Anderson Todd houses

Jersey01

I've repeatedly heard of a house that Anderson Todd built for himself. I'm told Philip Johnson called it "more Mies than Mies!" I'm familiar with the Todd designed house on Shadowlawn. Is this the one that he designed for himself? It mentions nothing of this being his own house in the Houston Arch Guide. The one thing that I with the guide also included is an index by architect. That would be nice.

I'm pretty sure that 9 Shadowlawn is the "More Mies than Mies" house. I think I read that somewhere, possibly the "Johnson and Texas" book. This is one house that I would love to see inside, and would be disappointed if I didn't find some kind of Mies designed furniture inside! Ha Ha.

Check out his other "Guide Houses" at 1828 Dunstan (1970) and 1932 Bolsover (1994). They are close together and also near the museum and 9 Shadowlawn. 2 Waverly Ct. and 1638 Banks are also cool MCM houses in the area.

Anderson Todd was part of the committee that helped bring Mies to Houston to design the Museum.

I have a book called THE MUSEUM OF FINE ARTS, HOUSTON - AN ARCHITECTURAL HISTORY 1924-1986 that has a really great picture of Mies sitting on a Barcelona Chair smoking a cigar while Anderson Todd sits next to him on a marble top Barcelona Table. I always wonder if they still have the very same chairs in the Museum now (that Mies sat on) or if they have been replaced at some point.

Jason

I've repeatedly heard of a house that Anderson Todd built for himself. I'm told Philip Johnson called it "more Mies than Mies!" I'm familiar with the Todd designed house on Shadowlawn. Is this the one that he designed for himself? It mentions nothing of this being his own house in the Houston Arch Guide. The one thing that I with the guide also included is an index by architect. That would be nice.

I would hope this house has some Miesian furniture. I have an architect friend that confirmed that this was the Todd house and that as far as he knows, Mrs. Todd still lives there. If that is the case it is highly possible that this house is maintained as original, which I love. This is a great house and I especially love the way it is situated on it's property. I also really love it when mods are located unassumingly in neighborhoods that are mostly traditional and historic.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived