Can Someone Please Explain Houston's Obsession With Gates & Fences?

jdbaker

Although I couldn't be happier with my first 4 months in Houston, I'm constantly amazed, and confused, by the liberal usage of gates and fences within the city. In particular, I don't understand why so many townhouses that face the street have fenced "front yards" between the front door and the sidewalk.

I'm guessing that most people will argue that such fences exist for security reasons, but I'm not sure that really explains it. I think if people were genuinely concerned about security you would see more barred windows as a 6 foot iron fence is of little practical use in keeping out unwanted guests. Likewise, homes with solid fence/gate combo's afford a great deal of privacy -- to anyone who wishes to lurk in the front yard without being spotted by street traffic. So, with that said, can someone explain this phenomenon to me?

Although I couldn't be happier with my first 4 months in Houston, I'm constantly amazed, and confused, by the liberal usage of gates and fences within the city. In particular, I don't understand why so many townhouses that face the street have fenced "front yards" between the front door and the sidewalk.

I'm guessing that most people will argue that such fences exist for security reasons, but I'm not sure that really explains it. I think if people were genuinely concerned about security you would see more barred windows as a 6 foot iron fence is of little practical use in keeping out unwanted guests. Likewise, homes with solid fence/gate combo's afford a great deal of privacy -- to anyone who wishes to lurk in the front yard without being spotted by street traffic. So, with that said, can someone explain this phenomenon to me?

The property owners don't want to be held liable for the little kid's getting run over in town houses or apartments. The home owners put them up because of the crime or they been there for decade's. you know to keep the dog's out or in.

As part of the gentrification process, the new homes replacing the old shacks are in the middle of slums.

There are lots of homeless people running around.

It will eventually not be needed, but in places like the 4th Ward, I'd feel better with a fence too.

But if you put a mean looking dog behind said fence, then it should make for a fairly effective combination.

a fence is a deterrent to thieves. just like burglar bars are. But if one wants to enter your home, neither will stop them if the burglar is determined.

Actually, a privacy fence shields burglars from view, thereby making their job simpler. As a theft deterrent, sevfiv wins the $64.

However, fences do keep the dog from escaping, and one with a decent sounding bark will help keep the crackheads away. Also, fences keep nosy neighbors at bay. So, they do have some usefulness.

As for the burglars, a steel frame on the doors, plus security windows (hurricane proof) on the first floor is much more effective, and doesn't look as much like a prison. Windows that do not open are best.

Actually, a privacy fence shields burglars from view, thereby making their job simpler. As a theft deterrent, sevfiv wins the $64.

However, fences do keep the dog from escaping, and one with a decent sounding bark will help keep the crackheads away. Also, fences keep nosy neighbors at bay. So, they do have some usefulness.

As for the burglars, a steel frame on the doors, plus security windows (hurricane proof) on the first floor is much more effective, and doesn't look as much like a prison. Windows that do not open are best.

You're right that a privacy fence would do that, but the original post didn't discuss privacy fences. Only rod iron. And rod iron, done right, isn't quite as visually-detracting as a wooden privacy fence or as are burglar bars. I know that if I were a resident, I would prefer not to have the shadow of burglar bars cast into my home from its every orifice.

Also, burglar bars may keep theives out, but they can also keep occupants in...even during a fire. Non-operable hurricane-proof windows have a similar problem. Also, the rod iron fence doesn't block one's view of the home from the street, so suspicious activity is indeed visible.

On the other hand, it does prevent some opportunistic crimes, for instance by keeping people from being able to get close enough to the protected home to glance through the windows. Criminals that are less sure of the payoff are less likely to break and enter in the first place.

You shoud not have to drive too far to see that intermixed within all of these slightly upscale homes inside the loop is lots of ghetto. Therefore, lots of fences.

You shoud not have to drive too far to see that intermixed within all of these slightly upscale homes inside the loop is lots of ghetto. Therefore, lots of fences.

I don't buy it. Urban neighborhoods in other cities are more often than not surronded by "ghetto", and yet you don't see anywhere near the prevalence of fences and gates that you see in Houston.

There's another fence phenomenon cluttering lower/middle class neighborhoods where the fence combines masonry and wrought iron, perhaps with painted tips, sometimes called "hacienda fences".

haciendafence1dr0.jpg

Or, just the iron fence, often with lion profiles.

Sometimes they're used in combination with the concrete front yard/parking lot.

They appear to be a sort of combination security/status symbol.

In my opinion, the proliferation of these fences over time, apparently many constructed with no survey so the setbacks vary, really detract from the quaint appearance of an older neighborhood as the sight lines down the blocks become garrish and jumbled. I prefer the open lawn but that look is only found in areas where crime and psuedo-status seeking are less of a concern.

And here's the poster boy for why deed restrictions can be a good idea in certain parts of Houston.boardfence1zj3.jpg

You're right that a privacy fence would do that, but the original post didn't discuss privacy fences. Only rod iron. And rod iron, done right, isn't quite as visually-detracting as a wooden privacy fence or as are burglar bars. I know that if I were a resident, I would prefer not to have the shadow of burglar bars cast into my home from its every orifice.

Also, burglar bars may keep theives out, but they can also keep occupants in...even during a fire. Non-operable hurricane-proof windows have a similar problem. Also, the rod iron fence doesn't block one's view of the home from the street, so suspicious activity is indeed visible.

On the other hand, it does prevent some opportunistic crimes, for instance by keeping people from being able to get close enough to the protected home to glance through the windows. Criminals that are less sure of the payoff are less likely to break and enter in the first place.

He actually mentioned both types. Wrought iron is easily scalable, so even a mildly entrepreneurial burglar will not be deterred. All fences can prevent a burglar from taking large items, but they'll just leave through the garage if the gate is locked.

As to hurricane windows, if you are concerned about not being able to walk 10 feet to the front door in a fire, lockable metal frames are also available.

FWIW, probably half of my burglar clients entered open garages. Most of the suburban burglars entered through the back of the house, invariably shielded by a privacy fence. Doors are apparently so easy to kick in that I cannot remember a client who entered through a window, though I know that it does occur. The only time I ever was burgled, the thief scaled my driveway gate and entered the garage that I forgot to lock. Needless to say, I lock the garage even when I am home, now.

I don't buy it. Urban neighborhoods in other cities are more often than not surronded by "ghetto", and yet you don't see anywhere near the prevalence of fences and gates that you see in Houston.

"Surrounded" is not exactly the same as intermixed, within, next to, adjacent to. It's no secret that there is a plethora of crack shacks next to, in between, behind brand new gated/fenced homes.

He actually mentioned both types. Wrought iron is easily scalable, so even a mildly entrepreneurial burglar will not be deterred. All fences can prevent a burglar from taking large items, but they'll just leave through the garage if the gate is locked.

As to hurricane windows, if you are concerned about not being able to walk 10 feet to the front door in a fire, lockable metal frames are also available.

FWIW, probably half of my burglar clients entered open garages. Most of the suburban burglars entered through the back of the house, invariably shielded by a privacy fence. Doors are apparently so easy to kick in that I cannot remember a client who entered through a window, though I know that it does occur. The only time I ever was burgled, the thief scaled my driveway gate and entered the garage that I forgot to lock. Needless to say, I lock the garage even when I am home, now.

Well, that's interesting and all, and after having double-checked, you are correct that he'd mentioned privacy fences toward the end, your response really doesn't address the fact that the iron fences are a deterrent to opportunistic crime. It certainly doesn't work 100% of the time, but then nothing does.

Windows that do not open are best.

and when your home catches on fire and you can't get out, you'll regret having windows that dont' open. this is a major safety issue.

And here's the poster boy for why deed restrictions can be a good idea in certain parts of Houston.boardfence1zj3.jpg

Deed restrictions won't stop this either. The City only enforces certain types of restricitions. Do you know what's behind the fence? i'm sure a few city ordinances already on the book could help.

The people who bought my dads old house built a plywood fence just like that. They had about 10 to 15 junk cars behind it. I would not want to be around when a hurricane come's.

Deed restrictions won't stop this either. The City only enforces certain types of restricitions. Do you know what's behind the fence? i'm sure a few city ordinances already on the book could help.

The guy supposedly has junk vehicles back there and yes, City Ordinances prohibit them but all they can do is write tickets and apparently the guy just pays the tickets.

But you're right about deed restrictions. If it doesn't have to do with property line issues or property use issues, they won't touch it. I'd forgotten about that, which makes it a huge waste of time to even have restrictions beyond those that they'll enforce.

It's neighbors like this that give freedom a bad name.

Well, that's interesting and all, and after having double-checked, you are correct that he'd mentioned privacy fences toward the end, your response really doesn't address the fact that the iron fences are a deterrent to opportunistic crime. It certainly doesn't work 100% of the time, but then nothing does.

Yes, I suppose that a wrought iron fence across the front of my townhome would deter an opportunistic thief from taking the gnome artfully placed in my front courtyard. You got me there.

and when your home catches on fire and you can't get out, you'll regret having windows that dont' open. this is a major safety issue.

While I suppose that a blaze could so engulf the foyer of my 25 foot wide townhome that I could not walk the 6 to 8 feet from the first floor study to the front door, and do so quickly enough that the fire alarm would not alert me in time, I have found that not storing oily rags and gasoline in my foyer greatly reduces the chances of this happening. For those that insist on storing their gasoline in the foyer, I recommend installing the locking metal framed windows that I mentioned in post #16.

Or maybe you'd just feel better putting up a wrought iron fence like the one in danax' post.

• 2 weeks later...
I hate fences too. I think it draws away from the "all american" look of wide open spaces. It does remind me of third world countries where most people have high fences because of crime.

Here's more "third world" security happening in my neighborhood. This fencing is all new but if you look closely, the porch is completely enclosed its own iron gate from floor to ceiling.

2aj5qnt.jpg

I figure it's either just a bad-taste version of trying to out-do their neighbors, they're planning on opening up a crack house or maybe the owner just got out of prison and needs some time to adjust to freedom. :ph34r:

Not entirely.

I was at the townhomes over on Bagby near anita.

The townhome complex is surrounded by a gate that is unlocked during the day (I assume), as I went inside, I noticed ONE townhome in particular had it's teeny porch enclosed in a gate/bar setup, while everyone else didn't have such a system on thiers.

I think it all depends on your own sense of security/paranoia that would allow you to feel safe.

Archived