METRORail Purple Line

Houstonian in Iraq

Looks to me that they are really protesting the LRT in general and using the tree so that they have a focal point for their protest.

And they're latecomers to the party. METRO has stakeholder meetings every month and that would seem to be the sensible forum for their concerns. I also don't understand the safety argument. If kids can manage to stay out of the way of cars then the train shouldn't be a problem at all.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I drive and ride my bike down leeland to get downtown fairly often, I get to see a snapshot view of scott street upgrades as a result of the rail install.

a few weeks ago they were in the process of paving over the median.

yesterday as I crossed scott, I saw that they have the two northbound lanes repositioned onto the former median and are doing work on the east side of the road. there are also barriers and lane closures on leeland for about 100 yards before you get to scott street in both directions.

I'll try to remember to pack my camera with me next time I travel in that direction and snap some photos for a better update.

I'm going to (try to) do a complete photo layout of the south east route this weekend, it's going to be interesting considering where the route is going to take it before it hits scott.

Any suggestions on how to go about it? I was simply planning on going from the south towards the north.

BTW: can anyone catch the construction over at TCH? It will be a good opportunity to see how they do the bridge.

Additionally, I saw crane tower sections being brought into downtown earlier this week, so there might be a crane raising this weekend as well. :)

I'm going to (try to) do a complete photo layout of the south east route this weekend, it's going to be interesting considering where the route is going to take it before it hits scott.

Any suggestions on how to go about it? I was simply planning on going from the south towards the north.

Do it on a bike. That's how I took these in September.

http://picasaweb.goo...dors21Sept2009#

Construction is obviously much further along now. Among all three lines there are HUNDREDS of workers on the ground every day.

Do it on a bike. That's how I took these in September.

http://picasaweb.goo...dors21Sept2009#

Construction is obviously much further along now. Among all three lines there are HUNDREDS of workers on the ground every day.

Forgot that you took those, you should like them onto the respective posts so we can easily access them and we can just take pics as the changes occur.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Figured I'd post up the photos as of today on the construction: Warning, LOTS of photos.

Even after looking at the PDF files, I still can't picture what the route is, so I kinda' winged it a bit.

060.jpg

061.jpg

062.jpg

063.jpg

064.jpg

065.jpg

Is it really going to go between these two buildings??

066.jpg

067.jpg

This is where it is supposed to turn onto Scott.

068.jpg

069.jpg

070.jpg

071.jpg

072.jpg

073.jpg

075.jpg

076.jpg

077.jpg

079.jpg

080.jpg

081.jpg

083.jpg

085.jpg

087.jpg

This is the controversial MLK tree? You'd figure they would have built something more substantial around before the rail was even an idea if they cared that much about it about it so much.

089.jpg

090.jpg

091.jpg

092.jpg

093.jpg

094.jpg

095.jpg

096.jpg

097.jpg

This is the current state of the "Rail Barn". Kinda' wonder when they're going to get around to converting it.

098.jpg

099.jpg

Oh yeah, this is directly across the street from it. Should be interesting to see what it will turn into about 10 yrs or so.

• 8 months later...

First off, this is probably a business that is going to do quite well because of the construction of the lines AND the stadium. I wish this business well.th_P1010431.jpg

Going down Texas, towards the bend at Scott shows little evidence of progress, but I did notice that parts of the trail is closed. I'm wondering the rail is going to be adjacent or replace the trail in that section.

th_P1010432.jpg

th_P1010433.jpg

th_P1010434.jpg

th_P1010435.jpg

th_P1010436.jpg

th_P1010438.jpg

Bedbugs or Termites?

th_P1010440.jpg

Looking down scott, new pavement has been put down and traffic switched while they work on the other side.

th_P1010441.jpg

th_P1010442.jpg

th_P1010443.jpg

Some of the current structures along the line before I-45.

th_P1010444.jpg

th_P1010445.jpg

Passing 45S, you can see how they cleared a considerable amount of land.

th_P1010446.jpg

th_P1010447.jpg

th_P1010448.jpg

A couple of homes near the line. It would be interesting to watch over the years.

th_P1010449.jpg

th_P1010452.jpg

I noticed they totally redid this gas station that only had 4 pumps at one point, and was pretty scary. Now its new AND scary.

th_P1010453.jpg

th_P1010454.jpg

th_P1010455.jpg

This is looking back at Wheeler and scott. Again, little has been done so far.

th_P1010456.jpg

quite a bit of land has been cleared along Wheeler, but I would have thought they would have put it off a bit, considering there were few structures on it.

th_P1010457.jpg

th_P1010458.jpg

There is the MLK tree in the distance. No work from Wheeler @ Calhoun to OST.

th_P1010459.jpg

th_P1010460.jpg

Notice the new construction.

th_P1010461.jpg

th_P1010462.jpg

th_P1010463.jpg

th_P1010464.jpg

th_P1010465.jpg

Is the turn onto Griggs

th_P1010467.jpg

A casualty?

th_P1010469.jpg

th_P1010470.jpg

th_P1010472.jpg

th_P1010473.jpg

didn't notice that complex before...or is my memory that bad?

th_P1010474.jpg

th_P1010475.jpg

th_P1010476.jpg

Here are the two structures from last year. Not even a nibble, apparently.

th_P1010477.jpg

th_P1010480.jpg

Looks like they cleared off the land for their maintenance yard. So I took advantage to get a closer look.

th_P1010481.jpg

This sign made me nervous for some reason.

th_P1010482.jpg

th_P1010483.jpg

• 1 month later...

When does tracks begin to get laid? How long did it take to show on the Main Street Line? I'm driving up Fulton, MLK, Wheeler, etc. and it looks like all they're doing is redoing the streets.

• 1 month later...

Metro will start installing the actual track for the Southeast line tomorrow (July 5, 2011). Here's a couple of pictures that Metro sent over of the tracks being prepared:

post-1-0-50363700-1309813092_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-67771200-1309813111_thumb.jpg

Southeast Line will be the first extension to have rail installed and preparation for that event is getting underway. The track for this section of the new alignment will be welded from 80 foot sections into continuous 480 foot strings and embedded in reinforced concrete which will serve as a foundation for the entire 6.6 mile line.

I guess that answers my question on why the Chevron station that occuppied the median at MLK and OST is gone. I always thought that the wide median was left for a future underpass. Wishfull thinking on my part.

I was at UH on Thursday, and Wheeler between Cullen and Calhoun/MLK is now one way:

DSC_0502.jpg

DSC_0504.jpg

They've also cleared the front of lot 9C away. It looks like they are going to have the road curve around the Cameron Building:

DSC_0505.jpg

DSC_0506.jpg

DSC_0509.jpg

And a good chunk of the new road is finished:

DSC_0507.jpg

DSC_0510.jpg

Awesome! The construction mayhem will be at its peak just in time for the start of the fall semester!

Yeah. They timed the start of the stadium garage perfectly to cause as much disruption as possible to parking at this exact moment. <_<

BTW: I also thought this was a good way to keep track of the changes for people who want to see what it was like (more or less) before the rail went in.

I *love* that idea -- taking a ride through time once the line is completed and there's another (or several) video(s)...

Ricco, I was reaching for my seat belt. You appear to be hauling-ass! :lol:

Believe it or not, the entire trip took a bit over 10 minutes and increased the speed by only 1.5x

It was during the editing process that I realized that I only hit 3 delays driving down that road (lights, trucks, etc).

Now if my camera didn't have overheating issues, I might have been able to do it all in one take, but it wasn't really designed to be a camcorder of sorts. Either way, I'm thrilled with the quality.

• 4 weeks later...

Got this in the e-mail yesterday

---------------------------------------

post-1-0-31144400-1313158235_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-79915600-1313158245_thumb.jpg

Light Rail Blazes Forth Despite Temperatures

Blistering temperatures couldn’t stop a new and exciting milestone from being observed Wednesday. A crowd of hard-hatted, safety-vested notables endured withering heat to watch construction crews complete an 80-foot bed for light rail track – the first Houston has seen in 10 years. The steel rail near Paige and Rusk, east of downtown, will be part of the 6.6-mile Southeast (Purple) Line. The line, starting near the new Dynamo Stadium will run to Palm Center near the University of Houston Central Campus and is expected to be open in mid-2014.

Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee (D-TX) watched intently as a waiting cement mixer truck released a slurry mix of concrete through an open chute and onto the waiting track-bed. She joined other officials in support of METRO public transit and cited light rail for improved infrastructure and many jobs it brings to the city.

METRO Board Chairman Gilbert Garcia said he was delighted with the progress, "This is an exciting moment and an exciting day for the community and certainly all of us at METRO. It’s been more than 10 years since we laid concrete for rail. We’re happy to be here today to tell everyone - light rail is coming to Houston."

Vice-chair Allen Watson and Board Members Christof Spieler, Gary Stobb and Trinidad “Trini” Mendenhall Sosa as well as George Greanias, president & CEO;

and David Couch, senior vice president of Capital Programs shared Chairman Garcia’s enthusiasm, clapping and giving a thumbs up as the HRT crew spread the lumpy gray mixture sluicing through the frame criss-crossed with rebar. About 1,200 feet of track was prepared with lime for the new concrete slab. A plastic sheet protected the rail from the newly poured concrete, which will take a few days to dry. Once cured, the sheet will be removed and the track slab completed. The last time METRO poured concrete for new light-rail track was for the Main Street Red Line in September 2001.

The Southeast (Purple) Line is 6.6 miles long and will connect downtown to Palm Center. Destinations include downtown, MacGregor Park, Texas Southern University and UH Central Campus. Stations are at Smith, Fannin, Crawford, Bastrop, Leeland, Elgin, Scott/Cleburne, Wheeler/MLK, MacGregor Park and Palm Center. For more information visit ridemetro.org

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

As they continue to build this line, I am quite perplexed by something.

As you can see from the picture below:

6865062441_22bab6a4cb_z.jpg

Source

These rails are embedded in concrete. Why?? If this portion of the line is in its own right of way, then why is the line embedded in concrete as if it were in the middle of the street? Why would they opt to do this rather than have regular rails, like the ones between Fannin South and Reliant Park? It seems to me that trains can go faster on regular rails, I'm not sure why they would embed the rails in concrete here. Maybe it's cheaper?

it's all embedded in concrete. it's thick and re-bar is spaced at really close intervals, is very thick, and is not just straight and tied together.

I imagine that it's probably less expensive to maintain over the long term, if not cheaper to install. maybe someone can stop and snap a photo, if they see the track before they pour the concrete.

it's all embedded in concrete. it's thick and re-bar is spaced at really close intervals, is very thick, and is not just straight and tied together.

I imagine that it's probably less expensive to maintain over the long term, if not cheaper to install. maybe someone can stop and snap a photo, if they see the track before they pour the concrete.

Maybe so. But if that's true, then why would they not have them embedded in concrete on the Red Line between Fannin South and Reliant Park stations? I've noticed that trains go considerably faster on this portion of the Red Line as well. As you can see here:

2943957695_48a378b861_z.jpg

Source

These rails aren't embedded at all. Also, in Boston, the Green line's (which is also light rail) rails aren't embedded in concrete either. It seems like this allows for faster speeds as well (for whatever reason). Notice how Boston's Green line runs in the middle of the street as well:

491113854_b44edc6110_z.jpg

Source

I know this isn't really a big deal, I just find it strange.

Archived