How do you get to work?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. How do you get to work?

• Walk
    • Bike
    • Drive
    • Metro - Bus
    • Metro - Train

As my handle implies, I live in the neighborhood right behind the University of Houston. I brought this house for well under 200k. I grew up in this neighborhood, and my wife and I wouldn't think of living anywhere else.

The only drawback are the schools. In this neighborhood, it's either find a magnet school or shell out the $$ for private school.

I currently drive to work. I'd take METRO, like I did when I lived in midtown and worked downtown (sometimes I even walked), but there's really not a convenient way to get between the University of Houston and Greenway Plaza. The options are either to take the 77 MLK downtown and then transfer to the 25 Richmond (which requires a bit of a walk because the 25 doesn't go through the downtown transit center) or take the 42 Holman (whose route through Third Ward is slow and circuitous) to midtown and catch the 25. METRO did have plans to begin a new route straight down Wheeler and Blodgett directly to Wheeler Station (which TSU and UH students could have used for easy access to the train and bus routes westward), but then Frank Wilson came along and put that idea (along with some other proposed bus routes that actually made sense) on indefinite hold.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I commute from The Woodlands to the Galleria via car. I'd love to take a bus, but it only runs to Downtown, Med Ctr, and Greenway Plaza from The Woodlands. Taking an exchange would add too much time to the current 40-45 minutes in my car.

We are planning to move the office downtown in the next two years, and I'll be getting that bus pass for sure.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The project will be wonder, but me and the rest of the people in the White Oak Bayou Association (WOBA) really want this project to connect from Shepherd to 11th street by TC Jester. That will connect the White Oak Bayou trails towards downtown. We also would love the trail to follow the MKT right of way under TC Jester along the tracks to Memorial park. Imagine living along this trail and you can take a bike to Memorial Park!

You bet. I can't wait for that. I could fly down that thing to downtown. I agree with kjb's suggestions or wishlist as well. It sure would be nice to connect the TC Jester trail to the 7th Street trail.

Of course, I was also kind of hoping the LRT would eventually run down that corridor. Not sure what other Heights residents think of that, but I thought it would be great. So, I'm torn between the bikeway and the rail...just so long as the Toll Road authority keeps their mitts off of it.

:)

I don't know. I know that METRO LRT maps show this corridor as a possible route for the northwest line. I also see the bikeways project. And HCAD shows this corridor to be 50 feet wide. Can you squeeze two rail lines and a 10 foot bike path in there?

I don't know.  I know that METRO LRT maps show this corridor as a possible route for the northwest line.  I also see the bikeways project.  And HCAD shows this corridor to be 50 feet wide.  Can you squeeze two rail lines and a 10 foot bike path in there?

I would think you probably could. That would be awesome if it was light rail and a hike and bike trail. Especially since I believe this was the corridor that was once talked about to have a tollway.

• 2 weeks later...
I would think you probably could.  That would be awesome if it was light rail and a hike and bike trail.  Especially since I believe this was the corridor that was once talked about to have a tollway.

It is, so the sooner they fill it with something else, the better. Another thread showed the bikeways to be 10 feet wide. Looking at the Main Street line, it looks to be no more than 25 feet wide at the stations. So, I suppose it is possible, but would they put them next to each other?

Keep in mind that if that corridor is used for the 290 commuter line, the trains will likely be bigger, louder, and faster than the light rail is. We're probably talking a train several cars long pulled by a full-size locomotive (hopefully electric but I've seen no mention of that which probably means we'll be stuck with diesel). There won't be as many stops along the route, and the trains will be in a dedicated right of way, so operating speeds will be faster. This may discourage development of a hike and bike path in the same corridor. Ideally I'd love to see both, and it could be done, with appropriate barriers between the path and the tracks. But commuter rail may require a wider right of way than the light rail does, because the equipment is often much, much bigger. Many commuter rail cars are wide enough to allow five seats across the width of the car, plus a wide aisle. Houston's light rail vehicles (and most other LRVs) are wide enough for four seats and a fairly narrow aisle.

ssullivan:

Thanks for ruining my dream rail/bike scenario. :huh:

I was about to say that commuter rail would go down Center Street, but if you look at the map in the first post on Dallas vs. Houston thread, it shows the commuter line going through the Heights. However, I've also seen LRT go through there.

Obviously, the preferred route for commuter rail is down Center, since they already have freight rail there, but who knows.

The prefered route would the heights to avoid the frieght line along center.

From section along center street to Memorial Park the freight line is way too busy. The US 290 corridor is not as busy and commuter rail would be fine. Commuter rail having a dedicated track from I-610 to downtown would be the best option.

The commuter rail to sugarland is going to have issues because Union Pacific has a lot of rail traffic on the line heading out to sugarland already.

If Union Pacific doesn't want the commuter rail they don't have let use their lines. Metro can't do anything about it.

Commuter rail has to run on a schedule to be reliable for riders. Union Pacific would have to ensure the lines allow for the schedule and have the freight trains work around this schedule. This could very well mean more freight trains in the night.

I think the proposed commuter rail line to Missouri City will use dedicated rails adjacent to the UP tracks, similar to the current setup of the light rail test track along Holmes Rd. This would solve the problem of integrating freight train schedules with the commuter trains.

I was thinking that would be the choice. I hope the cost of that was considered in there proposals.

The UPRR corridor is perfectly situated for the lineI'm sure they will be able to negotiate to get the property along that corridor.

The commuter rail feasibility study Edwards and Kelcey produced for HGAC regarding the UP line paralleling 90A did include the cost for a second track. Union Pacific representatives made it clear at the study's steering committee meetings (I was at most of them) that the ONLY way commuter rail would work on that line is if an entire second track (not just a handful of passing sidings) were added. They even suggested that in a couple of places three tracks (!) would be necessary.

The 100-year-old bridge crossing the Brazos River in Richmond would need to be replaced with a wider one, too.

• 2 weeks later...

From that article:

"The APTA study also noted that of the 98 percent of Americans who drive to work, 94 percent are the sole occupant of their automobile."

That's just sickening. There should be a law requiring everyone to carpool at least one day a week.

Also from the article:

"The campaign is intended to de-emphasize the inconvenience and social stigma associated with using public transportation, focusing instead on the positives. Among these positives: the health benefits of getting fresh air while waiting at the bus stop, the chance to meet interesting people from a diverse array of low-paying service-sector jobs, and the opportunity to learn new languages by reading subway ads written in Spanish."

I think this is one of those paragraphs that was meant to be serious, but is actually unintentionally funny. The more I read and re-read that paragraph, the funnier it gets. It's almost like a satire a la National Lampoon or Saturday Night Live.

Well, I took the bus again today, and I am starting to think Homer Simpson was right.

Offensive perfume odors, fat ladys hogging two seats, and the cluster that is Franklin near juror parking has me wondering if its worth the effort.

Today, a skank was even travelling with her pillow. Damn freak smelled like bed!

I am only doing it to save Mother Earth.

Offensive perfume odors, fat ladys hogging two seats, and the cluster that is Franklin near juror parking has me wondering if its worth the effort.

Today, a skank was even travelling with her pillow.  Damn freak smelled like bed!

It's funny to hear that and then think of the commuter buses where's there Etiquette. (Lines to get onto the bus, which moves directly to the back of the bus or to the nearest set of seats which doesn't already have someone sitting in one; the Rule is "Do not sit next to someone if there is a set of seats where both are unoccupied." As well as a line to exit the bus - much like getting off an airplane.) :lol:

Well, I took the bus again today, and I am starting to think Homer Simpson was right.

Today, a skank was even travelling with her pillow.  Damn freak smelled like bed!

I am only doing it to save Mother Earth.

Coog, Terra Momma appreciates the effort.

The juror parking cf will move from Franklin to Austin and Franklin once the new jury assembly area and parking garage addition are complete. As for the rest of those people, you're on your own.

Are these your Fall Creek neighbors? ;)

Are these your Fall Creek neighbors?

I sure hope not. Especially the skank with the pillow!

I was on the Tube a couple of months ago on Saturday, headed to Harrods/Knightsbridge. It was cheek-to-cheek, and I didn't even realize my arm-pit was on some cute little girls head.

I told her I was sorry, and she said "that's the least offensive thing I've had done to me all day on the Tube. You would not believe how nasty these people can be".

Truly makes me appericate my HEMI!

can you say "HEMI"

Sometimes the joy of your own car is worth it even when you are in traffic. If you are in a nice car, it's not that bad. And with all the devices we have now, you can conduct business from traffic.

Well you can't get rid of traffic and especially rush hour. The most you can do is shorten how long the rush hour jam lasts. For example, all the work on the Katy freeway won't get rid of the bumper to bumper traffic in the afternoon. What it does is lessen how long that lasts. No traffic engineer would claim anything different. No traffic engineer could claim they can get rid of traffice, they can only manage it better.

As for business in traffic, it nice to take care of some things easily by phone. It also passes the time a little better. I don't get to drive in much traffic because I usually go against it, but usually I'll find ways of keeping my self occupied when I get slowed down. CD's work for a while, but usually just getting some pesky things at the office taken care of works well.

• 2 months later...

Archived