East End Strategic Vision

The Greater East End Management District and the Houston East End Chamber of Commerce will make a presentation at a luncheon on Wednesday. The topic is the "East End Strategic Vision: See Our Future".

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

11:30AM - 1:30PM

University of Houston Hilton Hotel

Shamrock Ballroom

4800 Calhoun, Entrance #1

Individual seats are $30; tables available. Parking included in price.

Make a last-minute reservation by calling 713-928-9916 or e-mailing vision@greatereastend.com

An encore presentation that is free and open to the public will be held at 333 S. Jenson Drive at 6:00PM later that day.

$30 is too steep for me but I might try to make the encore presentation.

I love knowing that this area has entered into its 21st century redevelopment cycle with plans and visions from someone besides developers. We've had the benefit of being able to watch other areas change first which gave groups like these time to formulate strategies.

Congressman Gene Green was at our civic association meeting last night and mentioned the progress being made by the Federal, State and City governments, along with private groups, to buy land along the Buffalo Bayou and make the Buffalo Bayou Master Plan a reality. The Navigation area, once there are residential towers built on the bluffs overlooking the protected Bayou and with skyline views (my vision), will be an ultra-cool neighborhood.

I can't help feeling optimistic that, with all of these groups moving in the same direction, these visions have a decent shot at materializing.

I love knowing that this area has entered into its 21st century redevelopment cycle with plans and visions from someone besides developers.

Actually, the plans were formulated primarily by developers. There were only a couple residents on the team and residents' opinions were only incorporated as an afterthought.

$30 is too steep for me but I might try to make the encore presentation.

I was way too sick yesterday to attend either event. Did you or anybody else on HAIF go to one of these? I've read over what my boss brought back. Looked 'fluffy'. Lots of photos and lots of generalities, but relatively few specifics except as a review of what's already going on.

Actually, the plans were formulated primarily by developers. There were only a couple residents on the team and residents' opinions were only incorporated as an afterthought.

I was assuming that the "stategic vision" was created by The Greater East End Management District and the Houston East End Chamber of Commerce. Even if it was developers, it's still a plan.

What I meant by "someone besides developers" was the typical free-for-all that we all know. But since I didn't make the presentation, I have no idea either what they're talking about.

I would like to see what types of "fluff" this group of developers has dreamed up.

I would like to see what types of "fluff" this group of developers has dreamed up.

No you wouldn't. I guarantee that you already know 80% of what's written in the booklet. The rest is so general that you could probably guess what they're talking about. And the bulk of printed space is comprised of photographs. Many of the photographs don't do an effective job at communicating anything other than that Hispanics live there.

• 3 months later...
No you wouldn't. I guarantee that you already know 80% of what's written in the booklet. The rest is so general that you could probably guess what they're talking about. And the bulk of printed space is comprised of photographs. Many of the photographs don't do an effective job at communicating anything other than that Hispanics live there.

Glad you included that last sentence about the assumption and generalization that its only Hispanics live here. Couldn't be farther from the truth. That title "Hispanic" can be so misconstrued as the media, tabloids, etc. do so often. My neighbors and I get so much junk mail (in Spanish) because the sender assumes if you have a Spanish last name you MUST read/write too. Pure pulp fiction. Hispanic (here in Houston) is normally viewed as low-income, unskilled, & undocumented. Now if you go to any of our sad to say grocery stores see what kind of customer service you get. The cashier can hardly work the register much less greet you. This only emphasizes the stereotype of uneducated Hispanics in our area. There has to be better ways to gather data to these developers is what I am trying to stress (not vent). There are just a hand full of originals like me that didn't flee to the burbs but decided to stick it out. We need help....Divine intervention?

Glad you included that last sentence about the assumption and generalization that its only Hispanics live here. Couldn't be farther from the truth.

I didn't use the word "only".

That title "Hispanic" can be so misconstrued as the media, tabloids, etc. do so often. My neighbors and I get so much junk mail (in Spanish) because the sender assumes if you have a Spanish last name you MUST read/write too.

Approximately 91% of East End residents are "Hispanic or Latino", as classified by the 2000 Census. 79% speak Spanish in the home. And those are just the ones caputred by the Census! Trust me: marketers don't have time to discriminate by the origins of your last name. They're just playing the numbers.

And the East End Management District has to do the same. While promoting growth, they must take care not stab their constituency in the back.

Hispanic (here in Houston) is normally viewed as low-income, unskilled, & undocumented. Now if you go to any of our sad to say grocery stores see what kind of customer service you get. The cashier can hardly work the register much less greet you. This only emphasizes the stereotype of uneducated Hispanics in our area.

No, not all are undocumented. However, 64% of East End residents over 25 years of age don't have a high school diploma or GED and the median household income is just shy of $30k even though the average household has 3.5 people. There is truth to the stereotype.

There has to be better ways to gather data to these developers is what I am trying to stress (not vent). There are just a hand full of originals like me that didn't flee to the burbs but decided to stick it out. We need help....Divine intervention?

The Lord hath commanded me, "Go down unto them and deliver to the East End of Houston a flipped house, sturdy in its frame, granite upon its countertops, wood upon its floors, and they shall rejoice, and there shall be profit." :D

Ok, I feel really dirty now. :mellow:

I didn't use the word "only".

Approximately 91% of East End residents are "Hispanic or Latino", as classified by the 2000 Census. 79% speak Spanish in the home. And those are just the ones caputred by the Census! Trust me: marketers don't have time to discriminate by the origins of your last name. They're just playing the numbers.

And the East End Management District has to do the same. While promoting growth, they must take care not stab their constituency in the back.

No, not all are undocumented. However, 64% of East End residents over 25 years of age don't have a high school diploma or GED and the median household income is just shy of $30k even though the average household has 3.5 people. There is truth to the stereotype.

The Lord hath commanded me, "Go down unto them and deliver to the East End of Houston a flipped house, sturdy in its frame, granite upon its countertops, wood upon its floors, and they shall rejoice, and there shall be profit." :D

Ok, I feel really dirty now. :mellow:

Still laughing...

Since Hollywood is in the remake stage of old films; there should be a biblical one done that shows:

Moses standing on 45/Telephone rd overpass. Looking down the long stretch of Telephone and shout "Once again Though has lost faith and has turned vial & corrupt, lacivious and have turned to sins of the flesh. For this you shall drink bitter waters! Then he raises the tablets and tosses them down onto the street causing the ground to shack then opens up a huge crevace all the way to the end of Telephone Rd by Hobby Airport. Swallowing up all beer joints, adult theaters, topless dives & cheap motels. Only a few broken crack pipes & wine bottles would remain.

Thats what I call real Hollywood!

• 1 month later...
Still laughing...

Since Hollywood is in the remake stage of old films; there should be a biblical one done that shows:

Moses standing on 45/Telephone rd overpass. Looking down the long stretch of Telephone and shout "Once again Though has lost faith and has turned vial & corrupt, lacivious and have turned to sins of the flesh. For this you shall drink bitter waters! Then he raises the tablets and tosses them down onto the street causing the ground to shack then opens up a huge crevace all the way to the end of Telephone Rd by Hobby Airport. Swallowing up all beer joints, adult theaters, topless dives & cheap motels. Only a few broken crack pipes & wine bottles would remain.

Thats what I call real Hollywood!

OH MY GOSH!! Is that what crashed my sewer line [Moses tossing tablets to ground, causing mass crevace & shaking of earth]? Thought ol' house was stressed & rebelling against the wrecking ball working on McCormick & Truett to make way for new homes. New homes down the block.....a miracle.

Question @ trashing/building new:

Does anyone have opinions about how the new homes will affect the value of surrounding older homes? Will the new homes make our 1940s homes more valuable? OR Will new homes be the "homes of the future" & the older homes sold for "lot value" only? From the increase in tax values, it looks as if the appraisal district thinks the new homes drastically increase value. Yes, I protest taxes each & every year. I could never sell my house for what the value was before protesting last year. Not sure I can get the value after protesting either.

OH MY GOSH!! Is that what crashed my sewer line [Moses tossing tablets to ground, causing mass crevace & shaking of earth]? Thought ol' house was stressed & rebelling against the wrecking ball working on McCormick & Truett to make way for new homes. New homes down the block.....a miracle.

In which neighborhood is the intersection of McCormick & Truett?

It's in Sunnyland, Niche, that non-descript collection of homes from the late 20s through the late 40s.

It's a decent locale between Broadmoor and Idylwood, both of which should survive teardowns for the most part, but Sunnyland homes are not going to attract the same gentrifiers, and so is likely to end up as land value/teardowns.

Will value go up for the existing homes? Hard to predict. It depends on how "hot" the nabe becomes for new homes. Right now, land is still cheap enough to allow for single family construction with yards, which attract middle class families. If townhomes were to start going in there, then I think the existing homes would appreciate, but mostly only for lot value.

Does anyone have opinions about how the new homes will affect the value of surrounding older homes? Will the new homes make our 1940s homes more valuable? OR Will new homes be the "homes of the future" & the older homes sold for "lot value" only? From the increase in tax values, it looks as if the appraisal district thinks the new homes drastically increase value. Yes, I protest taxes each & every year. I could never sell my house for what the value was before protesting last year. Not sure I can get the value after protesting either.

I'd say it depends on what the current housing stock is like. The good, solid houses with architectural detail, espescially brick ones, will probably not meet the wrecking ball. The dilapidated ones that were nothing special even when new will probably be knocked down.

McCormick & Truett do not intersect. They run parallel for 2 blocks. They intersect Dismuke & Sunnylan. The subdivision is Sunnylan [no "d" on deed/documents]. Very stable area with few houses for salw. Most are homeowners @ our house.

I remember the Heights in the 70s, change does not come quickly. In the 60s, we passed up a huge victorian on Columbia because it looked shabby with hippies living in the house & down the block. the price was right, but I told husband I was not going there to collect rent. It did look scary. I've matured now & am not bothered by such shabbyness as long as it is profitable. I can only imagine what that house would be worth today. Basically we let the clerk at title company talk us out of buying as title check found 14 leins against place. Seller said they were all paid & could prove it. Now, I'm of opinion she just didn't want to "fool with it" for the price of their services. Oh, well...life goes on. I just want to get rid of mind in East End at the right time & for right price.

• 2 years later...

Question @ trashing/building new:

I would think that it would depend on the quality of the house, and what buyers want to get.

I hope that because the quality of a lot of these houses is better than some in other revitalized areas that not all will be lost, and we will see value in our current homes.

All I do know is that I have always been happy to see different areas of houston become places people want to go, and live, and I am proud and excited to be a part of the east end revitalization (just so long as some of the topless dives are replaced with quality 'gentlemens clubs') :P

I wonder what my grandmother would think about the changes on Truett? She lived in 3 houses away from Dismuke on Truett from the late 30s through the mid 90s.

Hello all,

So has anyone seen a time line for this Livable Centers/Strategic Vision? I saw a ABC-13 remote van/truck in Guadalupe Park last evening and they have a story on their website.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=...&id=6866389

It looks really interesting but also has an element of "pie in the sky, all talk, no action".

Personally, as a resident of the East End, I'm excited to see some interest in rejuvenating this area.

Hello all,

So has anyone seen a time line for this Livable Centers/Strategic Vision? I saw a ABC-13 remote van/truck in Guadalupe Park last evening and they have a story on their website.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=...&id=6866389

It looks really interesting but also has an element of "pie in the sky, all talk, no action".

Personally, as a resident of the East End, I'm excited to see some interest in rejuvenating this area.

Good news for the East End. The area is ripe for revitalization.

• 4 months later...

Just curious. Noticed lots of townhomes going up on either side of Commerce on that stretch.

I imagine that has to pretty much suck, living 30' ft away from a track. Even if its a no horn zone, that has to suck.

The trains that traverse Commerce Street are very infrequent. I know that they use it because I've seen rolling stock appear and disappear further down the spur, but I've never actually seen it in use.

The bulk of those townhomes (Waterhill and Tricon) back up to tracks that are used multiple times per hour, it often seems like. Those are the same tracks that go past Canal Place Apartments and the Alexan Lofts. It's no quiet zone, yet for whatever reason these tracks are a magnet for large-scale residential development.

The bulk of those townhomes (Waterhill and Tricon) back up to tracks that are used multiple times per hour, it often seems like. Those are the same tracks that go past Canal Place Apartments and the Alexan Lofts. It's no quiet zone, yet for whatever reason these tracks are a magnet for large-scale residential development.

Up at the main tracks, Commerce at St Charles. Yeah, I can see how that would be 100x worse.

Good to hear the industry spur on Commerce is barely used. The specific townhomes i was referring to are Commerce at Ennis. However, it even seems more obtrusive to have the tracks going down the middle of the street that you have to use to get to your house every day.

Tracks behind your back fence are one thing... Tracks right outside your front door.. wow.. guess thats a no-kid zone.

Archived