Utah Carl

FilioScotia

OK, we seem to be in 50s TV memory lane mode, with a flood tide of memories about Kitirik, Don Mahoney and Jeanna Clare and others. I had my own local favorite, but it wasn't a kid show. It was a weekly show on channel 11 featuring country singer Utah Carl and his group. And don't forget his little boy Carl Junior. Carl's full name was Carl Beach, and he was not your typical local no-talent. Carl was a darn good singer, songwriter and entertainer. A lot of people, including me, loved his show, sponsored by the Gulf Coast Furniture Warehouse on Hwy 35 in Alvin.

Here's a link to a great article about Carl on the Rockabilly Hall of Fame website. http://www.rockabillyhall.com/UtahCarl1.html

• 2 years later...
I remember Utah Carl from when I was a kid, and for all these years I thought the song was "I'm just a wonder of the wasteland".

OK, Who's next - Curly Fox and Texas Ruby?

After hearing the name Utah Carl, the next one I thought of was Curly Fox, lol Last week I found a photo here of Don Red Berry...cowboy actor...who went to elementary school with my dad. My dad told me his real name is (was) Milton Ponboff.

I couldn't believe I found a photo of Berry...I recognized him even after 50 years.

After hearing the name Utah Carl, the next one I thought of was Curly Fox, lol Last week I found a photo here of Don Red Berry...cowboy actor...who went to elementary school with my dad. My dad told me his real name is (was) Milton Ponboff. I couldn't believe I found a photo of Berry...I recognized him even after 50 years.

Actually, his name was Don "Red" Barry. He was indeed from Houston, and he got the nickname "Red" from the years he spent playing Red Ryder in a string of films and serials in the 40s.

Sometime in the 50s Barry became one of John Wayne's "stock company" of actors, and appeared in a lot of Wayne's movies, including The Hellfighters, which was filmed in the Houston area. The Internet Movie Database says his real name was Donald Barry De Acosta.

He was a little guy with a chip on his shoulder and his "attitude" caused him problems his entire life.

Here's a link to his page on the IMDb. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0057983/

Edited by FilioScotia
  • Like 1

I was searching on Google for my grandfather, Utah Carl Beach and came across your posts. It is great to see that he still has fans that are talking about him. Unfortunately, I was a bit young to remember his performances, but I remember many great nights sitting around his house or my great aunt and uncle's house listening to them play and telling great stories. My mom, Sandra and uncle, Carl Jr. have many great stories of their own.

I wish I could find more information about him, but I'm afraid most of it is probably in the film and article archives of the local tv stations and newspapers. I have seen some of his outfits, boots, his guitar and some of his vinyl 45s, but would really like to see some footage of him on tv.

Anyway, thanks for posting. I enjoyed reading your comments.

Frank

I was searching on Google for my grandfather, Utah Carl Beach and came across your posts. It is great to see that he still has fans that are talking about him. Unfortunately, I was a bit young to remember his performances, but I remember many great nights sitting around his house or my great aunt and uncle's house listening to them play and telling great stories. My mom, Sandra and uncle, Carl Jr. have many great stories of their own.

I wish I could find more information about him, but I'm afraid most of it is probably in the film and article archives of the local tv stations and newspapers. I have seen some of his outfits, boots, his guitar and some of his vinyl 45s, but would really like to see some footage of him on tv.Frank

Didn't you see that link I posted up at the top of this thread? It's to a great article about Carl in the Galveston County Daily News. Do I see your name in that story? Down at the bottom where it lists his survivors?

http://www.rockabillyhall.com/UtahCarl1.html

Edited by FilioScotia

Yes, I did. Bill Cherry was writing that article while I was still in Texas just before my grandmother passed away. It was first published in the Galveston Daily News and then Rockabilly picked it up.

It's a genuine pleasure to meet someone related to one of my favorite entertainers. Carl was "top of the line" in local country music and I never missed his TV show.

I wish I could find more information about him, but I'm afraid most of it is probably in the film and article archives of the local tv stations and newspapers. I have seen some of his outfits, boots, his guitar and some of his vinyl 45s, but would really like to see some footage of him on tv.

Anyway, thanks for posting. I enjoyed reading your comments.

Frank

There is a good photo of Utah Carl and a few of his songs featured on the reissue "Complete D Singles Volume 1":

http://www.bear-family.de/cd-dvd-series/co...ook.html?lang=1

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, his name was Don "Red" Barry. He was indeed from Houston, and he got the nickname "Red" from the years he spent playing Red Ryder in a string of films and serials in the 40s.

Sometime in the 50s Barry became one of John Wayne's "stock company" of actors, and appeared in a lot of Wayne's movies, including The Hellfighters, which was filmed in the Houston area. The Internet Movie Database says his real name was Donald Barry De Acosta.

He was a little guy with a chip on his shoulder and his "attitude" caused him problems his entire life.

Thanks for the details on Barry's career. Donald Barry De Acosta? Has just the kind of aristocratic ring a short guy would claim for a name, doesn't it? My Dad always laughed when the told me people's real names eg. Tony Curtis...lol! His acquaintance with Don was personal contact...from elementary school days; I trust he had superior information on Red's real name.

• 9 months later...

Here's a good pic of Utah Carl and the Gulf Coast Playboys in Channel 13 Studios. 1958?

Left to right: Herbie Treece, Utah Carl, Clem Kujawa, Sam Reece, Wiley Barkdull, and George Champion on piano.

utahcarllate50slores.jpg

Hey, Nice photo Don. I was eating at Goode Company Bar-B-Q's Armadillo Palace on Kirby, and noticed a pair of huge boots in the display case along the wall. I was shocked as I looked a little closer, and recognized them as a pair of Utah Carl's black & white eagle boots, with his name on the pull straps. I know these boots, as I had a pair made just like them in Acun~a. I asked the manager about them, and he stated that Jim Goode had bought them at an auction, and confirmed that they were Utah Carl's boots. I don't know what size they were, but they were huge. Carl was 6'6" from what I was told. I loved that show so much, I taught myself to play the guitar, just so I could sing that title song!!! I'm just a wanderer of the wasteland ....

Great story.

Looking at the picture, I doubt Carl was 6'6".

Hey Don, Check out this link, http://governor.state.tx.us/music/tour/pioneers I had to look, and refresh my memory, but in this article it states that Utah Carl was 6'6" tall, and gives his full history. I called an old-timer ( Don't want to say his name without his permission ) who has lived in Alvin, Texas all his life, who knew Utah Carl. He confirmed that he was a tall man, with very big features. He chuckled, and stated that he never measured him, but did stand next to him mnay times. He stated that he would judge him to be about that tall, as he is 6'2" tall, and he stated that Utah Carl was a good bit taller than him, and was really wide, with big hands, and feet. I always wondered what happened to Carl Jr. and why there is very little info about Utah Carl. Interesting trivia!

Hey Don, Check out this link, http://governor.state.tx.us/music/tour/pioneers I had to look, and refresh my memory, but in this article it states that Utah Carl was 6'6" tall, and gives his full history. I called an old-timer ( Don't want to say his name without his permission ) who has lived in Alvin, Texas all his life, who knew Utah Carl. He confirmed that he was a tall man, with very big features. He chuckled, and stated that he never measured him, but did stand next to him mnay times. He stated that he would judge him to be about that tall, as he is 6'2" tall, and he stated that Utah Carl was a good bit taller than him, and was really wide, with big hands, and feet. I always wondered what happened to Carl Jr. and why there is very little info about Utah Carl. Interesting trivia!

Come to think of it, I did talk to someone who knew him, and described him as "a big, tall fellow." But he doesn't appear to be much taller than the rest of the band in the photo. Oh well.

Anybody remember the pianist, George Champion? He played a lot with Bennie Hess as well.

Come to think of it, I did talk to someone who knew him, and described him as "a big, tall fellow." But he doesn't appear to be much taller than the rest of the band in the photo. Oh well.

Anybody remember the pianist, George Champion? He played a lot with Bennie Hess as well.

I agree, the photo is deceiving. Maybe the camera angle, who knows. You're way over my head with George Champion. I heard of the Champion Sisters, but never heard their music. Were George and Bennie local before they, "Made it"?

I agree, the photo is deceiving. Maybe the camera angle, who knows. You're way over my head with George Champion. I heard of the Champion Sisters, but never heard their music. Were George and Bennie local before they, "Made it"?

The Champion Sisters are George Champion's daughters.

George and Bennie were Houston artists. They never "made it big" nationally. Which is meaningless, anyway.

You all may have already seen this, but someone created a MySpace page for my grandfather. There are a few of his songs on there for your listening pleasure and several good photos.

www.myspace.com/utahcarl

Frank,

I think I owe quite a lot to Utah Carl. He is likely the reason that I, my sons, my cousin, all play guitar professionally today.

Utah Carl's sister Willa Wendt was my aunt. She was married to Herb Wendt, my mother's brother. We're all from northern Michigan.

Aunt Willa and Uncle Herb would come north to visit in the summers during the 50s and 60s. They both played guitar, and I'm sure that Uncle Herb's inspiration was from Utah Carl and Aunt Willa. Uncle Herb would sit all of us young nephews and nieces on the porch and sing sad songs like "Ol' Shep" and "Dad Gave My Dog Away" until he had us crying. Despite that, my cousin Kenny Rich and I got guitars at the age of 14 and started playing. Kenny and his band, "My Friends" signed with Motown's Rare Earth label and released a single in the 70s.

Aunt Willa would bring Utah Carl 45s for us. She made many of the clothes he wore while performing. Many of those costumes were still in her closets when she died. She also co-wrote and sang on "Never Meant For Me", Carl's single on the D label. She was immersed in his life it seemed. So I was disappointed that she was not even mentioned in Carl's obituary in the Rockabilly Hall of Fame posting. Nor was his brother George.

My wife and I visited Uncle Herb and Aunt Willa a few times during the late 70s and 80s, right after Carl died. We'd sit up 'til all hours of the morning playing, singing and drinking Buckhorn. George, Roberta, and Jimmy, Johnny and George Jr,. all stopped by. As would my brother Dale, a painter, who lived down there during those years.

Uncle Herb had an 8mm camera and shot a lot of footage of both his family and the Beach family. Aunt Willa gave it to me, just before she died, probably not knowing what it all was. As I reviewed it, most was Beach family stuff. Utah Carl in parades, Utah Carl posing with Ernest Tubb, and Hank Snow (probably coinciding with their visit mentioned in the article), etc.

Those were fun times.

Denny Gramza

Edited by denny gramza

Frank,

I think I owe quite a lot to Utah Carl. He is likely the reason that I, my sons, my cousin, all play guitar professionally today.

Utah Carl's sister Willa Wendt was my aunt. She was married to Herb Wendt, my mother's brother. We're all from northern Michigan.

Aunt Willa and Uncle Herb would come north to visit in the summers during the 50s and 60s. They both played guitar, and I'm sure that Uncle Herb's inspiration was from Utah Carl and Aunt Willa. Uncle Herb would sit all of us young nephews and nieces on the porch and sing sad songs like "Ol' Shep" and "Dad Gave My Dog Away" until he had us crying. Despite that, my cousin Kenny Rich and I got guitars at the age of 14 and started playing. Kenny and his band, "My Friends" signed with Motown's Rare Earth label and released a single in the 70s.

Aunt Willa would bring Utah Carl 45s for us. She made many of the clothes he wore while performing. Many of those costumes were still in her closets when she died. She also co-wrote and sang on "Never Meant For Me", Carl's single on the D label. She was immersed in his life it seemed. So I was disappointed that she was not even mentioned in Carl's obituary in the Rockabilly Hall of Fame posting. Nor was his brother George.

My wife and I visited Uncle Herb and Aunt Willa a few times during the late 70s and 80s, right after Carl died. We'd sit up 'til all hours of the morning playing, singing and drinking Buckhorn. George, Roberta, and Jimmy, Johnny and George Jr,. all stopped by. As would my brother Dale, a painter, who lived down there during those years.

Uncle Herb had an 8mm camera and shot a lot of footage of both his family and the Beach family. Aunt Willa gave it to me, just before she died, probably not knowing what it all was. As I reviewed it, most was Beach family stuff. Utah Carl in parades, Utah Carl posing with Ernest Tubb, and Hank Snow (probably coinciding with their visit mentioned in the article), etc.

Those were fun times.

Denny Gramza

Hello Denny,

What a great post! I know that Utah Carl would be awful proud that you are thankful to him for the musical inspirations. I posted a thread in here, essentially the same, telling that I loved the Utah Carl theme song so much that I taught myself how to play it on a guitar, and had a pair of boots made just like his black and white eagles down in Acuna. I was a real rip-snortin', right-out-of-the-West bronco buster in those days, and I caught the eye of a whole lot of ladies wearin' those boots. I always decked them out with my, "Lucky Halfmoon" spurs, and heel chains that really did, "Jingle, jangle, jingle". Those were the best days, when cattle and cowboys, and real ranches still existed. I would have probably gone on to play guitar pretty seriously, but an old bad bronc put a dustin' on me, and broke my left arm pretty bad when I was a kid. Never could hold the strings to the frets well enough to keep from getting a little reverb, and the wrist would fatigue quickly.

Do you know what happened to Carl Jr.? And, hey, as trivia goes, was Utah Carl really 6'6" tall as they say?

Keep strummin', and thanks for the memories!!

Hello Denny,

What a great post! I know that Utah Carl would be awful proud that you are thankful to him for the musical inspirations. I posted a thread in here, essentially the same, telling that I loved the Utah Carl theme song so much that I taught myself how to play it on a guitar, and had a pair of boots made just like his black and white eagles down in Acuna. I was a real rip-snortin', right-out-of-the-West bronco buster in those days, and I caught the eye of a whole lot of ladies wearin' those boots. I always decked them out with my, "Lucky Halfmoon" spurs, and heel chains that really did, "Jingle, jangle, jingle". Those were the best days, when cattle and cowboys, and real ranches still existed. I would have probably gone on to play guitar pretty seriously, but an old bad bronc put a dustin' on me, and broke my left arm pretty bad when I was a kid. Never could hold the strings to the frets well enough to keep from getting a little reverb, and the wrist would fatigue quickly.

Do you know what happened to Carl Jr.? And, hey, as trivia goes, was Utah Carl really 6'6" tall as they say?

Keep strummin', and thanks for the memories!!

Sorry that you were unable to continue your guitar playing. Sounds like you took that cowboy stuff a little too seriously.

Yes, I'd say Utah Carl was 6'6'. Aunt Willa was quite tall, too.

Don't recall ever meeting Carl Jr., nor do I know anything about his whereabouts. I knew Utah Carl's and Aunt Willa's brother George and his sons, Jimmy, Johnny, and George Jr., as they lived in Aunt Willa's Avenue Q neighborhood in Galveston.

I guess a lot of TV stations had TV cowboys in the 50s. Remember Roger Miller's song, "Kansas City Star"? It was the advent of TV and stations were in need of filling time slots. Those country singer/entertainers of the day were naturals for the opportunity. After-school kids shows here featured; Buck Barry, Deputy Don (who didn't even sing), and Kenny Roberts, a Starday recording artist who somehow ended up here in northern Michigan.

Yes, those were different times.

• 9 months later...

Sorry that you were unable to continue your guitar playing. Sounds like you took that cowboy stuff a little too seriously.

Yes, I'd say Utah Carl was 6'6'. Aunt Willa was quite tall, too.

Don't recall ever meeting Carl Jr., nor do I know anything about his whereabouts. I knew Utah Carl's and Aunt Willa's brother George and his sons, Jimmy, Johnny, and George Jr., as they lived in Aunt Willa's Avenue Q neighborhood in Galveston.

I guess a lot of TV stations had TV cowboys in the 50s. Remember Roger Miller's song, "Kansas City Star"? It was the advent of TV and stations were in need of filling time slots. Those country singer/entertainers of the day were naturals for the opportunity. After-school kids shows here featured; Buck Barry, Deputy Don (who didn't even sing), and Kenny Roberts, a Starday recording artist who somehow ended up here in northern Michigan.

Yes, those were different times.

Denny - It has been quite a while since I have been on this site so I am just getting around to seeing your message. It is great to hear from you about the influence that my grandfather and Uncle Herb had on you musically. I too remember many a Saturday nights hanging out at Aunt Willa (we called her Aunt Wauve) and Uncle Herb(ie)'s house on Ave Q with my grandfather and the rest of my family listening to them play until the wee hours of the morning. It is really sad that after my grandfather passed away, our families lost that cohesiveness. I don't recall us all getting together on many occasions after his death. Those truly were the good ole days.

Unfortunately, none of the grandkids on our side picked up music. I played piano for a little while, but ended up dropping it and concentrated more on sports. My brother Troy and my Uncle Carl Jr.'s kids, CJ and Tracy don't play either. I really wish I would have stuck with it. My mom still has my grandfather's guitar. Fortunately, my oldest son loves playing the guitar, so I really look forward to the day that I can hand down the guitar to him.

I remember all of the clothes. They were quite impressive. Aunt Willa was definitely a huge fan. I understand your sentiments regarding Willa and Herb not being mentioned in Bill Cherry's article. I am really not sure why that was. I know Bill gathered facts from many sources including my grandmother and Carl Jr.'s wife, Pat, so I am sure that they would have mentioned them during the process.

As for Carl Jr., he lives in Texas City on the same street as my parents. I was just down there in July to visit. Carl is doing very well and it was great seeing him.

I'm not sure if you have moved the 8mm films to any other media format, but I'd be interested in paying for copies if you still have them.

Thanks again for the message. It was great to hear about the common threads in our lives.

Frank

I was around 8 and remember Utah Carl very well, also remember he would say "Ah pick it Herbie". Some place in the back of my mind I remember a commercial with Milk Drop Mo, just can't remember if it was on his show.

Edited by Materene

• 12 years later...