Anyone remember Johnny Ace

Mark F. Barnes

Rhythm and blues recording star Johnny Ace accidentally killed himself while playing Russian roulette at a holiday dance in Houston. On Christmas eve 1954, while on a promotional tour of concerts, Johnny was playing Russian Roulette backstage at the City Auditorium in Houston, and accidentally shot himself. He died the next day on 12/25/54. The shooting occurred at a show featuring the popular singer and his band. Ace had gone backstage for a five-minute break and had been fooling around with a revolver with one bullet in the chamber. Ace, whose real name was John Alexander, was one of the brightest stars in the r&b field. He rose to fame on Duke Records, coming thru with his first hit, "My Song," in 1952. Since then he has had eight hits in a row, including "Cross My Heart," "Please Forgive Me," "The Clock," "Yes, Baby" and the current "Never Let Me Go." The news of the singer's death caused a big demand for his past record hits. Peacock Records, which owned the Duke label, had to rush out an LP of Ace's sides to meet the demand. In addition, the label released another new single, "Pledging My Love". Ace was 25 years old when he died.

Streaming Music Link

Archived