• Walk
    • Bike
    • Drive
    • Metro - Bus
    • Metro - Train

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two-three days a week I drive. The other days it's either a combination of METRO bus and rail or bus only, depending on which routing I'm in the mood to take that day. I currently live in the Braeswood area and work just west of the Galleria, so driving is the fastest, but I save money when I take METRO (but it takes longer). Regardless of whether I do the bus-only route or the combined bus and train, it takes about the same amount of time. Usually I do the light rail because I like riding it. However I'm job hunting and hopefully will end up working downtown or in the Medical Center. Then it will be METRO most days for me, except for when the weather is extremely unpleasant.

The Katy Freeway. What a drag it is. To drive out of Cinco Ranch is enough at 6 in the morning. Then you have to drive about 25 miles to Downtown. It is frustrating to me. I usually take the Addicks Park&Ride on the Metro Bus. It's quicker than Kingsland Blvd. When I am in that traffic though, I want to scream.

The Katy Freeway. What a drag it is. To drive out of Cinco Ranch is enough at 6 in the morning. Then you have to drive about 25 miles to Downtown. It is frustrating to me. I usually take the Addicks Park&Ride on the Metro Bus. It's quicker than Kingsland Blvd. When I am in that traffic though, I want to scream.

No offense, Cinco, but if the commute is that horrible, why do you live out there? I find it hard to have much sympathy for anyone who has moved to the far west suburbs in the last twenty years when it comes to griping about the Katy Freeway. It's not like it's a new problem or anything -- it was pretty awful back in 1985 and everyone knows that the commute from the Katy area to downtown is terrible. So why live out there if you work in town?

And, I meant what I said about no offense. I'm not trying to be insulting or anything with this post. Just trying to understand the reason why so many people here choose to live out there, knowing the traffic is going to be a nightmare, and then constantly complain about it after they have moved to the Katy area.

No offense, Cinco, but if the commute is that horrible, why do you live out there? I find it hard to have much sympathy for anyone who has moved to the far west suburbs in the last twenty years when it comes to griping about the Katy Freeway. It's not like it's a new problem or anything -- it was pretty awful back in 1985 and everyone knows that the commute from the Katy area to downtown is terrible. So why live out there if you work in town?

And, I meant what I said about no offense. I'm not trying to be insulting or anything with this post. Just trying to understand the reason why so many people here choose to live out there, knowing the traffic is going to be a nightmare, and then constantly complain about it after they have moved to the Katy area.

Because of the area. It's a good area and I don't want to move from it. It has a good quality of life, too. Why do people live in the Woodlands, Kingwood, Pearland, or Sugar Land?

So you're saying the rest of us in the city lives in slums? :)

Personally, all that couldn't keep me IN the 'burbs. The quality of life improves significantly when you move towards town. You gain several hours a week of your life, your commuting costs are next to nothing, and you're able to enjoy more time with your kids or send them to some of the better private schools here and STILL be able to take them to a movie or dinner at night AFTER they do their homework.

Ricco

BTW: My work is all over town, so I have to drive most frequently.

Depending on what's going on, I'll generally park somewhere along the line and ride metro in. (The valet's generally know me well enough to keep my car downstairs if I tell them I'll only be a few minutes. God bless them.

Ricco

So you're saying the rest of us in the city lives in slums? :)

Personally, all that couldn't keep me IN the 'burbs.  The quality of life improves significantly when you move towards town. You gain several hours a week of your life, your commuting costs are next to nothing, and you're able to enjoy more time with your kids or send them to some of the better private schools here and STILL be able to take them to a movie or dinner at night AFTER they do their homework.

Ricco

I totally agree Ricco. When I moved to Houston my office was in Westchase so I lived in Westchase. Then my social life started to center around Montrose and other inner loop areas. Then my office moved to the Galleria area and my short commute more than doubled. After my recent move into town, I have about the same drive to work but am much closer to the rest of my life outside of work. I'm averaging an extra 4-5 hours per week now that I used to spend driving between the inner parts of town and home in Westchase that I now have free to do other things. Granted I don't have kids to take care of in the evenings but that extra time is worth every penny of extra housing costs I'm paying. And those extra housing costs are being offset by an estimated $25 per month in saved gas and about $30 per month in saved tolls.

But, to each his own.

Just felt the need to add my two cents...

I grew up in the southwest part of town (Westbury/Bellaire). Why didn't I stay there when I got married and had kids? One reason, the houses were cheaper and nicer and newer in the 'burbs, there was less crime in the 'burbs, and the schools were much better than HISD. So, there you have it, affordable housing, better schools, and less crime. I realized that there are trade-offs; worse commute, less entertainment (arts, music, zoo), but I knew these things going in. If I was single again, I'd probably live in Downtown Houston in a heartbeat, because I loved the excitement of the city, but when you have kids, other considerations come into play. (I'm guessing I'm a lot older than others posting to this site!) HA!

Kids will change your life and your urban attitude. It did for me.

That's the challenge with inner loop living. It's great for adults (DINKS and Singles) but when you have kids there are a lot of other challenges.

My friends without kids say "I'll NEVER live outside Loop 610". I used to say that, too. Then reality sets in.

School, finding a decent house in a good hood, nice neighbors for the kids to play with, etc.

Inner loop Houston can't support the traditional family unit right now, but hopefully it will one day.

Inner loop Houston can't support the traditional family unit right now, but hopefully it will one day.

I tend to disagree with this statement, simply because there are a lot of nice inner loop neighborhoods with lots of kids living in "traditional" families, as well as some not so traditional (but equally loving and stable) family units. Yes maybe the houses aren't as new or as affordable and some of the HISD schools aren't as good (although there are some excellent HISD schools inside the loop), but I don't think you can say that the inner loop neighborhoods can't support families when thousands of families live in those neighborhoods. Yes, maybe downtown and midtown aren't prime places to raise children yet, but lots of places here are.

And you are right, having kids does change you. If I ever have any I might feel differently, although at this point if I ever do find a partner and we decide to adopt children, I think we'd definitely give careful consideration to some of the nicer inner loop areas. But at the moment, that's all still a long way off.

It's about being priced out, and having to settle for less house or townhome living inside Loop 610. Upper middle class housing really does not exist in the city.

There are plenty of 2/1 with a one car garage optoins with 1200sf out there, but it tough to live in that with children. Timbergroe Manner is a good example of this size home.

This article in the Chron sums it up pretty well.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/business/2673461

INSIDE THE LOOP

Finding happiness as an Inner Looper

Many young buyers don't want to give up the perks of living near downtown, but few can find what they need inside the Loop for less than $200,000

Buying inside the Loop can be a personal statement. Dara and Laura Childs wanted to hang on to the perks of living in the middle of the city.

They lived in a 1,550-square-foot house in the Houston Heights until a baby boy was born. Suddenly the home felt too small. There was no nursery for 3-week-old Noah. "His crib was at the top of the stairs," Laura said.

The couple started looking for a house in February and closed in April on an 1,840-square-foot home in Timbergrove Manor. They paid $172,000 for the house, but they knew it was not even close to their taste. It would take two-and-a-half months of remodeling and an additional $90,000.

--------

Close to 300K for 1,800 sf. is no bargain. And even then, the schools are questionable, and the area is gem or junk.

That's why people end up in the burbs.

• 6 months later...

I just bought my patio home (townhome with no common walls) for $180K. It has three bedrooms and two baths with a two car garage.

It is just north of I-10 west of TC Jester. Its before you cross the big bridge on TC Jester.

This neighborhood is being revitalized. Most of the homes are in a delapidated state.

I work at 290 and Hollister and drive from the above location. I use to live by Westheimer and Kirby in the Upper Kirby area. The move to the new house has cut off 15 minutes of my commute. Plus I'm going the opposite way that most traffic is going.

If my offer on this condo goes through I'll soon be taking the montrose>59>westpark way into Westchase in the morning instead of coming all the way around the beltway from Pearland.

Saving a ton in tolls and some in gas.

My commute is changing from a combination of driving and taking METRO to a weekly trip to IAH and flight to wherever I'm working that week. And on the occassional week I'm in Houston for work, it will be driving to a client site or when I'm really lucky, walking about 20 feet from the bed to my desk to tele-commute.

Archived