Baylor St. Lukes McNair Campus & Health Sciences Park

Lulleah

Hello Everyone!

After months of lurking, I felt it was finally time to make a meaningful contribution! Today I attended a meeting at BCM that detailed some of the perliminary plans for the Parkwood hospital. Here's what was revealed.

Clinic-

242k gross sq ft

Planned 300 faculty

Hospital, Phase One-

415k gross sq ft

256 beds

all private rooms, 16 VIP

Diagnostic and Therapuetic

227k gross sq ft

17 ORs

30 ambulatory treatment rooms

30 ambulatory 23 hr stay rooms

Faculty Offices (the existing factuly center on Fannin that BCM leases will be vacated eventually)

199k gross sq ft

300 offices with support space

Research and education 19k gross sq feet

Parking

2000 spaces underground

Projected completion summer 2010

no trauma center, only adult emergency services

everything except pediatrics, obstetrics (both at TCH), psychiatry and intense rehabilitation services will be relocated here

It is still in the very preliminary stages of planning. A lot is subject to change. I think the plan is to break ground sometime in the summer hopefully this year. A fundraising capital campaign of $1billion is now in progress to help with the financing of the new hospital.

Attached are two scans of a flyer that was given. I am very excited about this project. A non-profit academic hospital is something the TMC is lacking. Most major medical centers are anchored by a strong academic hospital.

I'll let you know if I hear anything else!

post-3489-1170911144.jpg Page 1

post-3489-1170911170.jpg Page 2

Edited by CyberCyco
  • Like 1

Hello Everyone!

After months of lurking, I felt it was finally time to make a meaningful contribution! Today I attended a meeting at BCM that detailed some of the perliminary plans for the Parkwood hospital. Here's what was revealed.

Clinic-

242k gross sq ft

Planned 300 faculty

Hospital, Phase One-

415k gross sq ft

256 beds

all private rooms, 16 VIP

Diagnostic and Therapuetic

227k gross sq ft

17 ORs

30 ambulatory treatment rooms

30 ambulatory 23 hr stay rooms

Faculty Offices (the existing factuly center on Fannin that BCM leases will be vacated eventually)

199k gross sq ft

300 offices with support space

Research and education 19k gross sq feet

Parking

2000 spaces underground

Projected completion summer 2010

no trauma center, only adult emergency services

everything except pediatrics, obstetrics (both at TCH), psychiatry and intense rehabilitation services will be relocated here

It is still in the very preliminary stages of planning. A lot is subject to change. I think the plan is to break ground sometime in the summer hopefully this year. A fundraising capital campaign of $1billion is now in progress to help with the financing of the new hospital.

Attached are two scans of a flyer that was given. I am very excited about this project. A non-profit academic hospital is something the TMC is lacking. Most major medical centers are anchored by a strong academic hospital.

I'll let you know if I hear anything else!

post-3489-1170911144.jpg Page 1

post-3489-1170911170.jpg Page 2

I'm glad you are excited. I and my neighbors of Devonshire Place are very dubious of ALL the TMC projects since they talk about being good neighbors to existing neighborhoods and the environment when in fact they would love to bulldoze me and my neighbors along with Parkwood. It is VERY noisy out there right now. A 1 billion dollar capital campaign???. Check out what has happened to the Baylor Endowment since Traber became prez and alienated the other medical facilities. And how many layoffs have there been at Baylor the last couple of years? Too much growth too fast and not enough product sales looks like bankruptcy to me. I also wonder how the Univ. of Houston feels about Baylor's "non-existent" but existent in all the drawings, proposed road thru their property on Wyndale? Can you spell conflict?

I'm glad you are excited. I and my neighbors of Devonshire Place are very dubious of ALL the TMC projects since they talk about being good neighbors to existing neighborhoods and the environment when in fact they would love to bulldoze me and my neighbors along with Parkwood. It is VERY noisy out there right now. A 1 billion dollar capital campaign???. Check out what has happened to the Baylor Endowment since Traber became prez and alienated the other medical facilities. And how many layoffs have there been at Baylor the last couple of years? Too much growth too fast and not enough product sales looks like bankruptcy to me. I also wonder how the Univ. of Houston feels about Baylor's "non-existent" but existent in all the drawings, proposed road thru their property on Wyndale? Can you spell conflict?

If I had money to spare right now, I'd be buying up Devonshire Place left and right. In just a couple years, you are going to be extremely well-positioned to capture the top of the market.

• 2 weeks later...

:)

Edited by woolie

I'd buy your house and bulldoze it myself if I had the money. It will be probably a TMC property within a decade.. It's always amusing to see NIMBY's complaining about the very projects and expansions that have driven their real estate values astronomically through the roof.

Nothing can stop the Medical Center. Be happy you have such valuable property.

Some people place a higher value on quality of life than the mindless amassing of $$.

• Like 1

Nothing can stop the Medical Center.

I does seem like the Medical Center has some sort of automatic awe factor that makes everyone support it in every way. I think they'll run into serious NIMBYs if they try to overtake the nabes west of Main though.

Some people place a higher value on quality of life than the mindless amassing of $$.

...and some people understand that earning money can bring about a higher quality of life. It is of course not the only thing that can, and the extent to which it is effective varies widely from person to person, but it is a big factor.

...and some people understand that earning money can bring about a higher quality of life. It is of course not the only thing that can, and the extent to which it is effective varies widely from person to person, but it is a big factor.

Happiness does not consist in having what you want, but in wanting what you have. - Confucius

It appears that the Devonshire Place resident wants what he or she already has. To express eagerness to destroy his or her home strikes me to be, at best, extremely tactless.

The little girl! How much you want for the little girl? - John Belushi in The Blues Brothers

Happiness does not consist in having what you want, but in wanting what you have. - Confucius

Confucious does not speak for me. I speak for myself. Tell me, who speaks for you? -TheNiche

Actually, the above quote is just senseless. It is correct that happiness lies in wanting what one has, but if one does not want what they have, then do they not have recourse? Should they not seek to change what they have that they might fulfill their needs?

Edited by TheNiche

It is correct that happiness lies in wanting what one has, but if one does not want what they have, then do they not have recourse? Should they not seek to change what they have that they might fulfill their needs?

but of course. the original poster, however, appeared to be content with what he/she has

and not with the potential changes

On that, we can agree. :D

I beg to differ. :rolleyes:

but of course. the original poster, however, appeared to be content with what he/she has

and not with the potential changes

Perhaps, but Ian and I would seem to be content to buy him/her out, perhaps lease back the home for a number of years, then demolish and rebuild to the site's highest and best use.

• 3 weeks later...
I beg to differ. :rolleyes:

Perhaps, but Ian and I would seem to be content to buy him/her out, perhaps lease back the home for a number of years, then demolish and rebuild to the site's highest and best use.

TMC area is extremely tight. I don't think single family housing is appropriate for many blocks in any direction. This includes neighborhoods immediately West of Main, which really are the closest underdeveloped land. But as others allude too, they have too much political power to be acquired in large enough blocks for TMC use. For instance, take a look at how tight infill is getting. Methodist is building a large building on a marginally sized piece of land on Bertner, in fact, it's so tight it facade and structure actually hug the Bertner curve w/ 0-setback. Diagnostic Pavillion demolition. Scheduled Crown Plaza/Wells Fargo demolition. We're going to see more and more of the smaller structures put down to make room for 15-30 story buildings. Take a look at the TMC Master Plan.

I would like to see a large number of condo developments along the rail line (which frustrates me most about Mosaic; Serrento is close enough to walk.) Basically take the Clone Stamp Tool to 5000 Montrose and Spires up and down Main St. in that area.

My gleeful destruction of the owner's home was a somewhat cynical reaction to nimbyism, but let's face the facts: the TMC is one of the best things going for Houston. It's increasing in size at a fantastic rate. Anyone who owns property in the area should be happy with the situation. If the owner doesn't appreciate the thousands of very highly paid jobs added within walking distance to his house, then he can sell his home and take a healthy compensation in cash. As I said, I'd be happy to buy it myself and live there until a TMC institution needs the land, but I'm a poor student.......

• 3 weeks later...

Baylor to break ground on first hospital in Houston

By TODD ACKERMAN and BRETT BRUNE

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Baylor College of Medicine plans to break ground on its first-ever hospital in July, less than a year after its short-lived partnership with St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital foundered.

Baylor today released new details of the plan, which call for 1.1 million square feet of construction, including 256 beds, to be finished by 2010. A planned second phase will bring those numbers to 600 beds and 2.7 million square feet.

"This hospital will give Baylor the control of its clinical mission it has always wanted," said Baylor President Dr. Peter Traber. "Of the top 20 U.S. medical schools, we are the only ones that do not have a primary private adult teaching hospital."

The first phase of the complex, which includes the hospital, faculty offices and a clinic that will replace the current one on South Main, will cost $568 million. No cost or start-up date has been set for the second phase.

The Baylor hospital will be built on a 35-acre site adjacent to the Michael E. DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center, an area the Texas Medical Center calls "the mid-campus" as development moves southward.

The hospital/clinic complex will have 2,000 parking spaces, both surface and garage.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/4692167.html

• 1 month later...

Dr. Traber, President of Baylor College of Medicine, has agreed to meet with the residents of Devonshire Neighborhood Place Association May 24, 6:30 - 7:30 pm, Cullen Hall, main Baylor campus. His "team" will address our concerns related to their proposed hospital project and its impact on our "almost" historic neighborhood. Personally, we don't feel tall towers and tall parking garages are condusive to an old neighborhood when they are built directly across the street.

We feel there is a better way AND they can still have their wishes, AND give a more meaningful gift to the City of Houston. I only hope the power brokers are not too egotistical to listen.

• Like 1

Your "almost" historic neighborhood will more than likely benefit greatly from the completion of the hospital after it's completed. While your property values are likely to increase, you will likely be an "oasis" in the middle of all that chaos that will be highly coveted.

If that's the case, you really should not be complaining as the pluses for your neighborhood vastly outweighs the negative.

• Like 1

If that's the case, you really should not be complaining as the pluses for your neighborhood vastly outweighs the negative.

while i can see both sides, it's all relative

i am of the opinion that this will not be so great for the homeowners of the "almost" historic neighborhood, though

• Like 1

The only real issues that the "almost" historic neighborhood will likely suffer is traffic problems for residents getting in and out (I am not really familiar with the neighborhood, but I think they only have one or two points of entry/exit), a possible increase in noise (which all the construction, ambulances going to/from the med center should be old hat by now), and towers looming about them.

Basically just typical city gripes they will get over. I just hope they don't start turning into A-Oaks types.

Dr. Traber, President of Baylor College of Medicine, has agreed to meet with the residents of Devonshire Neighborhood Place Association May 24, 6:30 - 7:30 pm, Cullen Hall, main Baylor campus. His "team" will address our concerns related to their proposed hospital project and its impact on our "almost" historic neighborhood. Personally, we don't feel tall towers and tall parking garages are condusive to an old neighborhood when they are built directly across the street.

We feel there is a better way AND they can still have their wishes, AND give a more meaningful gift to the City of Houston. I only hope the power brokers are not too egotistical to listen.

What is your better way? Can you find me another dozen acres just laying around the area, unclaimed by anyone? :)

while i can see both sides, it's all relative

i am of the opinion that this will not be so great for the homeowners of the "almost" historic neighborhood, though

Oh, it'll be great for the homeowners, but could really suck if you're a renter.

Oh, it'll be great for the homeowners, but could really suck if you're a renter.

I would hope that "visionaries" at BCM could "partner" with TMC to build their parking garage using some of the TMC parking lot and some Baylor property, both benefit. A linear park could and should be established between Wyndale and Brunson, Cambridge and S. Braeswood, that could save many old oaks, handle bicycle and pedestrian traffic from the numerous apts. and condos south of OST, provide a "nature" break for scientists working in their labs and a healing environment for patients and employees alike, while acting as a complementary transition between 1-2 story homes and 10-15 story towers. This may also help improve BCM's current grade of "D" by the Sustainable Endowments Institutes (www.endowmentinstitute.org). Their proposed insanely large SURFACE PARKING lot along Cambridge is a waste of space and death to many old oaks. Wyndale should be closed at a point just west of the Wyndale/Staffordshire intersection and would prevent the onslaught of cut thru traffic. The TMC 50 Year Master plan calls for the necessity of an east-west street connecting the VA to Fannin. The recently completed NEW firehouse could be located on this connector giving BCM better protection in case of emergency. The east-west street would also intersect with a Bertner Street expansion thru ALREADY VACANT LOTS and provide easy access for the few individuals who need to get to both Baylor locations. A Pressler Street bridge is simply NOT needed and will be a waste of taxpayer money. I feel BCM can have all it wants AND be an asset to Devonshire neighborhood and the City of Houston. Anybody AGAINST more greenspace or better bike to work access?

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the rendering from today's groundbreaking for the new Baylor Clinic and Hospital. The new digs will have up to 600 patient beds, an emergency room (no trauma center though), faculty office space, research space, and clinic space. It is set to open in 2010. The complex will also have 2,000 parking spaces in both garage and surface lots. Uggghhh on the surface lots. I would like to think Baylor would be a better neighbor that that...

bcmchrendering.jpg

• Like 1

Gah, scooped. :)

Here is an image I took earlier today at the BCM Family Celebration. This rendering is from a different angle.

IMG00125.jpg

Agreed that the surface lots MUST GO.

Edited by woolie
  • Like 1