid hunter. They certainly did there research and are catering to the Woodlands demographic, no custom guns or deluxe hunting accesories...just clothing, dog beds and preppy women's clothing. There was some fishing gear....

The Orvis on Augusta and Westheimer is certainly more "Texan."