British Petroleum Plans Expansion In Energy Corridor

Boris

BP plans expansion in west Houston

By TOM FOWLER

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Oil giant BP is planning a major expansion of its west Houston campus to accommodate 2,000 new workers over the next few years.

The company recently added 50 acres to the campus at Interstate 10 and West Lake Park Blvd. and plans to build a seven-story, 390,000-square-foot, environmentally-friendly building for its gas and power trading business.

The new BP project is another example of the construction boom in the Energy Corridor, an area along I-10 from Dairy Ashford to beyond Highway 6, that is home to major facilities for many energy companies.

Trammell Crow Co. announced earlier this year plans for 600,000 square feet of new office space at I-10 and Eldridge Parkway, while earlier this week Shell Oil Co. said it would build a 170,000 square-foot office building at Dairy Ashford for workers who find and produce oil and gas.

The building construction and renovation work announced Thursday is expected to cost about $250 million, said BP spokeswoman Annie Smith, adding that planned future projects could push that total to about $660 million.

This project will include a new parking garage for 1,700 cars and widening of Grisby Road. Added parking is a priority since the BP campus currently has only 100 spare parking spaces, leaving many workers driving around trying to find an empty space near their office.

The later phases include a larger building for its onsite childcare center, new training and development buildings, and possibly a hotel with retail shops.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/4187950.html

Yes, West Houston is looking solid. Hope this trend continues.

Hope this increases the land values and drives out the apartments.

I wonder what this will do to housing values in the area?

skyrocket? hopefully...

the construction of the buildings and the widening of the grisby along with the contruction of hwy 6 and i-10 is going to be awesome for traffic flow. I mean theres not going to be any amount of traffic during construction (at all).

...sarcasm rules

• 2 months later...
I wonder what this will do to housing values in the area?

skyrocket? hopefully...

the construction of the buildings and the widening of the grisby along with the contruction of hwy 6 and i-10 is going to be awesome for traffic flow. I mean theres not going to be any amount of traffic during construction (at all).

...sarcasm rules

It'll help them out quite a bit, actually. Think of it this way...would you rather have to drive 20 miles at an average speed of 30mph just to be stuck in the same temporary construction-induced traffic as everybody else as you approach the Energy Corridor business district, or would you rather forgo the 20 miles and just get right to the temporary construction-induced traffic?

More jobs => higher property values in the immediate area. Its pretty consistent that way.

• 1 month later...
The crane is up for the office building on the corner of Eldrige and I-10 (I beleive it is for Shell?). Also thier is a lot of work and prep going on for the BP exspansion.

My sister bought a house in Bear Creek in 1988. Around 1995 her real estate agent, who just happens to live in the same cul-de-sac, told her about the explosion of pop. growth in that area was going to increase by 20-30K within 10-15 years. She had a lot of schematics for the schools, shopping centers and business centers there were, are and will be built (up to around 2010). Along with the expansion of I-10, the building is insane. Anyone who doesn't think Houston is constantly under construction needs only to drive around the great city and see. I visit Houston roughly twice a year- i always look forward to seeing the constant changes. As for the construction on Eldridge and I-10; i thought it forward thinking for a parking garage to be built before the highrise is built. Also, follow Eldridge all the way to Westeimer......... a lot of construction down that corridor too.

Does anyone have the specifics on the "exact" location of the Energy Corridor? I know it is a buzzword which has surfaced over the last couple of years in Houston. Where does it begin? End? What are its dimensions? Any maps?

I would appreciate any contributions.

B) m.

Energy Corridor is Houston's newest claim to fame. We not only have downtown, Uptown, Midtown, Greenway Plaza, Greenspoint, Woodlands ... jeez the list isn't even started ... but we have Energy Corridor where uber mega-energy companies provide campuses instead of single 40 or 50 story boxes. THey have several midrises that make it college-like environments. That's cool; work and live and play in your neighborhood... I'm a downtowner, but I can see how that environment would be totally workable.

• 4 weeks later...

A new crane is up just south of the Sysco building. Also another crane went up closer to Dairy Ashford and I-10. Their is three cranes up along the energy corridor. Also, their are a couple of other developments unde construction along eldridge between Westheimer and I-10. Does anybody have any information in what is being built...

They tore down a bunch of buildings on Eldridge just south of I-10. It's a lot of land and I have no idea what their going to do with it. There's also a lot of developmont on Enclave Parkway. They tore a building down there and they're rebuilding it. There's also something being built on Briar Forrest close to Eldridge. Not to mention new strip malls showing up on Eldridge. It's a pretty active area.

Sysco is new building that was just built on enclave. Also theyre building something on their old hq site. dont know what it is. anyone here know?

There is other development on Enclave thats supposed to be starting this Fall but those signs have been there for ages. Also polydoros is a horrible developer. just throwing that out there.

The new center on eldridge enclave looks like it is going to be nice. any renderings? I dont believe they have torn down the trees there. what Im goin to hate is when parkway develops the lot on the northwest side of enclave and eldridge. those trees are amazing.

the new public library is supposed to built just south of the bank of america drive thru on the banks of terry hershey. and I do not know what is goin on at the site on eldridge which meeks partners is planning. theres been streets put through but I dont know what its supposed to be. a church went up on the west side of the lot. and memorial hermann owns all that land so we will see.

the development north of the freeway on eldridge is a spec building.

Sysco is new building that was just built on enclave. Also theyre building something on their old hq site. dont know what it is. anyone here know?

Yeah, Sysco completed the first building, is constructing the second, and plans to construct a third. It is really quite an undertaking. Still, they'll have quite a bit of left over vacant land that doesn't appear to have much going for it.

Frankly, their whole development philosophy is confusing. Why they tore down their old facilities rather than sell them off and build everything along the east side of Enclave Parkway just doesn't make a lick of sense.

did Sysco own the land on the east side of enclave? likely they got some tax abatement if they developed something new or to that standing. or didnt know what do with the cash or long-term debt they had.

you know it was them that burned down that house a couple of years ago that sat on briar forest. I would like to see what property that how encompassed.

but still no one knows what is happening at eldridge and memorial?

I havent seen any renderings of the the library yet. they said that it was to involve terry hershey though. the old library I think is going to be turned into an hpd substation. at least this is what the residents of nottingham forest want it to be turned into.

did Sysco own the land on the east side of enclave? likely they got some tax abatement if they developed something new or to that standing. or didnt know what do with the cash or long-term debt they had.

you know it was them that burned down that house a couple of years ago that sat on briar forest. I would like to see what property that how encompassed.

but still no one knows what is happening at eldridge and memorial?

I havent seen any renderings of the the library yet. they said that it was to involve terry hershey though. the old library I think is going to be turned into an hpd substation. at least this is what the residents of nottingham forest want it to be turned into.

Sysco owns six parcels of land along Enclave Pkwy. If I'm not mistaken, it is three on each side, including the hard northeast corner of Enclave and Briar Forest.

Part of Eldridge @ Memorial will be retail strip centers. Not sure what'll be on the interior of the property.

• The title was changed to British Petroleum Plans Expansion In Energy Corridor

Archived