"town center" encompasses the mall, market street, the riverway, etc.  its borders are i-45 on the east, lake woodlands on the west, woodlands parkway on the south and (i think) lake front circle on the north.

also, the population of the woodlands is closer to 90% white (unfortunate imho, but a better percentage than formerly mentioned).

next time you visit the woodlands, start out at the homefinder center.  it is right off of woodlands parkway, westbound, before you get to grogan's mill.  they have huge models of the development and town center and free maps.

I stand corrected. What I was describing as the "town center" is actually the new Market Street area.

Maybe the population just SEEMS 98% white. It's a true fact, though, that 97% have had plastic surgery of some kind.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry folks but that looks FANTASTIC! I will be making a trip there within the next two weeks to check it out for myself. Look at the details folks. Look at those lighting fixtures, and the placement of some of the lights along the riverway, the landscaping, and direction signs, and the advertisment fixtures on the sidewalks. It's the details that makes this so awesome in my eyes.

I hope Houston can take a few lessons from both the Woodland and Sugarland with these projects. Midtown are you watching?

it's more than just shopping, midtown coog. you have dinner, linger, throw a frisbee, catch a movie, get some coffee. kids are hysterical in the water jets. you run into neighbors, coworkers and that nice lady from the express lane at HEB. also, it's quiet in the middle of market street (except for the sound of people, music and the occasional car alarm). what i mean by quiet is NO freeway noise. it's almost eerie.

come visit.

I just can't see myself shopping at that fake looking place.

I avoid it. If I need to shop and have a great lunch, I go to Uptown. If I want a good dinner without the 2 hour wait, I got to Uptown.

But you know, without the market street, there really would be nothing up here. So I'm glad they have it I guess.

i think katiedidit compares apples with oranges.

i too prefer uptown/in the loop for a certain kind of dining. i don't expect the woodlands to have mark's or americas or backstreet cafe, etc.

last thursday, we had reservations at 6:30pm for six people at tommy bahamas. the service and food was excellent, we waited no more than 15 minutes and stayed for over an hour in the park visiting. it was relaxing and uber enjoyable.

I don't know people. Some things don't look rightin dwntwn and some things fit new urbanism ad that is the Woodlands. The two things that I wouldn't mind in downtown from Woodlands Town Center are the Borders and the sidewalk retail aligned with trees. Here are some more shots.

wood6qb.png

wood28xq.png

seeing how they could have built this in downtown it makes me a little sick.

Downtown? Are ya kidding me? I went to Market Street once, and for some reason, for me, at least, it has a similar ambiance to Rice Village, except, newer, more "planned", etc. If anything, this should go into the Heights, Midtown, or one of the neighborhoods like that. It just isn't "Downtown-ey" enough.

Nice place, though, albeit a tad faux-ish.

Yes, please excuse my usage of hyphen-isms. ;)

it's more than just shopping, midtown coog.  you have dinner, linger, throw a frisbee, catch a movie, get some coffee.  kids are hysterical in the water jets.  you run into neighbors, coworkers and that nice lady from the express lane at HEB.  also, it's quiet in the middle of market street (except for the sound of people, music and the occasional car alarm).  what i mean by quiet is NO freeway noise.  it's almost eerie.

come visit.

The quiet would be nice, but where are the trees? The Woodlands to me means tall pines with everything else as hidden as possible. I'm talking about trees within the shopping area, not surrounding it. Isn't that the theme of the Woodlands? It should be dining and shopping amid the pines. Looks like they either couldn't swing it with this project or just decided not to bother.

OK, I don't want this post to be negative because it is definitely a good thing for the residents who now no longer have to get on the freeway to dine etc. but it just looks more like the backlot of 20th Century Fox than the Woodlands. I just think they should be careful not to stray from the original Woodlands feel too much. Better than strip malls and lifestyle centers though.

Man! An Instant Downtown! As far as the demographics go, I did see one black guy as [i'm assuming] paid entertainment. All in all, however, it looks whiter than white to me...somwhat like Disneyland when I was a kid. I'll take my grungy old downtown any day of the week. Each to his own, I suppose.

I don't think the suburbs needs to be downtown. Some of us like things clean, plastic, and shallow. :) I say that in semi-seriousness. Let the surburbs be the suburbs. Downtown isn't far away if you want to experience both. I think most Houston residents get to experience both inner-city city and suburbs on a semi-regular basis. We're talking about only a 30-minute drive from one to the other.

• 5 months later...

New%20TC%20Building.jpg

Construction Underway on

Three New Buildings in Town Center

Three new buildings totaling 36,123 square feet are under construction in The Woodlands Town Center near The Woodlands Waterway

Edited by bachanon

I went to eat at Sweet Tomatoes not too long ago in the Woodlands, and driving up to it, I noticed how much things had changed even in the last 2 years.

One thing that bothers me is that now that the Waterway has been developed, the mall seems out of place. It was a really nice mall during the late 90s and early 00s, but it seems like indoor malls are starting to become obsolete. Also, it just doesn't look approriate next to the Waterway, but other than that, the Woodlands is designed almost perfectly.

I'm wondering if maybe it will get redeveloped eventually once more mixed use buildings go up and the area begins to urbanize.