Reits

Sunstar

Has anyone here ever invested in an REIT? If so, what is your general opinion of them? Have the returns been good?

I just sold the only one in my portfolio. I had it for about 5 years, it brought in about a 150% return over that period. I suspect as the real estate market cools, than REITs aren't going to be as great an investment as they were 5 years ago.

I held a REIT for six months this year and made a very nice return. However I'm not a "buy and hold" type of invester -- I do a lot of active trading of my investments using technical analysis. The REIT I was in has started somewhat of a downward trend in net asset value so I'm out of it now. However, when it starts back up I'll probably be back into it. As with any investment, you should do your homework and research what you're getting into. You should have a plan to get out of it as well. Never forget the point of investing in market securities is to "buy low and sell high." That's how you make money. Buying low, riding it up, and then riding it back down gets you nowhere but frustrated.

• 6 years later...

Archived