Clear Lake Move In

Guest Plastic

As you might know I'm planning to move. I'm trying to decide where to buy a house. Katy was my 1st choice,Northwest my second, and Clear Lake my third.

Plenty, of water, NASA, Baybrook Mall,The Gulf Freeway, and other attractions make Clear Lake livable. I want a nice new neigborhood, with lots of liberals, parties,and diversity. The other 2 options had lots of offices not far. I know of no business districts or office parks around CLear Lake or Southeast.

Give you love or rant about Clear lake.

BTW, why isn't Clear Lake clear?

where do you work? is your commute a factor at all?

i don't know about lots of parties in clear lake, i found it dull in general, which is why i moved to midtown.

and Clear Lake isn't clear, and its not even a lake. its connected to the bay, so its the same color. full of mud from runoff.

As you might know I'm planning to move. I'm trying to decide where to buy a house. Katy was my 1st choice,Northwest my second, and Clear Lake my third.

Plenty, of water, NASA, Baybrook Mall,The Gulf Freeway, and other attractions make Clear Lake livable. I want a nice new neigborhood, with lots of liberals, parties,and diversity. The other 2 options had lots of offices not far. I know of no business districts or office parks around CLear Lake or Southeast.

There are buisness districts/officer parks around clear lake. Traffic is horrible.

I absolutely LOVE living out here!!!!! I have lived out here since returning to Houston from St. Louis in 1990 and fell in love with the area. When I lived in Houston previously, I was raised in Park Place and married and lived in Glenbrook Valley. I moved into a brand new subdivision, and I love the peace and quiet and safety that we have out here. Of course, the subdivision is no longer new, but the trees have grown, and we have such beautiful things around here. Clear Lake is gorgeous and is blue - and man-made. There is Kemah (not the commercial one), Seabrook and Galveston for the water and party lovers. We have everything that anyone could ever want out here. Yes, there is a little traffic, and if you have to commute downtown, either take the bus or get a chauffeur - but other than that, I absolutely wouldn't trade Clear Lake for ANYTHING!!!

I HEART CLEAR LAKE!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I absolutely LOVE living out here!!!!! I have lived out here since returning to Houston from St. Louis in 1990 and fell in love with the area. When I lived in Houston previously, I was raised in Park Place and married and lived in Glenbrook Valley. I moved into a brand new subdivision, and I love the peace and quiet and safety that we have out here. Of course, the subdivision is no longer new, but the trees have grown, and we have such beautiful things around here. Clear Lake is gorgeous and is blue - and man-made. There is Kemah (not the commercial one), Seabrook and Galveston for the water and party lovers. We have everything that anyone could ever want out here. Yes, there is a little traffic, and if you have to commute downtown, either take the bus or get a chauffeur - but other than that, I absolutely wouldn't trade Clear Lake for ANYTHING!!!

I HEART CLEAR LAKE!!!!

I have never seen Clear Lake blue...muddy green at best. it is prettiest at night, when you can see all the lights and can't see the color....then you can imagine it being blue during the day.

Bay Oaks is the best neighborhood in the area and probably in the whole Houston area. Very country club atmosphere. Homes start around 400K up to around 2 million. One of the best golf courses in the area. Very quiet and family-oriented area, not a whole lot of excitement though. None of that suburban urbanization has really hit Clear Lake yet. I'd like to see something start up though. They should build more housing around Baybrook for the urbanites who have to work in the area like me. There really is none at all except for apartments. I think some upscale condos or townhomes by Baybrook would sell like hotcakes.

• 1 month later...

I'm moving from the Heights to Clear Lake to get away from the crime in my neighborhood and lessen the commute. I lived there in an apartment ~5 years ago.

I enjoy that the water is close, that people keep their property looking nice, and that you can have any type of neighborhood you want - from custom homes on wooded lots to homes on the water with boat docks. It is pretty peaceful down there but I wouldn't call it 'sleepy'....there are actually a good number of young people who work down at JSC/NASA and over in Baytown who live in those neighborhoods. Clear Lake City proper doesn't have any new construction, while Seabrook and further south (SH 96) are being developed rapidly.

I agree that the traffic is pretty bad, but I don't have another suburb to compare it to. It is certainly worse than traffic in the heights. Probably not as bad as traffic in the med center.

When I was looking to buy the neighborhoods I considered were: Brookwood, Bay Forest, Pine Brook and Bay Oaks. We were going for the 'wooded lot' feel...and I wanted to be in Clear lake city and away from the new construction (for resale). I'd get with a realtor specific to the area to tell you about the schools, etc. Even if you don't have kids, the schools are important for resale.

I think all neighborhoods in greater Houston are pretty diverse, but I'm not sure you'd find a lot of folks screaming 'hey I'm a liberal!' on the corners in any suburb. Agree that you'd be best of in Montrose if that interested you...

I'm moving from the Heights to Clear Lake to get away from the crime in my neighborhood and lessen the commute. I lived there in an apartment ~5 years ago.

I enjoy that the water is close, that people keep their property looking nice, and that you can have any type of neighborhood you want - from custom homes on wooded lots to homes on the water with boat docks. It is pretty peaceful down there but I wouldn't call it 'sleepy'....there are actually a good number of young people who work down at JSC/NASA and over in Baytown who live in those neighborhoods. Clear Lake City proper doesn't have any new construction, while Seabrook and further south (SH 96) are being developed rapidly.

I agree that the traffic is pretty bad, but I don't have another suburb to compare it to. It is certainly worse than traffic in the heights. Probably not as bad as traffic in the med center.

When I was looking to buy the neighborhoods I considered were: Brookwood, Bay Forest, Pine Brook and Bay Oaks. We were going for the 'wooded lot' feel...and I wanted to be in Clear lake city and away from the new construction (for resale). I'd get with a realtor specific to the area to tell you about the schools, etc. Even if you don't have kids, the schools are important for resale.

I think all neighborhoods in greater Houston are pretty diverse, but I'm not sure you'd find a lot of folks screaming 'hey I'm a liberal!' on the corners in any suburb. Agree that you'd be best of in Montrose if that interested you...

Why didn't you consider Brookwood or better yet, Brooforest? We live in Northfork, have lived here since 1991, and we love it. Hope you enjoy your new home. Which subdivision did you end up buying in?

I personally feel that Clear Lake offers TONS of possiblities for the future...even tho the past to right now isn't all that.

THe pros: Its near the Bay and offers the feel of a seaside community.

Lots of seafood restaurants in the area. Fairly close ot galveston

The cons: Too suburbian not seaside enough...Not ecclectic enough. Too far out from corporate centers of downtown, galleria, westchase, etc...too many suburbian restaurants...not enough of an identity...

I think Clear Lake has super potential with the future. I believe the high-rise condo that is going in quite possibly will push other people to build condos on the lake and the bay...that should change the identity of the area.

I think CL should really push to attract some major corporate buildings in the area...High rise office buildings w/be IMO very attractive to the area...

CL is about 10-20 years away from being something special likely...

My parents still live in Clear Lake (Bay Oaks) and i was down there this past weekend. I still have some sentimental connection since I grew up there and I do like the actual lake/ waterfront area, but my god the traffic there has gotten ridiculous. Not so much in the areas where the subdivisions lie, but in getting down Bay Area/ HWY3, to the mall and what not - I could not believe it. It felt worse than the Galleria area around 5 on a Friday. And they've built more arteries to try and ease up the congestion, but it still gets pretty bad. Plus, in terms of restaurants, I just don't see a whole lot that I would consider to be much more than average. I understand its a suburb and different stokes for different folks, but with the surrounding areas to continue to have construction, I just couldn't deal with the traffic and distance from the rest of Houston (unless I worked immediately in the area).

I didn't buy, I'm renting a home. It took FOREVER for me to sell my heights home, and I didn't want to get into that again.

I really like Brookwood, but didn't consider brook forest. Homes are a little older. I wanted less maintenance.

As for Clear Lake restaraunts, I think there are some good options:

*Perry's steakhouse and Perry's italian

*Thai Cottage is tasty, Thai Seafood is a bit better and more authentic

*Angelos has some nice lunch specials

*Joe Lee's (on 2094) is good seafood, if a little on the 'no frills' side

*Topwater grill in San Leon...just fantastic...y'all have to check that out

*There's a restaraunt in waterford harbor I hit for lunch one day...gosh what is the name...looks out on all the docked sailboats. Great food.

*T-bone Toms...in the non commercial section of Kemah...good for some BBQ if you can handle the traffic

*Tookie's...simply the best burgers

I could go on.

For bars, I like the laid back scene, so I enjoy Boondoggles or Molly's. Papasito's is good for a tidal wave margarita. Certainly not the place to go clubbing, but I'm not into that much anymore.

Anyway....since my commute will be 7 minutes vs. 1 hour each direction, i'm excited about the move. I think that living in a suburb is all what you make it...if you choose to eat at all the chains, then it won't be interesting. Takes a bit more exploring than in the loop, but there are some great places.

Hokieone - avoid Bay Area and Nasa 1 like the plauge. from bay oaks, go south on space center and turn right on bay area, then make a left on saturn. You can then turn right on gemini / hercules / medical center and take it all the way to 45.

I take el dorado coming from 45. The least conjested road in the mornings.

Go Hokies! (I'm class of 2000)

I didn't buy, I'm renting a home. It took FOREVER for me to sell my heights home, and I didn't want to get into that again.

I really like Brookwood, but didn't consider brook forest. Homes are a little older. I wanted less maintenance.

As for Clear Lake restaraunts, I think there are some good options:

*Perry's steakhouse and Perry's italian

*Thai Cottage is tasty, Thai Seafood is a bit better and more authentic

*Angelos has some nice lunch specials

*Joe Lee's (on 2094) is good seafood, if a little on the 'no frills' side

*Topwater grill in San Leon...just fantastic...y'all have to check that out

*There's a restaraunt in waterford harbor I hit for lunch one day...gosh what is the name...looks out on all the docked sailboats. Great food.

*T-bone Toms...in the non commercial section of Kemah...good for some BBQ if you can handle the traffic

*Tookie's...simply the best burgers

I could go on.

For bars, I like the laid back scene, so I enjoy Boondoggles or Molly's. Papasito's is good for a tidal wave margarita. Certainly not the place to go clubbing, but I'm not into that much anymore.

Anyway....since my commute will be 7 minutes vs. 1 hour each direction, i'm excited about the move. I think that living in a suburb is all what you make it...if you choose to eat at all the chains, then it won't be interesting. Takes a bit more exploring than in the loop, but there are some great places.

Hokieone - avoid Bay Area and Nasa 1 like the plauge. from bay oaks, go south on space center and turn right on bay area, then make a left on saturn. You can then turn right on gemini / hercules / medical center and take it all the way to 45.

I take el dorado coming from 45. The least conjested road in the mornings.

Go Hokies! (I'm class of 2000)

You are right about Angelo's and Thai Seafood, both establishments I've been to many a times when I am down in CL.

I should know the back routes around Clear Lake to skip traffic better than I do, but I'm a little rusty.

If you work down there, then I agree it makes perfect sense to make the move. I always was a fan of Bay Forest too, the side with the custome homes.

Go Hokies! (I was class of 2002)

• 2 weeks later...
California, i'm thinking of moving htere. Is it opposite Texas where there are majority liberals in the suburbs.

Man, I wouldnt go crazy with the generalizations. If you really look at CL, it is VERY diverse: A lot of that happens to be because Engineering and science attracts people from many nationalities. And engineering is a huge constituency in this part of Houston. Ive worked out here for 20 years, and all except the last year, lived farther north around Hobby. So I'm here in CL now. I consider it just another part of the city of Houston, because, well, it is. I still make central Houston my partying place, oh, about half the time we feel like going out. But there is plenty of nice things to do in CL also. I also make the bay area my partying place too, and there are plenty of watering holes that me, the wife, and my freinds frequent. It's all about the people you hang out with. You can hang around dull people in any part of the city if that's what does it for you. You can hang out with conservatives and liberals in any part of the city also. That's the bottom line.

This is coming from a person who used to loathe Clear Lake: I used to say to myself "Ill never live here." But I just kinda noticed after commuting here for so many years that, hey, its actually pretty slick here. And it's a pretty damn nice place to raise kids on top of that, just like any other part of Houston that may also be nice to raise kids. Maybe I just grew up or something.

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Clear Lake Move In

Archived