TESCO - Supersite Near Downtown

enviromain

Does anyone know the status on the NPL supersite where former Texas Electric Steel Casting Co. (steel foundary) resided for over half a century?

Sometime this year in some type of publication, I recall reading an article referring to the former TESCO area in the 5th Ward. My interpretation of the article implied an idea involving futuristic plans for the land post environmental restoration. Does anyone have the article or have additional info such as plans and dates regarding this area?

Thanks!

here's the EPA site with the information, listed under "Many Diversified Interests, Inc."

http://www.epa.gov/earth1r6/6sf/pdffiles/0605008.pdf

The EPA is currently planning a Remedial Investigation and Feasibility Study (RI/FS) for Operable Unit

(OU) 3 (Residential Crawlspaces and Those Residential Areas Not Addressed Under Operable Unit 2) of

the Site. The purpose of the RI/FS is to determine the nature and extent of contamination and to gather

sufficient information about the Site to support an informed risk management decision regarding which

remedy is the most appropriate for the Site.

The EPA completed a Removal Action at the Kelly Village Housing Complex in April 2006. Leadcontaminated

soils were removed from six (6) inches below the ground surface from the northeastern

portion of the housing complex located adjacent to Gregg Street in the

Thanks for your info! I apologize for not wording my question correctly. I'm trying to find out what MDI has in store for it after the RFI's and environmental restoration. It seems like it was a park or mall or something significant. I can't remember. Did you read that article in the paper about a year ago?

My info is sketchy......but that's all I have.....

Is this the same area where the new housing development is/has taken place?

Absolutely not a new housing development. The site I am referring to is a Superfund Site listed as one of the top companies in the National Priority List for hazardous comtamination sites. TESCO began foundary operations in the 1920's and contributed to war supplies by steel casting tank parts and more. Unfortunately for various reasons, this site became contaminated. I'm not so sure the contamination came directly from TESCO operations.

i remember reading something about it...this is what i could dig up from the chronicle:

Fifth Ward Investments signed a contract Tuesday to buy a 36-acre Superfund site east of downtown for $7.9 million.

The Fifth Ward entity, led by local developer Frank Liu, was the only group to attend Tuesday's auction of the property, a former foundry that later fell into bankruptcy.

The deal is expected to close within 60 days. The buyer will be charged with cleaning up the contaminated property, at 3617 Baer. The remediation cost, estimated at $6.6 million, is included in the sales price.

In 1999, the city of Houston used a $100,000 federal grant to study how the site should be used. The results called for a mix of uses, including housing and retail.

The Museum of Cultural Arts Houston also created its own redevelopment plan for the property. The group's concept includes mixed-income housing, a public park, retail space, a business incubator and a community center.

To educate the families that live in the area, the group began a community awareness program last year called Project Grow. Students painted murals that now line the perimeter of the MDI site.

and most recently:

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=2006_4142186

Still, Fifth Ward Super Neighborhood President Barbara Miller told the handful of residents gathered to discuss the site that she along with Adams have been asked by city officials and Frank Lui, who leads Clinton Gregg Investment, to help find out what the community wants.

"He's listening to us," Miller said. "Let's not fight that. We've been asked to have a say, and we're going to have a say. They are interested in us being a part of this decision."

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 6 years later...

Archived