400-Acre Development Known As Spindle Tree In The Woodlands

Boris

New development planned for The Woodlands

Houston Business Journal - 4:54 PM CDT Thursday

The Woodlands Development Co. has purchased a 400-acre tract of land for a new 900-home community.

The land is contiguous with the 28,000 acres that comprise The Woodlands and is located at FM 2978 just west of neighborhoods now in development in the Village of Sterling Ridge.

Plans for the new community, to be known as Spindle Tree, include more than 900 single-family homes and townhomes, two parks and hike and bike trails.

Prices will start in the $190,000s, and the first home should be available for purchase in 2008.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

New development planned for The Woodlands

Houston Business Journal - 4:54 PM CDT Thursday

The Woodlands Development Co. has purchased a 400-acre tract of land for a new 900-home community.

The land is contiguous with the 28,000 acres that comprise The Woodlands and is located at FM 2978 just west of neighborhoods now in development in the Village of Sterling Ridge.

Plans for the new community, to be known as Spindle Tree, include more than 900 single-family homes and townhomes, two parks and hike and bike trails.

Prices will start in the $190,000s, and the first home should be available for purchase in 2008.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

Yeah, and they said they were almost through building out. <_< They better put another school in this area, both Elem. schools back here are bursting at the seams with only about 50% of the "old final" build out complete. Another 900 homes will break the camels back. COulson Tough and Deretchin are both under 4 years old and over 1000 children in each.

i think the neighborhood will be magnolia or tomball school districts. there is an intermediate school north of woodlands parkway on 2978 that is magnolia school district. the students will not be in conroe isd.

You know, I really think the Woodlands should had made its own school district when it first started. They should have had the the boundaries only for residents living in the Woodlands. Would make things a lot similar. You don't want a Shadow Creek Ranch situation up here.

What happens if The Woodlands Incorporates and the WDC keeps buying up land. Will The Woodlands then become "the evil" annexor?

Something needs to be done quickly and instead of waiting until 2011. The Woodlands and the WDC can't protect, control and provide for the residents they have already, yet they are buying up more land.

Governance panel considers public vote

By: TIFFANY WILLIAMS, Villager staff

09/06/2006

The Governance Steering Committee decided recently to "consider" the practicality of adding a public referendum to help determine which of two proposed governance alternatives is best for the master-planned community.

The GSC, a group of 11 stakeholders that includes business and resident representatives, has been studying potential governance options, which would have to be approved by residents before implementation under a structured three-tier system. After narrowing the options from 11 to two, the members are charged with studying and determining whether incorporating with the consent of the city of Houston or forming a special-purpose district with the special laws and responsibilities approved in the 2007 state legislative session is best for The Woodlands.

Financial, political and lawmaking criteria must be defined before the GSC can make a decision. According to www.thewoodlandsgovernance.org, the committee is set to decide the preferred form of governance at the close of 2006.

full story

considering this and the story about adding 1.5 million to the current 1 million for patrols, i think that things are moving along quite well. all of the things that people complain about are commonplace for unincorporated areas. i grew up in unincorporated developments. there is nothing new or unusual about slow police responses, vandalism and lackluster services. there is an extra effort required of the homeowner and each neighborhood when living in unincorporated areas.

perhaps the woodlands should have a disclaimer on its advertising explaining that it is an unincorporated development and city services, as one would expect from living near a city core, should not be expected. ;)

You know, I really think the Woodlands should had made its own school district when it first started. They should have had the the boundaries only for residents living in the Woodlands. Would make things a lot similar. You don't want a Shadow Creek Ranch situation up here.

what is the 'shadow creek ranch' situation? where is shadow creek ranch?

Does anyone know exactly where this 400-acre parcel is? From looking at the map of Sterling Ridge it seems it must be south of Woodlands Parkway on the east side of 2978. This would be Magnolia ISD.

At least 15 years ago I understand that some state legislation moved some undeveloped Woodlands property from Magnolia ISD into Conroe ISD (this must have been on the west side of Sterling Ridge) with a lump sum payment made to Magnolia ISD. Don't look for that to happen again too easily. The surrounding districts now know the tax value of their land near The Woodlands.

Sept. 16, 2006, 10:24AM

Woodlands buys 400 acres for future development

New tract is largest purchase for developer in 10 years

By LAURA ISENSEE

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

The Woodlands Development Co. recently purchased a 400-acre tract of land connecting with 28,000 acres that make up The Woodlands.

The purchase marks the company's largest land acquisition in the last decade, said Tim Welbes, co-president of The Woodlands Development Co. Over the last several years, the company has bought land only in small parcels, he said.

It also marks the first neighborhood of The Woodlands zoned for the Magnolia Independent School District.

Welbes said the company bought the land from three sellers.

Room for more homes

With its newest land acquisition, the development company plans to expand its new home offerings, in particular in the more affordable price range, Welbes said. Ahead of its sales forecast for 2006, the development company is running out of new homes in Montgomery County.

"Had we not had this (land purchase), by 2008 we would be sold out in Montgomery County," Welbes said.

Located at FM 2978, the tract is immediately west of neighborhoods in development in the Sterling Ridge area and its most southern part reaches Matthews Road, Welbes said.

full story

• 3 years later...

This has not got off the ground, right?

A few months ago I took a ride down Matthews Lane and was curious about the extensive gate and brick fencing on the north side. Click for a Google Street View

http://maps.google.c...419+Tory+Ann+Dr,+Magnolia,+Montgomery,+Texas+77354&ll=30.166445,-95.594401&spn=0,0.019784&z=16&layer=c&cbll=30.166465,-95.595523&panoid=49-1s3AUgjg5JOx0W08pvg&cbp=12,1.79,,0,5

I talked to a local resident about the property and he reported it was previously owned by an eccentric millionaire who passed before he could build his mansion. The property was then purchased by The Woodlands and they are currently leasing it as pasture land until they have a need to develop it.

• 3 weeks later...

A few months ago I took a ride down Matthews Lane and was curious about the extensive gate and brick fencing on the north side. Click for a Google Street View

http://maps.google.c...419+Tory+Ann+Dr,+Magnolia,+Montgomery,+Texas+77354&ll=30.166445,-95.594401&spn=0,0.019784&z=16&layer=c&cbll=30.166465,-95.595523&panoid=49-1s3AUgjg5JOx0W08pvg&cbp=12,1.79,,0,5

I talked to a local resident about the property and he reported it was previously owned by an eccentric millionaire who passed before he could build his mansion. The property was then purchased by The Woodlands and they are currently leasing it as pasture land until they have a need to develop it.

What is at the end of Matthews Rd? I

• The title was changed to 400-Acre Development Known As Spindle Tree In The Woodlands

Archived