My New Project

I like the more squared architecture we've been seeing for the past 5-10 years or so. I think it will be a very definable style of this era in the years to come. The roof terrace is also a nice feature that I am sure we'll be seeing lots more of in that townhouse ring around downtown where there are skyline views.

Not a knock but I'm going to have to mentally call this project the Five Koalas. :) That's the first thing I see when I look at the rendering.

The roof terrace is also a nice feature that I am sure we'll be seeing lots more of in that townhouse ring around downtown where there are skyline views.

Well they better hope noone builds a taller complex between these units and Downtown. A good friend of mine and his wife live in a complex over there and they also had views til a taller complex was built across the street. They are both pissed.

Well they better hope noone builds a taller complex between these units and Downtown. A good friend of mine and his wife live in a complex over there and they also had views til a taller complex was built across the street. They are both pissed.

That's the danger when buying early in an area in a development cycle. Maybe it's quick karma in some cases where a townhouse goes up next to a small bungalow blocking its light only to have the same thing happen to it by another taller townhome.

So the bungalows got dwarfed by the 2 stories, which are getting dwarfed by the 3 stories, which will be.....it's sort of a developmental dance to the sky, a floor fandango.

At this rate, we should see residential skyscrapers in the first ring surrounding DT in 10 years or less. :mellow:

Certainly there is a risk with something taller being built but these units should stand on there own in my opinion. The roof top terrace really ends up being your yard space. I don't have floor plans available for view right now but should soon.

What are you using for the exterior? Is it a mix of brick and hardi-plank? And do you have any floorplans available for viewing?

Yes, its brick and hardi.

they are pissed? At who? They had to have known that was a possibility?

I think that if 3 stories are built the units still might have a view from the terrace?

they are pissed? At who? They had to have known that was a possibility?

I think that if 3 stories are built the units still might have a view from the terrace?

no i agree that is always a possbility. guess maybe if it is pushed in the advertising that they thought it was guaranteed. Kind of like the new condo tower on montrose that blocked the view of the older one.

I like the more squared architecture we've been seeing for the past 5-10 years or so. I think it will be a very definable style of this era in the years to come. The roof terrace is also a nice feature that I am sure we'll be seeing lots more of in that townhouse ring around downtown where there are skyline views.

Not a knock but I'm going to have to mentally call this project the Five Koalas. :) That's the first thing I see when I look at the rendering.

Good call Danax, I didn't have my mind in imagination mode the first time I looked at the rendering, I went back as soon as I read your post. That is DEAD ON ! The Five Koalas :wub: jscarbor.........."PRINT IT !" :lol:

btw: I bet those are all Eucalyptis trees out in front there.

Good call Danax, I didn't have my mind in imagination mode the first time I looked at the rendering, I went back as soon as I read your post. That is DEAD ON ! The Five Koalas :wub: jscarbor.........."PRINT IT !" :lol:

btw: I bet those are all Eucalyptis trees out in front there.

I don't see it? Koalas? I say they look better than just about anything over in that area for under $300K?Of course I am a little bias aren't I?

That's the danger when buying early in an area in a development cycle. Maybe it's quick karma in some cases where a townhouse goes up next to a small bungalow blocking its light only to have the same thing happen to it by another taller townhome.

So the bungalows got dwarfed by the 2 stories, which are getting dwarfed by the 3 stories, which will be.....it's sort of a developmental dance to the sky, a floor fandango.

I had a friend how bought one in that area and an empty lot stood for a year, fast forward and he lost his view of downtown.

They should advertise that it is a temporary view of downtown, especially when a prime empty lot is next door.

I don't see it? Koalas? I say they look better than just about anything over in that area for under $300K?Of course I am a little bias aren't I?

34fmrsn.jpg44ryauc.jpg

Are TJ and I are the only ones with minds deranged enough to see it?

I think there will be a strong subminial cute factor at work here which could result in a high level of attraction to the female homebuyer. Obviously that wasn't your intent but, if it had been, you couldn't have come up with a better creature to use to acheive that. They won't be able to resist and won't exactly know what hit em! They'll be wondering why they have the uncontrollable urge to throw shrimps on the barbie up on the terraces while chugging Fosters.

You've unwittingly embarked on a psychological marketing experiment. Let us know JS if women indeed flock to buy here.

Quirky is Houston's forte so these have a chance to become minor East End landmarks over time if others see the koalas. Who knows, animal-themed architecture might even catch on. There are some on McKinney right now that I have been calling dogs for months. The location should turn out to be right in the thick of things too as that area densifies.

The place will be a real zoo in a few years.

34fmrsn.jpg44ryauc.jpg

I think there will be a strong subminial cute factor at work here which could result in a high level of attraction to the female homebuyer. Obviously that wasn't your intent but, if it had been, you couldn't have come up with a better creature to use to acheive that. They won't be able to resist and won't exactly know what hit em! They'll be wondering why they have the uncontrollable urge to throw shrimps on the barbie up on the terraces while chugging Fosters.

You've unwittingly embarked on a psychological marketing experiment. Let us know JS if women indeed flock to buy here.

Quirky is Houston's forte so these have a chance to become minor East End landmarks over time if others see the koalas. Who knows, animal-themed architecture might even catch on. There are some on McKinney right now that I have been calling dogs for months. The location should turn out to be right in the thick of things too as that area densifies.

I am actually trying to attract more females since I have only sold 20% of my places to women. So, maybe I will rename these the outback koala lofts. I will put in a keg cooler with a keg of fosters and a big ol grill built into the patio.

34fmrsn.jpg44ryauc.jpg

Ummm, I see the resemblances ---so no you and TJ are not the only ones with minds deranged!

I am actually trying to attract more females since I have only sold 20% of my places to women. So, maybe I will rename these the outback koala lofts. I will put in a keg cooler with a keg of fosters and a big ol grill built into the patio.

All kidding aside, Koala Lofts might actually be good.

Ummm, I see the resemblances ---so no you and TJ are not the only ones with minds deranged!

Welcome to the club, luzr, and I'm not surprised.. ;)

• 6 months later...

Finally getting started on this project. I hope to bring some pictures of progress during construction. I am really excited about what we are going to offer here. They aren't cheap but I am pretty sure they will be the most well built, nicest townhomes in the area. We have the forms up and the plumber in. Maybe pour foundations next week.

Finally getting started on this project. I hope to bring some pictures of progress during construction. I am really excited about what we are going to offer here. They aren't cheap but I am pretty sure they will be the most well built, nicest townhomes in the area. We have the forms up and the plumber in. Maybe pour foundations next week.

How's the noise factor over there? being that it's close to the railroad track. we live on the other side and always hear that darn horn during the middle of the night.

I think they are pretty nice.

I see the Koala resemblence also, the big center window looks like the nose and the two outside ones look like the eyes and then it looks like ears on both sides of the balcony. Pretty good imagination!

• 3 months later...
Is the the same jscarbor from Chowhounds?

Yes, food is my passion, homebuilding is a means to pay for my passion.=) I like egullet more but noone posts in Texas on that site.

PS Don't think I have seen much of you on chowhound.

I think they are pretty nice.

I see the Koala resemblence also, the big center window looks like the nose and the two outside ones look like the eyes and then it looks like ears on both sides of the balcony. Pretty good imagination!

The way you explain it is good, I kind of see it that way.

Anyway, after a long time in the making we will finally be framing in the next week or two. Once framing starts we should really go pretty fast.

Since these have flat roofs would Tech Shield work on them? Is there a way(would you want to) vent the attic?

• 2 months later...

They're looking good, js. They really caught my eye just driving along, especially with that camera pushcart deal out front....now I know what happened to the robot on Lost In Space :) . And, they look a little less koala-like with the undivided picture windows. :(

25tkaip.jpg

Trying to be positive and upbeat on the appearance, but I just cannot. The WALD sign in back gives away the exact location. Only a single person or couple could possibly feel ok in this area. Only for it's proximity to downtown could a person benefit from this local. This is the epitome of what the term warehouse district means. This has been factory and warehouse shipping and receiving digs for decades. Could it be possible they could at least incorporate a tennis court or playground within this prison-like building? A small tower on top is all it needs to hurl canon balls from and a moat. Serious people, it's plain jane as it gets. Greenery? Wait until you see the local crowds. City bus runs right in front too. No nearby grocery stores either. I have to end positive.

Some fantastic landscaping and foliage will give this jewel a dazzling effect! :)

Vertigo your ranting and raving again and quite frankly it's just more stupid drivel.

Change Happens as witnessed by the photo's of Carbors project. Add to Carbor's project all the other new development going on around there and this is the place to be. It is a great feeling to drive through a run down neighborhood or close in industrial neighborhood such as this and see new buildings going up, things happening, people moving in and coming out of the wood work. Sure there is a little bit of danger and crime but you can find that anywhere and it will only lessen as the area becomes nicer and receives new residents.

Warehouses make a great medium to create new livings spaces. Of course Houston Pavilions, Discovery Green, and other projects help too!!!

Regards,

Scharpe St Guy

Trying to be positive and upbeat on the appearance, but I just cannot. The WALD sign in back gives away the exact location. Only a single person or couple could possibly feel ok in this area. Only for it's proximity to downtown could a person benefit from this local. This is the epitome of what the term warehouse district means. This has been factory and warehouse shipping and receiving digs for decades. Could it be possible they could at least incorporate a tennis court or playground within this prison-like building? A small tower on top is all it needs to hurl canon balls from and a moat. Serious people, it's plain jane as it gets. Greenery? Wait until you see the local crowds. City bus runs right in front too. No nearby grocery stores either. I have to end positive.

Some fantastic landscaping and foliage will give this jewel a dazzling effect! :)

Warehouses make a great medium to create new livings spaces. Of course Houston Pavilions, Discovery Green, and other projects help too!!!

Not only that, but warehouses are usually closed in the evenings, so transitioning into a residential nabe is more gentle, as opposed to starting from an entrenched bulldog and beer bottle scene. There are some trains to contend with but, other than that, and a few hundred nearby homeless, the place seems unoffensive to me.

Just when I thought you were becoming a civilized human being you drop back to the stone age mentality. Geez.

Sharpe st whatever, you cant assume that everyone on this forum is a flipper or as they used to call it a "carpetbagger" just here to make profit. Try checking out today'ss important subject ...

What do you think Haif is about?

What I'm stating is that you cannot attack comments assuming we are botching your sales or rental properties. What have I possibly to gain from such tactics? There are several others on this forum that are totally aware of some of the cheap quick patch up jobs you and others do on the older homes nearby. $10.00 dollar windows? I mean really. I have complimented you in the past for at least trying to bring in new blood to the nabe, however it is only out of self profit and theres nothing noble atbout that at all.

They call it "self-interest"

My comments are usually in jest or to be upbeat. Those like you "Einstein" wanna-be's are just way to serious. Maybe I just see life as being short and making the best of it. :P

For all reading, If you were to move into an new city, wouldnt you appreicate the fact that someone is only offering helpful advise? You would understand if you had family ie; children I'm sure. I am not in this for the money period.

This topic in particular, I could have said. "Everyone this is a nice upscale and wonderful area to live in! Get these beautiful homes while you can! There are great Ivey League schools with minutes! Great views of the downtown skyline, etc.

but that's misleading and false advertising.

Sharpe st just click "ignore user' so you wont have to see my notes anymore, that simple.

What a prude. Your snobbery belongs in River Oaks, not in Near East End Oaks? :wacko:

Archived