Dallas Center for the Performing Arts

TexasStar

Dallas Center for the Performing Arts

Construction has begun on a new multi-venue performing arts center for music, opera, theater and dance that will include the Margot and Bill Winspear Opera House and Annette Strauss Artist Square, both designed by Foster and Partners, the Dee and Charles Wyly Theatre, co-designed by Pritzker Award-winning architect Rem Koolhaas (OMA) and Joshua Prince-Ramus (REX), and City Performance Hall, designed by Skidmore Owings Merrill. The four venues will be woven together by a new Performance Park covering more than ten acres, which will unify the buildings and create a dynamic cultural destination in downtown Dallas.

95327936-L.jpg

95329581-L.jpg

95329582-L.jpg

95328465-L.jpg

95328466-L.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kudos! I believe that funding is largely from private sources. That makes this even more exciting!

This will blend in nicely with the Meyerson and the museum district that is adjacent to that area of DT (DMA and the Nasher).

Frankly, I'm very impressed with the ability of Dallas to get projects like this moving. Developers in Dallas seems to be able to get things done (Victory, Uptown, West Village, Mockingbird Station, etc.). Developers and local administrators in Houston could possibly learn a thing of two.

Now Houston can focus on more CVS infill...

Kudos! I believe that funding is largely from private sources. That makes this even more exciting!

This will blend in nicely with the Meyerson and the museum district that is adjacent to that area of DT (DMA and the Nasher).

Frankly, I'm very impressed with the ability of Dallas to get projects like this moving. Developers in Dallas seems to be able to get things done (Victory, Uptown, West Village, Mockingbird Station, etc.). Developers and local administrators in Houston could possibly learn a thing of two.

Don't be too fast on Houston learning anything. In my Mosaic post: This is so cool. That area is going to be radically changed. The one thing that amazes me about Houston is the size. You have Kingwood with its Harbor; Woodlands with its lakes and riverwalk (plus a skyscraper); you have Clear Lake with condo skyscrapers; Energy Corridor with its endless number of highrises for the corporate giants; Greenway Plaza skyscrapers and condos; Uptown with its ritzy self; downtown humming right along with plans of a park and new highrise condos; Galveston, gotta include our island playground, bursting at the seams with new development .... I am sure I left some part of this BIG city out. If not, I know one of you all will know. Go Mosaic! Not taking anything away from Big D and its beautiful projects, but let's don't do attitude on this one. ;)

Actually, I have seen other renderings and that one does not flatter the building at all. The other renderings I have seen were beautiful. I don't think it will look like a red hat appearance in reality. You know pictures can be deceiving. But we will wait and see.

Houstonfella is right, those models are a poor representation of what the project will look like when completed. They are simply amazing...some of the best example of modern architecture I've seen in a long time.

Houstonfella is right, those models are a poor representation of what the project will look like when completed. They are simply amazing...some of the best example of modern architecture I've seen in a long time.

Thanks Troy. Dallasbois, Troy and h'fella know that this is a grand and beautiful and awesome project for Texas (not just Dallas). Cool that's it is happenin' in Big D, but it is for all of us Texans who get slammed by those f***ers from the Northeast and W. Coast. B)B)B)

• 2 weeks later...

B)B)

I don't really care for the outside (nor do I care for the exterior of Houston's Hobby Center) but the inside is cool, IMO.

Houston's Hobby Center offers spectacular views of our AWEsome downtown that no other venue can come close to. Hobby Ctr is a jewel in the oasis of downtown. Dallas will not come close in this arena.

In reality, Dallas has some great architecture. Of course we will be envious of some of Dallas' great things. But that is a two-way street. Houston isn't exactly Baghdad. We are blessed to have two metropolitan areas of each around six million folks (give or take a few thousand) and lots of wonderful things. Let's say I hope the new Dallas performing arts center (official name?) is as beautiful as that first rendering I saw with a white fabric-like material surrounding a red oval building. If not, hopefully it will turn out beautiful. Dallas does have Meyerson which is really really nice. Houstonians aren't Dallas haters. We just want our respect; because we deserve that - being No. 1 and all. B)

In reality, Dallas has some great architecture. Of course we will be envious of some of Dallas' great things. But that is a two-way street. Houston isn't exactly Baghdad. We are blessed to have two metropolitan areas of each around six million folks (give or take a few thousand) and lots of wonderful things. Let's say I hope the new Dallas performing arts center (official name?) is as beautiful as that first rendering I saw with a white fabric-like material surrounding a red oval building. If not, hopefully it will turn out beautiful. Dallas does have Meyerson which is really really nice. Houstonians aren't Dallas haters. We just want our respect; because we deserve that - being No. 1 and all. B)

Well I always get confussed with the names they are throwing around but the Center for the Dallas Performing Arts has not yet released its design. It will be the fourth venue following the Arts Magnet High School, Wyly Theater and the Winspear Opera House. 'Supposively' the Center for the Dallas Performing Arts will be or is being designed by SOM. They (city and other parties) have not been real clear about was is going on with that venue.

• 4 weeks later...

All I can say is....it's about time! Dallas is really going to benefit from a centralized Performing and Visual Arts District. There are many great museums and theaters in Dallas now, but there never seemed to be true "district". Now there will be!

I love it when they build new, big things in Dallas! That gets everyone in Houston all stirred up, trying to out-do 'em, and builiding more here....and the cycle continues....

All I can say is....it's about time! Dallas is really going to benefit from a centralized Performing and Visual Arts District. There are many great museums and theaters in Dallas now, but there never seemed to be true "district". Now there will be!

I love it when they build new, big things in Dallas! That gets everyone in Houston all stirred up, trying to out-do 'em, and builiding more here....and the cycle continues....

Why would a performing arts district in Dallas stir Houston up? Houston already has a very mature Theater District and Museum District. It seems as though Dallas was stirred up by what Houston has.

Actually, plans for the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, are in the works for expansion. This has nothing to do with anything planned in Dallas, but has been in the pipeline since the last new building was constructed. And we agree, Houston already has in place a great theater district and really great collection of museums.

• 2 weeks later...

First off, what performing arts centers are ever largely built from tax dollers? :wacko:

Secondly, Do you know any projects going on here?

Last, "CVS infill?" Grow up, or go to Skyscrapercity.com.

*edit: The Architecture is awesome for the Opera House, and while I'm not a fan of the Box's Architecture, I'm sure its top drawl for its genre.

• 1 month later...

Some construction pics of the Dallas Arts District. You have One Arts Plaza in the background, and cranes in the foreground for the Dallas Arts Magnet Highschool and Winspear Opera House.

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/1217/pe...trconstrzg6.jpg

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/6130/pe...trconstrog7.jpg

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/4521/img3825je2.jpg

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/1412/img3828xu8.jpg

Archived