uptown dallas

kennyc05

In a perfect world downtown Houston should be called "uptown", midtown should be called "midtown", and the Medical Center should be called "downtown". But we all know that will never, ever happen.

Downtown Houston will always be called downtown. The best thing that could happen (at least in terms of identifying areas of "towns") will be if the Hardy Rail Yards project spurs enough development north of I-10 to justify calling it "uptown". Then the Galleria Area will have to think up a new name - like "west town" or something.

Think of midtown as a name that identifies the area of town halfway between west Houston and east Houston and then it sounds like it makes more sense.

Charlotte NC's CBD is called Uptown because it's at a higher elevation then the rest of the city.

They have no downtown.

Downtown Houston will always be called downtown. The best thing that could happen (at least in terms of identifying areas of "towns") will be if the Hardy Rail Yards project spurs enough development north of I-10 to justify calling it "uptown". Then the Galleria Area will have to think up a new name - like "west town" or something.

Think of midtown as a name that identifies the area of town halfway between west Houston and east Houston and then it sounds like it makes more sense.

Our Uptown will never have to worry about another area (Hardy Rails) usurping that geographic title.

The population center of the Houston MSA is now the interesction of 8 and 290, I believe. You want we should call that Centertown to really screw with people's minds ?

I think its IH-10 and BW8.

Well, I can't find the article that says otherwise.

I had thought with the growth out 290 catching up to Katy and Woodlands, that the population center had shifted north... but perhaps I'm wrong.

regardless.. was just giving kenny and coaster more to chew on.

Archived