Lousy. I'm tired of the police detentions to check my papers when I'm de-boarding and trying to walk to my destination. They should have installed turnstiles from the start.

Was a reason given when the line was constructed for not putting in turnstiles?

I never heard one, but I'm assuming they thought it was pointless on a light rail line since people can just walk around. But it would make enforcement so much easier. It'd be a cinch for Metro Police to spot violators on camera and dispatch officers.

• 7 months later...

Got this press release today.  If anyone goes, be sure to post pictures!

ALL ABOARD FOR SATURDAY RAIL ROLL-OUT

METRO is inviting the public to get on board for the Saturday, Dec. 21 grand opening of the new 5.3-mile North/Red Line

Riding the train will be free all day as part of the grand opening celebration taking place at Moody Park. 

Festivities at the park include acts like A.B.Quintanilla III y Los Kumbia King All Starz, Mango Punch, Fama and special guest Tamar Davis. The free event will also feature booths with food from north-side vendors and activities for children (like 80,000 pounds of snow) - from 11:30 AM to 5 PM. Click here for the lineup.

Moody Park (3725 Fulton Street) is located right off the Red Line and has its own stop, Moody Park station.  Party patrons can hop on board any of METRO's 24 stations and make tracks for the celebration.

Prior to the Moody Park celebration, there will be a 10 AM photo opportunity when Congressman Gene Green, METRO Chairman Gilbert Garcia and others, board the first southbound train from Northline Transit Center/HCC  (8001 Fulton).

The UHD campus will host an additional commemorative event beginning at 1:30 PM Saturday for a gathering of select guests including community leaders and dignitaries. UHD President Bill Flores and METRO Board Chairman Gilbert Garcia will welcome guests who will board a specially decorated "Polar Express" train traveling to Moody Park for the celebration.

Rain killed the party. Still good news though

lol you highly exaggerate this

My personal experience is that the rail makes it very difficult to get from West of Main/Fulton where we live, to East of Main/Fulton, where my in-laws live.

Again... HIGHLY, ridiculously exaggerated.

No, it's not. I find it an utter pain now to take trips that were formerly very easy. You may not find that to be true. That's why I said it was my personal experience. I will say that the more difficult route is East to West.

In the case of the Pierce Elevated, there ARE no cross streets blocked. What's silly is how some consider Pierce a barrier (more of perception) than the light rail (which actually DOES block streets, not to mention pedestrian crossings). Of course, if you're firmly an entrenched in an anti-freeway/pro-light rail mindset, logic takes a backseat.

Edited by IronTiger
  • Like 1

In the case of the Pierce Elevated, there ARE no cross streets blocked. What's silly is how some consider Pierce a barrier (more of perception) than the light rail (which actually DOES block streets, not to mention pedestrian crossings). Of course, if you're firmly an entrenched in an anti-freeway/pro-light rail mindset, logic takes a backseat.

So a bohemoth 6 lane elevated freeway is not a barrier, but an at grade light rail is. Logic and reason at its best...

So a bohemoth 6 lane elevated freeway is not a barrier, but an at grade light rail is. Logic and reason at its best...

So how many cross streets were blocked in the creation of the Pierce?  And how many were blocked in the creation of the Red Line?  Which one blocks more cross streets?  Mathematics is logic and reason at it's best....

So how many cross streets were blocked in the creation of the Pierce?  And how many were blocked in the creation of the Red Line?  Which one blocks more cross streets?  Mathematics is logic and reason at it's best....

The Red Line blocks far more streets than the Pierce Elevated. The Light Rail blocks all crossings except at a few select major streets. The Pierce blocks almost no streets.

The Pierce doesn't prevent anyone from crossing underneath. The Red Line blocks many cross streets, because it's not really at grade - there are curbs on either side to prevent cars from crossing.

How much activity will take place where the red line is as opposed to under the pierce elevated?

The Pierce doesn't prevent anyone from crossing underneath. The Red Line blocks many cross streets, because it's not really at grade - there are curbs on either side to prevent cars from crossing.

I've driven the route of the red line and not had any of the problems you claim to have. The Pierce doesn't prevent anyone from crossing underneath, but other than to and from the Greyhound station, it's rare to see a soul crossing underneath it, day or night.

I've driven the route of the red line and not had any of the problems you claim to have. The Pierce doesn't prevent anyone from crossing underneath, but other than to and from the Greyhound station, it's rare to see a soul crossing underneath it, day or night.

So, you've never see a car cross under the Pierce?